F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Is my service advisor lying to me?
proTUNING Freaks

12-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #23
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22
I would try bedding in the brakes as described. I was working on a supercharged Range Rover once that persistently had noisy brakes (big Brembos) I took the pads out and very carefully cleaned and lubricated everything, twice - and it still squeaked.

I finally did a full bed-in procedure and that cured it. I've replaced dozens upon dozens of brakes, and that was the only vehicle that NEEDED it. Some just do I guess.
Youve done dozens of brakes and NEVER bedded them?! Thats standard procedure on any high perf brake systems.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #24
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbmw87
So, here's the story. Took my car in yesterday for a few items to get checked.

1.) Steering wheel emits a loud squeak when turning the wheel
2.) Car claims it needs more washer fluid - but when I go to put more in, the reservoir is full
3.) Brakes squeaking like none other

They had the car over night last night and I received a call from my SA earlier this afternoon. He asked what washer fluid I was using and I told him Rain-X. He said it is not BMW approved and the sensors couldn't detect it (new one to me). Also, they cleaned the brakes and didn't see anything wrong. As for the steering wheel squeak, they couldn't find anything wrong. I sent them a sound clip, and they are still trying to listen for the squeak. The SA then tells me that their technicians do not get paid for problems that don't get fixed, so if they can't find anything wrong or fix anything - I'm essentially wasting the technicians' time when they could be earning money on something else. He also said they can only spend so much time on a particular car. Guess I'm a little confused by this - BMW technicians only get paid on problems that are fixed???

Here's another one that got me - I was also told that if they spent time looking for something wrong by removing the steering wheel and found nothing wrong, BMW would not pay for it and it would be on me?!
SA is confused. These are half truths. The question here is to find out if he is intentionally lying or just an honest mistake.

In a non warranty repair, you must pay for techs time even if he can't find a fault.

If the car is under warranty, the tech is obligated to fix the problem. If the tech can't fix the problem then the tech must escalate.

It is a well understood phenomenon that some problems are intermittent. So, the tech would need to do a lot more than just a single visit to conclude that there is no problem.

If you can document the problem with pictures or a movie, or if you can reproduce the problem and show the tech, even if it takes more than one visit, then you can't be charged for the shops failure to repair a car under warranty. Again, if the car is not under warranty, then they can charge you for diagnostic time---even if it does not lead to repair.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #25
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Youve done dozens of brakes and NEVER bedded them?! Thats standard procedure on any high perf brake systems.
Well those dozens of brake jobs were not exactly high performance applications. Just daily-driver GM, Ford, Honda, etc. applications. I'd bet >99% of brake jobs done in "professional" garages don't get a full bed-in procedure like the one described by Stop-Tech. http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...-system-bed-in

At most they usually just get driven around the block to make sure nothing is wrong.

And most brake pad manufacturers don't suggest doing the above listed bed-in. Most just say to brake gently for the first 300-500 miles and actually avoid high speed, high heat stops during that time.

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 12-14-2012 at 03:17 AM..
Appreciate 0