F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Low compression
GetBMWParts

11-21-2023, 09:39 AM   #1
rhenier99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Low compression

Hi there,

I've been having a drivetrain malfunction since I've owned this car, it's a 2013 BMW 328i and it's been a back and forth, today I did a misfire detection test in Ista+ which advised me to do a compression test, so I took all the steps but the tool broke, but not before the pressure stopped increasing and stopped at 110 psi for cyl 1, I could unfortunately not test the other cylinders, I paid very little for this tester so that could play a large role in why it broke.

I did test a few months back in May and did manage to get a reading on all 4 (same tool)

Cyl 1, 2,3 131 PSI
Cyl 4 125 PSI

That still seems low, but I am struggling to find something to affirm this (might be able to calculate it but admittedly I lack this knowledge)

So did cyl 1 lose 20 psi, or perhaps the tool was faulty? I did have an oil pump chain replacement after the initial test (this fault was gone for sometime before the oil pump chain replacement but was present during the time of the initial reading) But even then 130 psi still seems low, but the fact that I have a drivetrain malfunction with code 168002 Knock sensor 1 engine noise below limit value or line interruption with very low voltage from cyl 2, I'm not sure if this plays into it? I've been struggling with this issue for months now.

Does anyone have any tips as to what I can do next, and if those values are indeed low? The engine has about 121000 miles on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by rhenier99; 11-21-2023 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: formalities
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 03:40 PM   #2
samspiderman3125
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenier99 View Post
Hi there,

I've been having a drivetrain malfunction since I've owned this car, it's a 2013 BMW 328i and it's been a back and forth, today I did a misfire detection test in Ista+ which advised me to do a compression test, so I took all the steps but the tool broke, but not before the pressure stopped increasing and stopped at 110 psi for cyl 1, I could unfortunately not test the other cylinders, I paid very little for this tester so that could play a large role in why it broke.

I did test a few months back in May and did manage to get a reading on all 4 (same tool)

Cyl 1, 2,3 131 PSI
Cyl 4 125 PSI

That still seems low, but I am struggling to find something to affirm this (might be able to calculate it but admittedly I lack this knowledge)

So did cyl 1 lose 20 psi, or perhaps the tool was faulty? I did have an oil pump chain replacement after the initial test (this fault was gone for sometime before the oil pump chain replacement but was present during the time of the initial reading) But even then 130 psi still seems low, but the fact that I have a drivetrain malfunction with code 168002 Knock sensor 1 engine noise below limit value or line interruption with very low voltage from cyl 2, I'm not sure if this plays into it? I've been struggling with this issue for months now.

Does anyone have any tips as to what I can do next, and if those values are indeed low? The engine has about 121000 miles on it.
You could speculate all day if the tool was reading okay or not, but in reality youre freaking yourself out over a bad tool, ive been there too, just get a better quality tool and then see what you think of those measurements
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 04:56 PM   #3
rhenier99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samspiderman3125 View Post
You could speculate all day if the tool was reading okay or not, but in reality youre freaking yourself out over a bad tool, ive been there too, just get a better quality tool and then see what you think of those measurements
Fair, I've owned the car for 6 months and it's been at shops longer than it's been with me so starting to drive me a little crazy. Any idea what the measurements are supposed to be or how I can calculate what it's supposed to be?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 08:24 AM   #4
samspiderman3125
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenier99 View Post
Fair, I've owned the car for 6 months and it's been at shops longer than it's been with me so starting to drive me a little crazy. Any idea what the measurements are supposed to be or how I can calculate what it's supposed to be?
No clue off the top of my head, im a b58 guy, but im sure you can find it online
Appreciate 0