F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Spotify on an F30 NBT - 2014 328D
Studio RSR

06-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
anthonyc4242
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i X-Drive

Spotify on an F30 NBT - 2014 328D

So I'm not too pleased right now because Spotify refuses to work via Bluetooth because the NBT only supports Apple Native Applications. So now I'm using a wired USB connection which I don't prefer but considering it charges my phone and it's supposivly better audio quality I'd figure it's no big deal? WELL now I cannot change the song or search through Spotify, it disables the entire APPLICATION! And it will only let you go to the next and previous song as if it's some sort of CD player?! Really?! I cannot even view my playlists or search!?

NOT HAPPY!

Last edited by anthonyc4242; 06-27-2015 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #2
stanleyy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i xDrive

What do you mean by "Spotify refuses to work via Bluetooth because the NBT only supports Apple Native Applications" ?
I have a 2 weeks old F31 and the latest version of Spotify on my iPhone 6 and it works without problems via Bluetooth (A2DP).
I have to start the Spotify app on the iPhone first, switch source to external device and then it starts streaming automatically.
I can switch to the next or previous track via iDrive. The only thing that doesn't work properly via Bluetooth is update of metadata (this is a known issue and it was never working properly in any BMW model)

When the iPhone is connected via cable and if you have the "apps" feature in your car, you can fully control the Spotify app via iDrive, including browsing of playlists. Custom keywords search is NOT allowed via iDrive (I guess for safety reasons?).
But you can browse your playlists, Spotify radio stations etc.
Greeting from Slovakia!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
Alamat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi Sport Line

I have Spotify working on my 2014 F32 over BT. Metadata like Stanleyy says still does not update with every song but otherwise....
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 05:38 AM   #4
jdmagoo
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 328i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc4242 View Post
So I'm not too pleased right now because Spotify refuses to work via Bluetooth because the NBT only supports Apple Native Applications. So now I'm using a wired USB connection which I don't prefer but considering it charges my phone and it's supposivly better audio quality I'd figure it's no big deal? WELL now I cannot change the song or search through Spotify, it disables the entire APPLICATION! And it will only let you go to the next and previous song as if it's some sort of CD player?! Really?! I cannot even view my playlists or search!?

NOT HAPPY!

Well this is interesting!! Is this a factory installed NBT or after market? The reason I ask is because here in Australia BMW have had to lock out spotify whilst in motion, so when the hand brake and gear in in park spotify works fine, however whenever one of these changes spotify is disabled as per your description.

If it's a factory installed then you are the first person in the U.S. that I've heard has this problem, and unfortunately it cannot be coded out - I've spent weekends trying but no luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Spotify is working like that in your car because you are in the External Device mode and not in the BMW Apps mode.

Get out of there and look for the Spotify icon in your display. Click it and that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc4242 View Post

NOT HAPPY!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
jdmagoo
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 328i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Spotify is working like that in your car because you are in the External Device mode and not in the BMW Apps mode.

Get out of there and look for the Spotify icon in your display. Click it and that's it.
Hopefully that's it for the op. Here in Australia that doesn't work but I'm not fussed now. I've ditched spotify and am using apple music which integrates better here without the same in motion restrictions that spotify has.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
cindyk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i XDrive

Hi, I used the BMW app with Spotify and could navigate Spotify with no problem BUT the sound sucked. The sound was so bad that I doubt I will ever use it again.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #8
PennSt8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i, 2020 BMW M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyk View Post
Hi, I used the BMW app with Spotify and could navigate Spotify with no problem BUT the sound sucked. The sound was so bad that I doubt I will ever use it again.
Have you checked your streaming quality settings in Spotify?