F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Do you need to be a current subscriber of BMW Assist to use the My BMW Remote?
proTUNING Freaks

12-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Do you need to be a current subscriber of BMW Assist to use the My BMW Remote?

My dealer never mentioned signing up for BMW Assist... Not sure I understand the connection between Assist and the Remote.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

I believe yes, since you need a BMW Assist login to use the remote app. BMW Assist can only be used if you have the option in your car added (part of the tech pack)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
I believe yes, since you need a BMW Assist login to use the remote app. BMW Assist can only be used if you have the option in your car added (part of the tech pack)
OK, I've got the tech package and BMW Assist guides me through the My BMW App set up process. It asks for a Username and Password. Any idea where those gems would come from??
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
hockeyno93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Xdrive Sportline

There are two types of BMW Assist:

1.) Safety only (Free if you have BMW assist assess in your car - part of Tech package) - this will call BMW Assist if you get in an accident

2.) $200 a year option - this one allows you to do more stuff like use the BMW remote, and provide you with the user name and password you need.

I think you need to purchase the $200/yr thing to use the Remote you are talking about. Someone correct if me I'm wrong.
      12-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

I would hope that for the price of the tech package it'd come with at least the first year's subscription of BMW Assist... anyone can confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep

The Safety Plan is included in the purchase price of the vehicle for 4 years; it's $200 per year after that.

FWIW, I called BMW and there's an activation procedure you need to go through to establish Assist using the SOS connection, get a username and password, and activate the My BMW App.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Good to know, I'll be taking delivery in a week or so. Probably get my dealer to get that all set up before I drive out with the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

You've just reminded me that I forgot my user name/pw. Last time I used it was to set it up the day after I drove it home. The remote thingy seems sorta useful too.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
hockeyno93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
You've just reminded me that I forgot my user name/pw. Last time I used it was to set it up the day after I drove it home. The remote thingy seems sorta useful too.
I like the idea of being able to push "precondition" from the remote and walk out to the car a few minutes later. That'll be nice in the summer before leaving work. Or "Did I lock the doors or not?" problem is solved.

Useful indeed.
      12-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyno93 View Post
I like the idea of being able to push "precondition" from the remote and walk out to the car a few minutes later. That'll be nice in the summer before leaving work. Or "Did I lock the doors or not?" problem is solved.

Useful indeed.
I don't have the precondition option in BMW remote for my MY2012 F30. I don't think it's available in the US.

Does anyone have this enabled on their F30 in the US? It may be available on the Active Hybrid 3, but I don't know for sure.

I did see the pre-condition option using the remote app in "demo" mode, when once you connect it to your car, the option goes away.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
There are two types of BMW Assist:

1.) Safety only (Free if you have BMW assist assess in your car - part of Tech package) - this will call BMW Assist if you get in an accident

2.) $200 a year option - this one allows you to do more stuff like use the BMW remote, and provide you with the user name and password you need.

I think you need to purchase the $200/yr thing to use the Remote you are talking about. Someone correct if me I'm wrong.
The first package (safety only), 4 years included, allows you to use the BMW Remote App. This allows you to send google maps locations to the navi, locate car using the app, lock/unlock doors, remote horn, and flash headlights. The response time is not amazing (could take a few minutes), the most useful piece is sending addresses to the navi.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
jgentry
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive Sedan

My CA didn't set this up beforehand. All you need to do is hit the SOS button after you've picked up your new bimmer. They will go through the setup process with you including setting a password, all through your car's speaker system.
      12-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
hockeyno93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
I don't have the precondition option in BMW remote for my MY2012 F30. I don't think it's available in the US.

Does anyone have this enabled on their F30 in the US? It may be available on the Active Hybrid 3, but I don't know for sure.

I did see the pre-condition option using the remote app in "demo" mode, when once you connect it to your car, the option goes away.
I'm sure you are right, Frogman. I was basing my assumptions on the "demo" mode. I take possession on Wednesday, so you would have a better idea than I do. Kind of a bummer we can't get precondition option in the states....would be nice.
      12-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
hockeyno93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezz View Post
The first package (safety only), 4 years included, allows you to use the BMW Remote App. This allows you to send google maps locations to the navi, locate car using the app, lock/unlock doors, remote horn, and flash headlights. The response time is not amazing (could take a few minutes), the most useful piece is sending addresses to the navi.
I'm looking forward to this as well. I think it will make me use the Navi more often. Although my CA showed me that just saying the address through the verbal commands works well too.

My friend has an Acura TL and he has to type in the address into his Navi....just watching the process stresses me out. Anytime he saves by "avoiding traffic hazards" is wasted in the amount of time it takes to plug the damn address into the system.
      12-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
I'm looking forward to this as well. I think it will make me use the Navi more often. Although my CA showed me that just saying the address through the verbal commands works well too.

My friend has an Acura TL and he has to type in the address into his Navi....just watching the process stresses me out. Anytime he saves by "avoiding traffic hazards" is wasted in the amount of time it takes to plug the damn address into the system.
When I know where I'm going ahead of time, I send the addresses to the car via the remote app or Google Maps directly.

I've also talked the address into the nav in the car. It works fairly well, you just have to speak clearly, make no mistakes, and hope it's not an odd street name that messes up the voice recognition system.
Appreciate 0