F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Catless or Catted Downpipes
GetBMWParts

09-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
bariaga1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 335I F30, Sapphire Black

Catless or Catted Downpipes

For all my CA residents, what are your thoughts?

I guess the biggest thing I am worried about is worrying if the police will look under the car and hit me with that 2 k fine.

Seems that everyone does have catless, am I worrying too much about it? lol

Want to hear your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bariaga1 View Post
For all my CA residents, what are your thoughts?

I guess the biggest thing I am worried about is worrying if the police will look under the car and hit me with that 2 k fine.

Seems that everyone does have catless, am I worrying too much about it? lol

Want to hear your thoughts!
Honestly, it's pretty hard to tell what kind of pipe is on there--even though there is a smell, a cop would have to be trained in down pipe searching. Maybe if you were bragging to them about your cool illegal mods then they might take issue.
      09-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
F30Allen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 Estoril Blue M-Sport

You can go either or, either way its illegal. In cali local cops wont really bother or check. They'd just hit you with a modified exhaust ticket if its loud. Only time they'd actually check are specialized units like in San Diego that know what mods to look for or CHP. What gets their attention is either loud exhaust or if your car looks like a race car for them to start fishing. You'd probably get pulled over many times in a civic over a BMW. I'm currently running a ER Catted downpipe because I got it for a steal. Catted or not it will throw a CEL so like I said it doesn't really matter which way you go, just don't have your exhaust wake up the neighborhood or do anything stupid and you'll be fine. As for smog thats a different story. You can easily get around it. Good luck I say get whatever has a good price.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #4
Project Elite
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30

Most modded cars are catless.... only if you were caught by the CHP for something else, they might state ref you if your car looks too modded
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:57 AM   #5
bariaga1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Honestly, it's pretty hard to tell what kind of pipe is on there--even though there is a smell, a cop would have to be trained in down pipe searching. Maybe if you were bragging to them about your cool illegal mods then they might take issue.

I imagine so, unrealistic to think someone can look under and just tell off the bat.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 01:10 AM   #6
bariaga1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Elite View Post
Most modded cars are catless.... only if you were caught by the CHP for something else, they might state ref you if your car looks too modded
lol yeah, some people make their cars obvious...I will go the lowkey route (sticking to OEM look)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Allen View Post
You can go either or, either way its illegal. In cali local cops wont really bother or check. They'd just hit you with a modified exhaust ticket if its loud. Only time they'd actually check are specialized units like in San Diego that know what mods to look for or CHP. What gets their attention is either loud exhaust or if your car looks like a race car for them to start fishing. You'd probably get pulled over many times in a civic over a BMW. I'm currently running a ER Catted downpipe because I got it for a steal. Catted or not it will throw a CEL so like I said it doesn't really matter which way you go, just don't have your exhaust wake up the neighborhood or do anything stupid and you'll be fine. As for smog thats a different story. You can easily get around it. Good luck I say get whatever has a good price.
yeah, i think most people just "know a guy" that can get them around that. If you have JB4...you can delete right. But is the CEL delete for some DP's worth it? All its doing is what the JB4 delete codes feature right. Might sound dumb lol...but its ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #7
F30Allen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
lol yeah, some people make their cars obvious...I will go the lowkey route (sticking to OEM look)

yeah, i think most people just "know a guy" that can get them around that. If you have JB4...you can delete right. But is the CEL delete for some DP's worth it? All its doing is what the JB4 delete codes feature right. Might sound dumb lol...but its ok.
Jb4 will hide those codes or you can delete them. You wont see the check engine light in your cluster jb4 will hide it I think. But either way JB4 allows you to get more performance out of your DP. Just do it! I'm pretty sure the majority of the F30 owners here have catted or catless Dps. Don't be scared, just don't do stupid things to win stupid prizes and you'll be good.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #8
bariaga1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty415 View Post
I have a ER catless downpipe. Last weekend I a cop pulled me over for front window tints (15% dark). As he approached my car from behind he didn't even say anything about the smell or bothered to check anything else. The smell was definitely there though but my car does have stock exhaust so visually it didn't look modified.
lol knock on wood (20 %), thats good to know as I have stock exhausts. Glad you got away

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Allen View Post
Jb4 will hide those codes or you can delete them. You wont see the check engine light in your cluster jb4 will hide it I think. But either way JB4 allows you to get more performance out of your DP. Just do it! I'm pretty sure the majority of the F30 owners here have catted or catless Dps. Don't be scared, just don't do stupid things to win stupid prizes and you'll be good.
meh, you're right...will be getting them on soon as well as a new charge pipe (BTW what brand do you have? Does it even matter much?)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 01:28 AM   #9
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Run catless, Unless you're a cat person and then leave it Stock
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
F30Allen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
lol knock on wood (20 %), thats good to know as I have stock exhausts. Glad you got away

meh, you're right...will be getting them on soon as well as a new charge pipe (BTW what brand do you have? Does it even matter much?)
Brand wise I'm ER Catted down pipe, ER Intercooler and buying ER Charge pipe and charge pipe TIC. You can go with any of the big brands that most go with. A lot of the parts like downpipe all do the same things so I don't think it would matter for downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #11
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Does any one know if BootMod3 with hide the CEL for aftermarket DP like the JB4 does? Also, when it comes time for SMOG check do you guys swap out the DP with stock or just leave it on there and let the LB4 hide the CEL?

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Does any one know if BootMod3 with hide the CEL for aftermarket DP like the JB4 does? Also, when it comes time for SMOG check do you guys swap out the DP with stock or just leave it on there and let the LB4 hide the CEL?
I don't have a test for two more years and I assume you have 3 to go--I will swap the stock one back on.
      04-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I don't have a test for two more years and I assume you have 3 to go--I will swap the stock one back on.
I thought the state required SMOG every year. Is it only newer cars that can wait for 3 yrs between SMOG checks?

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 11:10 PM   #14
Project Elite
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
I thought the state required SMOG every year. Is it only newer cars that can wait for 3 yrs between SMOG checks?
CA requires smog every 2 years, unless your car is less than 6 years old iirc. Your first smog should be your 6th year.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #15
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

awesome!! thanks!

SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 04:36 AM   #16
bariaga1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Elite View Post
CA requires smog every 2 years, unless your car is less than 6 years old iirc. Your first smog should be your 6th year.
ah this is only if you are the original owner if I am not mistaken, correct?

For example, since I bought my car used/preowned...I would have to do smog yearly/2 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #17
Project Elite
Captain
Rep

Quote:
ah this is only if you are the original owner if I am not mistaken, correct?

For example, since I bought my car used/preowned...I would have to do smog yearly/2 years.
Pulled this from DMV:
If the vehicle is over 4 years old, it is the seller's responsibility to provide proof of a current smog certification unless the a smog certification was submitted within the past 90 days.

In other words, the car wouldn't need to be smogged to have it sold to you if it was less than 4 y/o. After that, it would be every 2 years again. Never have I heard of yearly smogs but I may be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #18
bimmerillini95
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i f30

U guys know any shops that will install the dp? LA area
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #19
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black 330i xDrive

Garage List
I don't live in California but like some members mentioned above, it's extremely rare for a cop to look under the car. They might have a mirror stick to look but still there is no easy way for them to tell and if they did hit you with a ticket, it would most likely be for noise and a fix it ticket so you could probably slap a muffler on it, get it checked, then remove the muffler. I've had lifted 4x4 trucks with full straight pipes and was obnoxiously loud and the cop couldn't get me on it because it's so hard to prove so he gave me a fix it for my tinted tail light which I took to court and fought and won. Unless a cop is an ex mechanic or has a hobby on the side he won't be able to tell and even if he can, it's very hard for him to prove in a court of law. You're only worry is passing the emissions tests.