F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > D-TRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 for BMW F30 335
ARMA SPEED

06-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #45
BavarianMotorWorks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I'm in for taking measurements if we can find a dyno! (Not for pooling money for D-Tronics)
I've been considering going back to the shop that had difficulty getting a baseline measurement before I installed MPPK to see if they figured sh*t out, but I've been busy.
Glad to hear Glenn that you're willing to do a comparison dyno. Hopefully someone around the NJ NY PA area has a f30 335i with only JB4 so we can get a 4th data point in our comparison.

Glenn your car is also RWD correct? And anyone know of any good dyno shops in NJ?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #46
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
FWIW regarding California BMS has also submitted their tunes for carb approval. It's a slow process though.

The Dinan tune looks promising for those who don't mind spending the money and want to keep some sort of a warranty in place without having to hide your tune. But as has been mentioned Dinan's warranty has a lot of exclusions including racing, non-Dinan performance parts, and some subjective abuse clauses. The warranty is not always as useful as you'd like. It's at least something though and probably contributes towards the much higher cost.

I read through Dinan's new pro-piggyback marketing and its mostly fluff stuff that also applies to the JB4 and any other well designed piggyback system. Their "3 day" return policy less labor is fairly comical.

Hopefully a bunch of guys buy it and start hitting up dynojets so we can see where it stands. Having more competition will encourage BMS to add more JB4 features so only good can come from this whatever tune you choose.

Mike

Why would JB4 owners tend to want to hide their tune? And if they do, it would be fraud. That increases the cost of the car for the rest of us who do not commit this fraud. I don't think it is fair to compare tunes when one of the tunes relies on the notion of carrying out fraud to balance the tables with a more expensive tune that provides a pretty reasonable warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #47
Revms1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

This is turning into a Dinan bashing against the JB tune. Let stay on topic as the price and warranty from Dinan is always going to be higher than JB tunes. Old saying is ya get what ya pay for and I'm not knocking JB at all, it's a matter of preference. So anyone pulled the trigger and ordered the Dtronics yet?
2013 M5 Alpine white full black merino interior. Bang & Olufsen audio, executive package, night vision, driver assistance, rkp carbon front lip and rear diffuser with Challenge center, m performance rear carbon spoiler,carbon interior, lci steering wheel,BMS intake,Active 8 piggy, Dinan exhaust and Wedsport Maverick 709M 20's.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #48
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Pretty sure if you make a timed run with or without any tune you void your warranty. How many people tell their SA that they tried a drag strip run, track day, airport run or autocross since the last time they were in?

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #49
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revms1 View Post
This is turning into a Dinan bashing against the JB tune. Let stay on topic as the price and warranty from Dinan is always going to be higher than JB tunes. Old saying is ya get what ya pay for and I'm not knocking JB at all, it's a matter of preference. So anyone pulled the trigger and ordered the Dtronics yet?
No one has anything of substance to add yet, even Dinan. If someone were to order it and have it installed, expect the first results to be along the lines of "Wow! This is great! The car is crazy fast now! And my exhaust burbles and sounds really aggressive! Best $2500 ever spent!" And then everyone will be asking what his new 0-60 MPH time is. Then, just maybe he'll take a speedometer video, and someone watching the video on their computer will be responsible for timing the speedometer needle with their iPhone. Perhaps a 0-60 MPH time 0.XX quicker than a stock time will be reported. And there will be much rejoicing.

It really just speaks to the demographic that Dinan targets...people who are relatively new to modding, overly cautious, easily impressed, and ask their Service Advisors if certain brands of shoes have soles which may prematurely wear their brake and throttle pedal covers and perhaps void their warranty.

It's going to be quite some time before you can find meaningful info with dynos, 1/4 mile runs, and see how the D-Tronics interacts with additional mods (downpipe, meth, race-gas, FMIC, upgraded turbo, etc.).

Give it 12-18 months, realistically.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #50
FeckinSpaceman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22' M240i

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
If it makes anyone feel better they have the new D Tronics listed for the 550i and M5

Stage 1
550i - $2999
M5 - $3499

They also are "preselling" stage 2 and 3 for them which they say will be ready for Sept.

Previous
2019 540, 2018 M3 CS, 2015 M3, 2011 550i, 2013 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #51
HelzRage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Reliable

Inquired late Friday when things may be available and was told that the MPPK compatible version as well as the electronic wastegate compatible version are both in the end stages of testing and should be released in the near future. Just in case anyone wanted to know...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #52
F30MSport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelzRage
Inquired late Friday when things may be available and was told that the MPPK compatible version as well as the electronic wastegate compatible version are both in the end stages of testing and should be released in the near future. Just in case anyone wanted to know...
Thanks for the info hopefully by then someone will have some dyno numbers or the price will drop since no one is crazy enough to pay 2k for it.
      06-26-2014, 01:51 AM   #53
ckrieg
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Considering this as an option since I'm not very fond of the idea of voiding the warranty on a $60K car for $1,500 difference over the JB4. I did that with a Subaru and got lucky that they still waranteed the motor. Don't want to test my luck twice.

Has anyone installed this yet? Curious to hear some feedback on the results!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 04:09 AM   #54
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrieg View Post
Considering this as an option since I'm not very fond of the idea of voiding the warranty on a $60K car for $1,500 difference over the JB4. I did that with a Subaru and got lucky that they still waranteed the motor. Don't want to test my luck twice.

Has anyone installed this yet? Curious to hear some feedback on the results!
You do void the original warranty. But dinan will cover the repairs instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #55
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
You do NOT "void the warranty" - it is a PARALLEL warranty where Dinan covers anything that BMW won't cover. This "voiding the warranty" business is misleading. I have owned 3 cars equipped with Dinan upgrades and never once was there any mention of "voided warranty". I never had any issues with the dealership when taking the car in for regular maintenance or anything else.

This issue has been beat to death for the past several years, so let's put it to rest. You do not lose your powertrain warranty when you install Dinan software or suspension upgrades. That extra $1500 provides an additional powertrain warranty, not a replacement. It also doesn't affect the warranty on the rest of the car itself. If you're still on the fence over this, the MPPK is the way to go. You get no warranty or other protection with Burger's products, and because they require wiring splices, they're not "undetectable". Burger makes good stuff, as does Vishnu (Procede), but it's caveat emptor (buyer beware). All that said, very very few users of any of the available tunes, either flash or piggyback, have reported serious engine damage that wasn't covered by warranty - but if a tune other than one recognized/sold by BMW dealers and approved by BMW is detected, there is a possibility that even an unrelated problem (like sheared VANOS bolts) could be denied warranty coverage.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey

Last edited by RoundelM3; 06-26-2014 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #56
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

So shouldn't the MPPK compatible version of this come out by now? Dinan said it would follow the original D-Tronic release by a week or two, but still haven't heard anything. Also, since the MPPK is a flash....maybe there actually IS a possibility of increased hp for cars with the MPPK?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #57
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
So shouldn't the MPPK compatible version of this come out by now? Dinan said it would follow the original D-Tronic release by a week or two, but still haven't heard anything. Also, since the MPPK is a flash....maybe there actually IS a possibility of increased hp for cars with the MPPK?
August.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #58
BavarianMotorWorks
Captain
Rep

To be honest I don't know how anyone can buy this tune with the info we have right now. The fact of the matter is if this dinan tune is double the price of the BMW one it better perform nearly double the BMW tune. Because if it just matches the numbers what's the point...

Dinan you just released a F30 tune and this is one of the, if not biggest F30 forums . Where is the dyno charts showing before and after? I can't imagine with all the time you spent making this tune you wouldn't have done dynos.

I'll even be doing a 4 way dyno comparison in a couple weeks between stock, old mppk, new mppk, and jb4. Send me one to try out and I'll add it to the comparison.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #59
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianMotorWorks View Post
To be honest I don't know how anyone can buy this tune with the info we have right now. The fact of the matter is if this dinan tune is double the price of the BMW one it better perform nearly double the BMW tune. Because if it just matches the numbers what's the point...

Dinan you just released a F30 tune and this is one of the, if not biggest F30 forums . Where is the dyno charts showing before and after? I can't imagine with all the time you spent making this tune you wouldn't have done dynos.

I'll even be doing a 4 way dyno comparison in a couple weeks between stock, old mppk, new mppk, and jb4. Send me one to try out and I'll add it to the comparison.
So Dinan quoted 327/355 on the old PPK:

Let's use that as basis for comparison in a few weeks, as their quote is 364/377 on their website after drivetrain loss (assuming a 12% loss according to his youtube video)=325/336, which is almost exactly the same as the PPK from his video.

If I can come at 320/335 on a dyno, i'd be stoked.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #60
BavarianMotorWorks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
So Dinan quoted 327/355 on the old PPK:

Let's use that as basis for comparison in a few weeks, as their quote is 364/377 on their website after drivetrain loss (assuming a 12% loss according to his youtube video)=325/336, which is almost exactly the same as the PPK from his video.

If I can come at 320/335 on a dyno, i'd be stoked.
I'd really like to compare to those numbers but different dyno, conditions, etc.

I mean dinan took the time dyno a BMW tune and has numbers to show. You're telling me they can't post up numbers for their OWN tune?!?!

I really think the dinan tune won't offer much more if not the same as the MPPK and anyone would be dumb to buy it as it offers no benefit over the BMW one.

I really wish someone from the NJ NY area would buy one and dyno their car with us lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #61
aenima4six2
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C + 2019 Ford Raptor

Looks like its been a while since the last post. Any updates regarding tunes and real Dyno numbers?
Appreciate 0