F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 Misfire help
Extreme Powerhouse

11-22-2023, 03:42 PM   #1
Abdul01
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320i xDrive

N20 Misfire help

A little background about the car: 2014 320i xDrive 135k kms, stock except a muffler delete and running BM3 Stage 1. Always used Shell 91 or 93 and oil changes every 5k with Liquimoly 5w40

So I was on the highway cruising around 120-140km/hr and out of nowhere I got a drivetrain malfunction light and car started shaking and bogging down. I quickly slowed down took an exit and came home. After scanning the car it turned out to be cylinder 1 misfire Code: P0301. To fix this so far I’ve replaced:

Fuel injector cylinder 1
All 4 coils with DINAN ignition coils
All 4 spark plugs with NGK 2-step colder plugs gapped to 0.022
Added fuel injector cleaner to the fuel tank
Cleaned MAF sensor and throttle body

My guess was ignition coils and sparks and that was apparent after opening the first coil as it was fully burnt out rest of the coils were all fine. And even the plugs had regular wear but I still replaced them.

The car is still misfiring and has the same code despite clearing it multiple times and changing the above parts.

Got a compression test done yesterday and all cylinders have the same compression 165psi so at this point I don’t even know what it could be.

The mechanic is saying that the car's computer keeps on kicking him out mid-diagnosis and is not letting him stay connected and his guess is DME or ECU. But he isn't sure and said to take it to the dealership, BMW dealers all across the Greater Toronto Area have no appointments until mid-December so just hoping someone here can be of help.

Thanks for reading
Appreciate 0