F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > broken right passenger mirror
ARMA SPEED

01-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i

Garage List
broken right passenger mirror

Hey guys so I was trying to install carbon fiber caps onto my passenger side mirrors. Unfortunately I cracked the glass and now I need a replacement mirror. I have heated mirrors and the motor is still working.

The OEM mirror is about $300 which I found on getbmwparts.

I'm wondering is there any alternatives I can use which almost looks the same?
I found something on amazon while searching for the part number and it only costs $18 just for the mirror. But I'm not sure if I can install just the mirror?
Attached Images

2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
colmeir2
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

I broke my mirror housing trying to install the carbon fiber mirror caps as well. The black portion on the back has a little nipple that sticks up near the inside bottom left of the frame, and it broke off. Now I have only one mirror that is covered and one that looks like a piece of shit. Wish I could find some info on how to repair this
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
zerreissen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 PB M240i

I also cracked the glass on one of the mirrors when I took my mirror caps off. I purchased these and have been very happy with them: https://bimmian.com/Accessories-for-...pgrade/?veh=30, especially at $100 for the pair.

It did take a little while to get used to the aspheric glass, but now I absolutely love the larger field of view.
Appreciate 1
WillSkill172.00
      01-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerreissen View Post
I also cracked the glass on one of the mirrors when I took my mirror caps off. I purchased these and have been very happy with them: https://bimmian.com/Accessories-for-...pgrade/?veh=30, especially at $100 for the pair.

It did take a little while to get used to the aspheric glass, but now I absolutely love the larger field of view.
I decided to just buy the OEM part again. $300 down the drain for my stupid mistake... well live and learn I guess.
2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 03:22 AM   #5
grancoupef36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: gran coupe 2016

fyi, for next time if you want to remove the mirror cap. just go behind it and pull on it, it'll come off. dont need to take off the mirror
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #6
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grancoupef36 View Post
fyi, for next time if you want to remove the mirror cap. just go behind it and pull on it, it'll come off. dont need to take off the mirror

In order to install the OEM mirror caps properly the mirror glass needs to come off. My question for those of you that broke it is, did you look at the instructions and/or DIY posts showing how to remove the glass?

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=708155
      01-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #7
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did try doing that but it was very difficult to remove and in the end I gave up. maybe I'm not pulling it in the right direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
In order to install the OEM mirror caps properly the mirror glass needs to come off. My question for those of you that broke it is, did you look at the instructions and/or DIY posts showing how to remove the glass?

I also read that post but couldn't manage to pop the cap off directly. So I tried to remove the glass first but cracked it...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
grancoupef36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: gran coupe 2016

Quote:

here you go

same concept works for f30, f32, hell any bmw

i've taken mine off 4 or 5 times
Appreciate 1
WillSkill172.00
      01-23-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

here you go

Thanks, I didn't have issue when I installed mine, I was just trying to help others.
      01-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
here you go

Thanks! I'll give it another shot
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #11
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

I just cracked my glass, this method worked for me, no broken tabs but make sure you use the proper technique, starting from inner lower corner and then pulling it outwards in a direction almost 90 degree to the car.
Appreciate 1
WillSkill172.00
      03-31-2019, 02:40 AM   #12
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
I just cracked my glass, this method worked for me, no broken tabs but make sure you use the proper technique, starting from inner lower corner and then pulling it outwards in a direction almost 90 degree to the car.
Yeah that mirror will cost a bit to replace. But glad you got it off correctly afterward
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2019, 10:47 AM   #13
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Will,

Did you find a replacement?

I have an aspherical right side that I haven't installed yet. If I pull my stocker and it's ok, are you interested?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 11:49 AM   #14
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
I don't think that's safe either, if you pull really hard from the back, you'll break the circular plastic clips, and your mirror might just fall off and crack when it hits the ground.

I did it the proper way, adjust the mirror to face most inward, cautiously pry off the mirror from all angles using plastic pry tool. It takes longer but it's way safer than using brute force, you should never use brute force on flimsy plastic parts on a car.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 01:38 PM   #15
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post
I don't think that's safe either, if you pull really hard from the back, you'll break the circular plastic clips, and your mirror might just fall off and crack when it hits the ground.
You mean if there's pressure on the whole unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Will,

I have an aspherical right side that I haven't installed yet. If I pull my stocker and it's ok, are you interested?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSkill View Post
Yeah that mirror will cost a bit to replace. But glad you got it off correctly afterward
Now I need to replace the cracked glass, mine goes for around $100, most likely it's not auto dimming. How did you do it? I don't want to break any tabs as they seem pretty solid, the dealer might charge an hour of labor for 2 minutes of work.
Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 02:36 PM   #16
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post
You mean if there's pressure on the whole unit?

Quote:
Will,

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSkill View Post
Now I need to replace the cracked glass, mine goes for around $100, most likely it's not auto dimming. How did you do it? I don't want to break any tabs as they seem pretty solid, the dealer might charge an hour of labor for 2 minutes of work.
Any suggestions?
I replaced it by myself and my mirror is auto dimming so it went for about $300.

It's been a while so I don't remember the details of what I did. I believe I pulled off the plastic cap first then just replaced the mirror. There should be some reference vids on YouTube. I remember it being pretty simple. A lot easier than taking the mirror caps off lol
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 05:12 PM   #17
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

The key to mirror removal as to not break, imo, is to use a trim tool with the largest (longest) area available as to spread the pressure out as much as possible.

Use a 1” or less trim tool, you are asking for trouble.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 07:11 PM   #18
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
The key to mirror removal as to not break, imo, is to use a trim tool with the largest (longest) area available as to spread the pressure out as much as possible.

Use a 1” or less trim tool, you are asking for trouble.
I meant to say trim tool when I said plastic pry tool in my post above. These cost next to nothing, I even got a couple free ones from ordering carbon fiber trims. Very handy indeed.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 03:58 AM   #19
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

There are plenty of used mirrors on ebay.

I would pry from the inner side of the mirror or around the middle using something with a broader edge. The outer side has flex on the plastic backing so you can easily crack the glass.

Also I would slide a piece of paper or mask off between the glass edge and plastic mirror housing as when you pry the glass edge can scratch and leave marks on the the plastic especially if it's the gloss black plastic.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:12 AM   #20
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
In order to install the OEM mirror caps properly the mirror glass needs to come off.
It does not. Why so many sources say that it does I can't say, perhaps monkey see monkey do, but using a pair of plastic trim removal wedges the cap is easily removed. You need to use two wedges, one to the outside of the cap and one to the inside. The guy in the above video is using only one wedge, that's the reason why he struggles with it.
The OP, and any other's who've broken the glass, can replace just the glass.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #21
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

I just found out mine is auto-dimming too, so wont just be $100
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 12:08 PM   #22
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Will,

I'd be interested in your stock assuming it's the same part number as for the m235i. Shoot me a pm if you are willing to sell.
Appreciate 0