F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Manual or 8speed Auto
ARMA SPEED
View Poll Results: 6speed Manual or 8speed Auto ZF
6speed manual 60 51.28%
8speed AUTO ZF 57 48.72%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

12-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #45
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
The z4 has a sport exhaust so i could hear it...not sure how its going to sound in the F30. Didn't really test the auto. I did realize when i was in sport mode(which is the same as sport+ except WITH traction on) is that when you nudge it over to manual mode, it goes right into manual mode, it doesnt go into DS, which im guess is now replace with just "D" except when you are in sport mode, it will always shift sporty.(sorry if thats confusing.) The thing pulls hard in 2nd, much much harder than the N52 in my 328i.

Other neat thing i noticed, was when i came to a stop in manual mode, the car goes into 1st. The zf in my 335 always went into second when i stopped(which wasnt really an issue with the N54 motor) but i like that it goes to 1st. It did downshift gears pretty quickly, going from like 8to3 i was impressed. Upshifts are super quick, noticeably quicker than the ZF in my 335.

Yea, was going to get red leather, ended up getting black. WHile ordering the dealer said the only way he was able to build with black leather, was i had to also get the fold down rear seats$475. I will be taking care of that bullshit monday.
Did you like the sound you could hear from the Z4's sport exhaust? How would you compare it to the N52 or even the N54 engine?

Good to hear about the transmission. My Mazda doesn't have paddle shifters but I can still use manual mode with the stick (pull back for upshifts, push forward for down shifts). When I stop the car the auto goes automatically into 1st gear also. I'm surprised your current 335 doesn't do that. Did you just use the paddles for shifting or did you also try the stick?

Regarding the black leather and the fold down seats, don't let the dealer fool you. I saw you posting in other threads that the dealer did it in front of you on the computer. I'm thinking that can probably be easily manipulated as well. These dealers have all kinds of tricks to force customers to pay more. There is nothing in the info posted here on this forum that says black leather requires fold down seats. One is part of the ZPP the other part of the ZCWP. What about the people who just want to order ZPP without the ZCWP?

Anyway, if that really turns out to be real requirement and there is no way around it, that is all the more reason for me to not want leather seats. I'm perfectly happy with leatherette anyway. But good luck to you and hopefully it all works out for the best.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #46
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer View Post
Did you like the sound you could hear from the Z4's sport exhaust? How would you compare it to the N52 or even the N54 engine?

Good to hear about the transmission. My Mazda doesn't have paddle shifters but I can still use manual mode with the stick (pull back for upshifts, push forward for down shifts). When I stop the car the auto goes automatically into 1st gear also. I'm surprised your current 335 doesn't do that. Did you just use the paddles for shifting or did you also try the stick?

Regarding the black leather and the fold down seats, don't let the dealer fool you. I saw you posting in other threads that the dealer did it in front of you on the computer. I'm thinking that can probably be easily manipulated as well. These dealers have all kinds of tricks to force customers to pay more. There is nothing in the info posted here on this forum that says black leather requires fold down seats. One is part of the ZPP the other part of the ZCWP. What about the people who just want to order ZPP without the ZCWP?

Anyway, if that really turns out to be real requirement and there is no way around it, that is all the more reason for me to not want leather seats. I'm perfectly happy with leatherette anyway. But good luck to you and hopefully it all works out for the best.
The engine sounded nice, the exhaust was loud, but this is a tottally differnt exhaust setup then the F30, this had a sport exhasut. Not gonna lie, it felt like 335 torque, maybe cause the Z4 is 300lbs lighter than my 335, but same weight as F30 328. I will be more than happy with the N20 motor, will be no second doubting if i should have go the 335. Never tries the little joystick shifter, not a fan of that. Also prefer bmw's older paddles where each paddle did up and down. But i will get used to the new way. Still cant get over how fast it upshifts.

I will be taking care of the fold down seats bull shit. My dad knows and engineer at BMWNA, he will ask for who i should talk to about this. If i just call my dealer GM, he gonna tell me we tried....... Have to get someone official.
      12-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #47
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

FYI, more info on the ZF 8-speed transmission:

Car & Driver sidebar - IIRC from the issue with the initial F10 review
ZF page with ~7min video - note: shifts in 200ms
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #48
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Had a 6MT 2007 328i and now have a 2011 X3 35i. Very impressed with the 8 speed auto. I never really shift it in manual mode as it's so smart and smooth. For me I would like to go back to a manual in the new 3 but need to see if the x-drive cars will come in manual as the 5's do not currently.

Anyone else think it's weird that the new 3 does not have an electronic e-brake? My 2011 A4 did and the X3 does. At first I thought it was dumb and I liked the mechanical nature of it but it frees up some console space.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #49
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbw View Post
Manual = more fun, more control.

Quote:

Paddles give you the same fun and control.
Not based on my past experience. I always feel more connected to the road with a manual. I'll be doing a test drive and an 8-speed does seem nice, but BMW manuals are one of the best in the world and I don't expect the test drive will reveal anything different.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #50
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Manual, I don't care if I shift slower than computers, part of the fun is rowing my own gears.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #51
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Manual for me! With and Auto, I'd feel I'd be becoming a lazy bum!
      12-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #52
Speeze
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
Manual, I don't care if I shift slower than computers, part of the fun is rowing my own gears.
Me too. Without shifting I feel less connected to the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #53
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeze View Post
Me too. Without shifting I feel less connected to the car.
Sadly I feel like magazine stats are taking precedence to actual fun in some cases.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #54
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
Sadly I feel like magazine stats are taking precedence to actual fun in some cases.
Magazines and folk's preference for paper wins is what is leading so many companies to kill off manuals all together. Of course a driver can't shift as quickly as a dual clutch transmission, and for a track only car, I'd prefer a dual clutch. But for a daily driven, fun car, I'll always prefer a manual, even if it's not as fast as the same version with a computer controlled box.

For the same reason that there are convertible versions of sports cars available, there should always be the option for a three pedal version. Let folks who care about statistical wins buy the automated transmissions, I'll continue to prefer being able to truly control the choices.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #55
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

MANUAL ALL THE WAY... NO COMPROMISE ON PURE FUN, AND THE MERIT, AND THE CONNECTION YOU GET...

iT'S JUST DIFFERENT: a different philosophy of driving, a different mentality that should not be lost... i truly believe that manual drivers are somehow better driver...
we probably should have statistics on which type of cars get more into accident?

the Involvement, the Engagement, the Anticipation, the FOCUS on the 3 seconds ahead...

Driving a manual means that you are always looking ahead and trying to be 3 steps in front of what you are doing...

as opposed to simply reacting ... as opposed to simply taking the easy way out letting the car shift while you sleep... or talk on the phone, or do your make up, or shave, or ...

In a manual, you are always looking for clues, you have too... no choice...
that alone makes anyone driving a manual transmission a better, more engaging, safer driver in the proper sense of what driving should be.

i simply Can't wait for my F30 335i MT
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #56
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
MANUAL ALL THE WAY... NO COMPROMISE ON PURE FUN, AND THE MERIT, AND THE CONNECTION YOU GET...

iT'S JUST DIFFERENT: a different philosophy of driving, a different mentality that should not be lost... i truly believe that manual drivers are somehow better driver...
we probably should have statistics on which type of cars get more into accident?

the Involvement, the Engagement, the Anticipation, the FOCUS on the 3 seconds ahead...

Driving a manual means that you are always looking ahead and trying to be 3 steps in front of what you are doing...

as opposed to simply reacting ... as opposed to simply taking the easy way out letting the car shift while you sleep... or talk on the phone, or do your make up, or shave, or ...

In a manual, you are always looking for clues, you have too... no choice...
that alone makes anyone driving a manual transmission a better, more engaging, safer driver in the proper sense of what driving should be.

i simply Can't wait for my F30 335i MT
Don't automatically assume that you are better driver just because you drive a manual.

FIY, I drive an automatic but I'm equally capable of driving a manual as well. I don't text, drink or shave while I'm driving. When I was driving a car with manual I was quite capable of talking on the phone and smoking a cigarette at the same time. Coincidentally, I'm more focused on driving now than when I was driving a manual. I've never had an accident......knock on wood.

Further more, automatics with manual capabilities such as BMW's are just as fun as regular manual.

Bottom line: you have fun and I have fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #57
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Thumbs up

Quote:
Don't automatically assume that you are better driver just because you drive a manual.

FIY, I drive an automatic but I'm equally capable of driving a manual as well. I don't text, drink or shave while I'm driving. When I was driving a car with manual I was quite capable of talking on the phone and smoking a cigarette at the same time. Coincidentally, I'm more focused on driving now than when I was driving a manual. I've never had an accident......knock on wood.

Further more, automatics with manual capabilities such as BMW's are just as fun as regular manual.

Bottom line: you have fun and I have fun.

i perfectly understand what you mean

The reason being is you have driven a manual before...
you know the basic skills of driving, because driving a manual requires that from you...

But i am talking about those people who have only driven automatic cars all their lives... it does not necessarily comes naturally to them as far as what to look for around them to anticipate...

i can drive an automatic car as well, but when i do, i apply the knowledge i have driving the manual...

I really wish more people driving only automatics be exposed to driving a manual, so the know their car better.... not just gas and brake...
to understand that they (cars) have higher limits and can be pushed further...

I am not arguing with you...

I do agree with what you say because we both know how to drive manuals...

but i would feel less frustrated if more people started driving with manual,
and see how much pleasure you could have out of those... instead of a boring commute (relaxing is what most people would say...)

questions of perspective...

And please Keep right people
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #58
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

DCT???
      12-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #59
jon328i
Wheelmaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39, S209, VB-WRX

I prefer shifting gears myself
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #60
7or8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09' 335i 6MT MSport

I've been driving manual for so long that I kinda get bored when my left foot is just laying there.

My wife has a GTI with a DSG. I love the car... but I just don't get the same feeling of involvement, even when using the paddles...maybe because I know I don't have to, the car will take over if I decide not to shift. If I was forced into an automatic at some point I'd probably have to take up left foot braking so my left leg wouldn't go into atrophy..lol
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #61
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7or8 View Post
I've been driving manual for so long that I kinda get bored when my left foot is just laying there.

My wife has a GTI with a DSG. I love the car... but I just don't get the same feeling of involvement, even when using the paddles...maybe because I know I don't have to, the car will take over if I decide not to shift. If I was forced into an automatic at some point I'd probably have to take up left foot braking so my left leg wouldn't go into atrophy..lol
I do that. I had knee surgery a few years ago and had to drive my (now ex) wife's auto Audi and couldn't move my right foot from the gas pedal to the brake, so had to left foot brake. The first few days were terrifying for myself and everyone around me, but I slowly got better and still drive my wife's auto 135i that way.

I've driven dual clutch cars too and just don't feel that they have the same amount of engine braking that a manual provides and certainly no automatic does. I don't know if it's as simple as flywheel mass or if there's more involved on DSG's, but maybe someone will get it right. To be fair, I have only driven the VW and BMW ones, I have yet to drive a Porsche one.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #62
7or8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09' 335i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I do that. I had knee surgery a few years ago and had to drive my (now ex) wife's auto Audi and couldn't move my right foot from the gas pedal to the brake, so had to left foot brake. The first few days were terrifying for myself and everyone around me, but I slowly got better and still drive my wife's auto 135i that way.
Interesting..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #63
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

I am not even going to be thinking about buying a new car for at least 5 more years (hopefully). But it probably will be a used F30 when I eventually do get another car. I would try to hold out for a 335i (after it gets its eventual power bump) M-Sport 6spd Estoril Blue w/ black leather. :drool
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 05:50 AM   #64
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I'm going to order my 335i tomorrow.

Dutch prices are weird because of the CO2 taxes here:

335i 6MT base: euro 52,900,-
335i Auto 8 speed base: euro 52,655,-

So 245,- euros MORE for the 6MT!
Nonetheless I'm going back to the 6MT.

And even weirder:
328i 6MT base: euro 41,900,- (so you only get the engine, the gearbox, chassis, 4 wheels and tyres and a body LOL, talking about base)
328i Auto 8 speed base: euro 44,180,-

But as a form of a discount the first two months of ordering in 2012 the autobox is for free or something like that , some christmas gift from BMW.NL whatever....
Appreciate 0