F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > My Experience with Eagle Eyes Headlights
ARMA SPEED

09-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
TheDarkKnight01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bmw 320i Jet Black

My Experience with Eagle Eyes Headlights

I just got my new eagle eyes headlights installed the other day. I'm more than happy with them and i think they look great! They are super bright and the fit was pretty much spot on. I did some research before buying them and it seems like many other people have purchased them as well. There is a few things i have discovered that i would like to share with anyone else that has or is thinking about ordering a set of these lights. I know some other people were wondering if you could turn off the inside projector LED and just have the "U" shaped LEDS run, and the answer is yes, you can. If you unscrew the cap on top of the headlights and look down inside you will see the LED board and a few other connections. If you unplug the clip with the green wires it will turn off the LED panel while still leaving the resistor and warning bulb cancelor still plugged in. This way you wont get an error message on your dash. I also have a question for some others that have stock projectors or even aftermarket projectors. I am searching for a good HID kit to put in here because the stock bulbs are yellow and look like crap to be honest. I want a good kit that will bot give me any flickering or warning messages. I also need a kit that will match these LEDS inside the lights, i think that 6000k will match the closest but i would like some feedback from you guys. Here are some pictures of the install and finished product

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
BossF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White IG:BMWBOSSLIFE

I am running GP Thunder bulbs. These bulbs being halogen produce no errors on the dash, eliminating the need to code. They give a color that matches the rings. Only downfall is they are not bright like hids or led headlights. Eventually, I will go led and code out. But this look is great for now, especially knowing that you won't melt something or short something out.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

How difficult was it to remove the headlights?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
TheDarkKnight01
Private
Rep

The headlights were not too bad, I've definitely had worse. So I I want to put and HID kit in I would have to get the light coded out ? I've made up my mind that I want to go HID but I just want a color that will match.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

aftermarket HID here.

there are so many good HID kits out there - i just got mine off amazon. looks like you already know what color you want - 6000k is prob the most popular color temp, so you won't have a problem there. some other considerations:

1. make sure you get the right bulb fitment/type to match your current bulb - e.g. h1, h7, h4, 9006, ...
2. make sure you get warning cancellers for flicker since BMW uses PWM on their halogens to prolong halogen bulb life (or you could code it out if you don't want to spend $$$ on extra hardware)
3. i would stick with 55w HID kit and avoid 35w kits even though most sellers would tell you that 55w kits are unnecessary/overkill. The CAN system will try to detect if the bulb is out and a 35w kit rated lower than the OEM 55w system may result in a dash error if it reads a lower load than expected. Haven't confirmed that though. IMO, its just best to avoid that possibility... this you could also code out too if needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 12:16 AM   #6
TheDarkKnight01
Private
Rep

So Number 2 confused me a little bit. If I get the warning light coded out then I won't need any additional hardware or would I still need it? Do yours flicker at all, and can any dealership code out the warning light ?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
TheDarkKnight01
Private
Rep

I guess the biggest questions is what color matches the LEDS in the eagle eyes the best ? It looks like 6000k would be the closest.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #8
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight01 View Post
I guess the biggest questions is what color matches the LEDS in the eagle eyes the best ? It looks like 6000k would be the closest.
it looks like 8k to me, there more than just a slight hint of blue on those leds, its not deep blue either which would be closer to 10k and is more color than actual light, so again to clear it up one more time 8k seems tobe what would match those leds better in my opinion
      09-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #9
BossF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White IG:BMWBOSSLIFE

No these are closer to 6k...there is no "hint" of blue...they are oem white...go with 6k
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 02:37 AM   #10
WarrENDeatH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic Type R

Question to OP, anyway you could post more pictures of your car with the headlights? The few you have, while great, are few and I'd like to see more angles with it. I have been considering these as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #11
TheDarkKnight01
Private
Rep

Yeah I will have to agree with bossf30 these look more like 6k. I just wanted to hear from someone that has actually successfully matched them up already. I guess 6k it is. WarrENDeatH you will not regret these lights, they look really good at night. I'll post some more pictures later. It can be kind of hard to capture the actual glow of the LED because they are rather bight but I'll get the best that I can.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #12
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrENDeatH View Post
Question to OP, anyway you could post more pictures of your car with the headlights? The few you have, while great, are few and I'd like to see more angles with it. I have been considering these as well.
Here's a few with my car.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #13
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So Number 2 confused me a little bit. If I get the warning light coded out then I won't need any additional hardware or would I still need it? Do yours flicker at all, and can any dealership code out the warning light ?
Sorry... by extra hardware, i meant the warning cancellers.

Yeah, for your situation (pair of HIDs for low-beams) its either or. Code it out, and don't need cancellers .... get cancellers, and no need for coding. Its a hardware solution or a software solution. You don't need both. i doubt the dealership will do any FDL coding for you, but i don't know for sure...

mine don't flicker... but my set up is different than most people as i'm running quad hids
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #14
TheDarkKnight01
Private
Rep

Ahh, got it. Thanks for clearing that up. I have heard of people successfully getting dealers to do coding and some haven't so I guess I'll take a chance with that. If I don't get any luck going that direction I guess I'll just stick with the hardware. . Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #15
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

i can't weigh in on your color issue as i don't have the EE lights, but i had to lol at your dilemma

it annoys me, and every other OCD person on this forum to no end when you're trying to match all your LED light colors to the same pure white color and vendors who advertise a "pure white 6000k light" sends you something that is so obviously blue/purple that it makes you wonder if they are two different products... or just lying through the skin of their teeth just to make more sales
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 03:56 PM   #16
TheDarkKnight01
Private
Rep

Well I want it to look uniform lol , like it's actually one light. I will agree that I am borderline OCD. I have learned to come to terms with it
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 12:26 AM   #17
WarrENDeatH
Private First Class
Rep

I have seen a lot of people complain about the EE's looking cheap and not OEM but those look pretty damn good. They looked a tad washed out during the day (not as focused or brilliant as the angel eyes) perhaps this is the picture not focusing on the right spots? Otherwise, they look really, really sharp.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 12:31 AM   #18
WarrENDeatH
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I will have to agree with bossf30 these look more like 6k. I just wanted to hear from someone that has actually successfully matched them up already. I guess 6k it is. WarrENDeatH you will not regret these lights, they look really good at night. I'll post some more pictures later. It can be kind of hard to capture the actual glow of the LED because they are rather bight but I'll get the best that I can.
However you can, I would really appreciate it. The biggest complaint I have with the car is the cheap ass halogen lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #19
TheDarkKnight01
Private
Rep

I was very skeptical at first. I hesitated to make the purchase, but I took a $400 shot in the dark and I'm so glad I did. I have had people just stare at the front when I pass by. They seriously stand out. The thing I like about them the most is that they are unique, I did read a couple posts about people not liking the half "U" shape. The shape doesn't really bother me at all. If anything I like it just as much if not more than the traditional angel eyes. I went with the black EE because I have a murdered out look going on (literally), so I didn't want the chrome ones to stick out too much.
Unless you are familiar with BMW and know the style of lights that the car comes with you would never know they weren't stock. The fitment is nearly spot on and I did very little light beam adjustment after I installed them. They were almost aligned perfectly. For once I couldn't have asked for a smoother install. The most tedious part was making sure everything lined back up correctly (bumper to hood gap).
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 11:14 PM   #20
giraffewt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Do you still need a error canceller with 55w hid?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 02:11 AM   #21
WarrENDeatH
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I was very skeptical at first. I hesitated to make the purchase, but I took a $400 shot in the dark and I'm so glad I did. I have had people just stare at the front when I pass by. They seriously stand out. The thing I like about them the most is that they are unique, I did read a couple posts about people not liking the half "U" shape. The shape doesn't really bother me at all. If anything I like it just as much if not more than the traditional angel eyes. I went with the black EE because I have a murdered out look going on (literally), so I didn't want the chrome ones to stick out too much.
Unless you are familiar with BMW and know the style of lights that the car comes with you would never know they weren't stock. The fitment is nearly spot on and I did very little light beam adjustment after I installed them. They were almost aligned perfectly. For once I couldn't have asked for a smoother install. The most tedious part was making sure everything lined back up correctly (bumper to hood gap).
Pretty much sums up how I feel right now. Very hesitant in regards to throwing the money out. Not really worried about fitting it in the actual car, as I know plenty of people who would make it into a fun Saturday.

I would definitely appreciate more pictures though. I also absolutely adore black (Huge Batman fan) but mine is Silver (Chrome Trooper, as I call her).
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #22
TheDarkKnight01
Private
Rep

Lol , for some reason black always seems to get me. It's just elegant. Do you prefer night or day time pics ?
Appreciate 0