F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT Retrofit - New Member Question(s)
Studio RSR

02-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
bwilly12
Rep
Drives: 2013 335ix

NBT Retrofit - New Member Question(s)

Hi All,

Thanks for reading/helping in advance. I also apologize in advance if these questions are a bit simple. I've been a long time reader of the forum but just recently registered. I am looking for some help to get started on the journey of upgrading my F30, 2013 335ix.

I'm really interested in upgrading my navigation system from CIC Professional to NBT or NBT EVO. I've done car upgrades/mod's previously but nothing on my 335 (yet). That said, I've read dozens and dozens of posts on this topic but still seem to have some questions.

First, what exactly do I need to complete this upgrade/retrofit? My understand is:
  • 8.8'' Screen
  • NBT Unit
  • Misc. Wiring/Harness

Is this all, am I missing anything critical? I see BimmerTech sells the EVO but, man, that is expensive at nearly $3,000 USD. It looks like EBAY may be a slightly less expensive option but that leads me back to not being sure what I need to complete the retrofit/upgrade.

I do have the Head Up display, Voice Control, Enhanced BT and other things that I prefer to keep working--is that something I should be concerned about?

Also, the car is still CPO and makes routine visits back to BMW. I am very nervous that they will reject anything I do in terms of upgrades. Is this something I need to be concerned about? Should I wait until my CPO runs out? Does anyone have any experience here?

Again, sorry for the newbie questions--really just trying to get into this and get a better understanding of what to expect.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
mortlock7
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 320d

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Having a professional nav system means you probably have a combox in your boot (it's under the false floor in the boot if you just want to double check) - this combox operates your enhanced bluetooth etc but these functionalities are built into the NBT HU so you'll have to route all of the wires that go to the combox to the back of the new HU which is a bit of a job. I don't know much about this though.

You'll need to do something to enable the navigation and voice control too. When you install a HU from another car the VIN will be different so the car blocks nav and voice control functions. This can be re-enabled with an emulator (easily found online but I may have one up for sale shortly) or with Fsc code generation (fscmap.com can do this via the usb port).

I imagine some things will need coding too which can be done with an ENET cable and E-sys software however I don't know what things exactly need doing. I guess HU_NBT ecu will need VO coding. Email Shawn Sheridan and he will probably be able to tell you exactly what is required.

CPO - that's a difficult question .How long is remaining? Looking at the screen, it'd be hard to tell it's any different but I imagine if they plugged in and read all the VIN and Fsc codes then they may notice that it isn't the original system and has been tampered with.
      02-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
bwilly12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortlock7 View Post
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Having a professional nav system means you probably have a combox in your boot (it's under the false floor in the boot if you just want to double check) - this combox operates your enhanced bluetooth etc but these functionalities are built into the NBT HU so you'll have to route all of the wires that go to the combox to the back of the new HU which is a bit of a job. I don't know much about this though.

You'll need to do something to enable the navigation and voice control too. When you install a HU from another car the VIN will be different so the car blocks nav and voice control functions. This can be re-enabled with an emulator (easily found online but I may have one up for sale shortly) or with Fsc code generation (fscmap.com can do this via the usb port).

I imagine some things will need coding too which can be done with an ENET cable and E-sys software however I don't know what things exactly need doing. I guess HU_NBT ecu will need VO coding. Email Shawn Sheridan and he will probably be able to tell you exactly what is required.

CPO - that's a difficult question .How long is remaining? Looking at the screen, it'd be hard to tell it's any different but I imagine if they plugged in and read all the VIN and Fsc codes then they may notice that it isn't the original system and has been tampered with.
Thank you very much for the reply, I was beginning to think that I wouldn't get any since it can be painful to help new people out.

That said, I definitely understand there is probably not a straight answer on the CPO/warranty stuff. Just curious if anyone has had any experience but I suppose ymmv based on the dealer and if someone is having a bad day. My CPO still has 60k miles and I have the extended maintenance for another 60-70k miles--hence my hesitation.

When I get home, I'll look in to trunk (boot) for the Combox to see if I can find it. If I have to re-route all the wires from the trunk to the back of the NBT Nav... that may be a deterrent but really just takes time, I think. This is the first I've ever heard of this step before and exactly why I'm seeking help on the forums from more experienced people. Perhaps it would be helpful to provide the exact version I have? I can see if I can grab that this evening as well (assuming I can find it within the iDrive menu/details).

I've read a bit about the VIN numbers and needing an emulator or a FSC code but I'm not terribly familiar with this--just read it a few times. That said, it seemed to be pretty easy to overcome with an extra module/adapter (which I believe is the emulator)?

Last, coding. I know this likely is a given--and I'll have to figure that out (ie: read more) or look for some help through the forums. I really prefer a complete plug/play solution if possible but that does not sound to be an option for me.

I'll report back with more updates/details after this evening.

If it is helpful my car is coded with the following options:
  • S609 - Navigation System Professional
  • S610 - Head-up display
  • S6AA - BMW Teleservices
  • S6AB - Control for Teleservices
  • S6NF - Music interface for smartphone
  • S6NL - Connection Bluetooth + USB devices
  • S6NR - Apps
  • S6WA - Instrument cluster, expanded equipment

Are there any other codes that are helpful to know? I'll also take and post some picture of the screens to provide more information.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
mortlock7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilly12 View Post
Thank you very much for the reply, I was beginning to think that I wouldn't get any since it can be painful to help new people out.

That said, I definitely understand there is probably not a straight answer on the CPO/warranty stuff. Just curious if anyone has had any experience but I suppose ymmv based on the dealer and if someone is having a bad day. My CPO still has 60k miles and I have the extended maintenance for another 60-70k miles--hence my hesitation.

When I get home, I'll look in to trunk (boot) for the Combox to see if I can find it. If I have to re-route all the wires from the trunk to the back of the NBT Nav... that may be a deterrent but really just takes time, I think. This is the first I've ever heard of this step before and exactly why I'm seeking help on the forums from more experienced people. Perhaps it would be helpful to provide the exact version I have? I can see if I can grab that this evening as well (assuming I can find it within the iDrive menu/details).

I've read a bit about the VIN numbers and needing an emulator or a FSC code but I'm not terribly familiar with this--just read it a few times. That said, it seemed to be pretty easy to overcome with an extra module/adapter (which I believe is the emulator)?

Last, coding. I know this likely is a given--and I'll have to figure that out (ie: read more) or look for some help through the forums. I really prefer a complete plug/play solution if possible but that does not sound to be an option for me.

I'll report back with more updates/details after this evening.

If it is helpful my car is coded with the following options:
  • S609 - Navigation System Professional
  • S610 - Head-up display
  • S6AA - BMW Teleservices
  • S6AB - Control for Teleservices
  • S6NF - Music interface for smartphone
  • S6NL - Connection Bluetooth + USB devices
  • S6NR - Apps
  • S6WA - Instrument cluster, expanded equipment

Are there any other codes that are helpful to know? I'll also take and post some picture of the screens to provide more information.

Based on your list of codes, I'm confident you will have a combox to manage the enhanced bluetooth etc. I don't think rerouting the wires is a difficult job, it just means pulling up a bit of carpet etc so is more just an inconvenience than a complication.

The emulator can be bought as a plug&play module that goes between the donor HU and the original wiring loom (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plug-and-p...cAAOSwJ7RYWmwr) - I'd shop around though as that seems expensive. They're easy to fit, just make sure you position it in such a way that when you push the HU back in it doesn't get trapped and squash wires as it is relatively tight back there. Further to this, I believe I read somewhere that the white USB cable for NBT needs the tabs on the plug shaving off so it can be plugged in 180° to where it should be, otherwise the USB in the armrest does not work. There'll be more about that on other threads on here.

There are various people around the country that do coding for a living so it'd be possible to take the car to them once the hardware is in and have them do the coding for you, along with any other options that can be enabled too. Saying that I believe companies like Bimmer Tech (https://www.bimmer-tech.net/) can do coding for these sort of retrofits remotely.
      02-16-2017, 05:13 AM   #5
mortlock7
Private
Rep

I forgot to mention as well, often plugging in the emulator causes issues with VO coding, so if you use one do the VO coding first, then plug the emulator in
      02-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #6
bwilly12
Rep

Quote:
I forgot to mention as well, often plugging in the emulator causes issues with VO coding, so if you use one do the VO coding first, then plug the emulator in
Thanks, again for all the help and advice thus far.

I took a look in the trunk this weekend and definitely can confirm I have a combox. Interestingly, I think my 2013 already has the 8.8 screen. I forgot to take a picture of it this weekend to post but I'll work on that part.

Is anyone familiar with a CIC Pro Nav unit in a 2013 (build date Jan, 2013) but has the 8.8 screen instead of the 6.5? I'll assume one measures the screen like a TV (on a diagonal) since I don't have both to compare against.

Still mulling this idea over... I really don't think i want to move all the existing wires.. I'd rather extend them with an extender/additional wire OR run completely new wires from the HU_NBT to the various components. With the warranty and such, I'm not keen on removing anything just yet.

Since this post has nearly 300 views, I'll assume as least some people are interested in this or have some similar situation so I'll keep this going if/when I move forward with the project
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

I took a look in the trunk this weekend and definitely can confirm I have a combox. Interestingly, I think my 2013 already has the 8.8 screen. I forgot to take a picture of it this weekend to post but I'll work on that part.

Is anyone familiar with a CIC Pro Nav unit in a 2013 (build date Jan, 2013) but has the 8.8 screen instead of the 6.5? I'll assume one measures the screen like a TV (on a diagonal) since I don't have both to compare against.

Still mulling this idea over... I really don't think i want to move all the existing wires.. I'd rather extend them with an extender/additional wire OR run completely new wires from the HU_NBT to the various components. With the warranty and such, I'm not keen on removing anything just yet.

Since this post has nearly 300 views, I'll assume as least some people are interested in this or have some similar situation so I'll keep this going if/when I move forward with the project
We still have a few US NBT units equipped with the Sirius XM tuner and HD Radio compatible available if you're still interested. Our pricing is very reasonable and you will not need any emulators or adapters as it will be plug and play and completely FSC enabled to your VIN.

Everything is flashed and coded on our bench so all you need to do is plug the new head unit and screen in.

PM for details.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 02-21-2017 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
mortlock7
Private
Rep

Quote:

Yes ProNav has 8.8" screen. It's only no-nav and business nav that have the 6.5"

I think unless you're really keen on having some of the extra features that NBT offers then I'd stick with the pronav. It's a lot of effort for not a lot of gain in my opinion, though I would understand if you were coming from something of lesser spec.
      02-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #9
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Yes ProNav has 8.8" screen. It's only no-nav and business nav that have the 6.5"

I think unless you're really keen on having some of the extra features that NBT offers then I'd stick with the pronav. It's a lot of effort for not a lot of gain in my opinion, though I would understand if you were coming from something of lesser spec.
We've done one CIC to NBT conversion and it's definitely a lot of work since that vehicle had HUD and backup camera from factory. Going from CIC to NBT is definitely not plug and play and will require a lot of additional work.

I'll have to agree that if the OP has pro nav, there's not much more to gain from but he will be able to play videos via USB, use Siri Eyes Free and have a much nicer looking map interface. He won't need a 8.8" display since his existing one will work.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #10
bwilly12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daysikia92 View Post
Your question helped me a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daysikia92 View Post
Your question helped me a lot.
No problem. I think a lot of people have this same issue and I'm glad this helped someone else.

Even with all the reading and all the information on this site, I was lost. I gave up my adventure of upgrading because of my warranty and it's a major modification going from CIC to NBT/EVO. It's also still a bit more than I'd like to spend at the moment.

I hope to do this one day in the future when the CPO runs out.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:08 AM   #11
projector
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Hello, just joined and this is my first post.

I'm planning to do a new NBT NAV on my '14 328i as well, here in Germany. I'm basically new to the coding scene.

Is there a glossary list of terms and a description of what they mean somewhere in this forum?
Appreciate 0