F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > MY13 F30/F31 iDrive Navigation Pro - Voice Conmmand
GetBMWParts

08-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport EB II

MY13 F30/F31 iDrive Navigation Pro - Voice Conmmand

Can someone advise whether we can dictate the navigation address in one go using voice command? I have updated the NBT and bluetooth modules to the latest version for my car already.

My Navigation Professional won't accept full address in one go (NBT Australia). It's frustrating for entering suburb/postcode first instead of street address.

In the iDrive Voice control setup, what is the difference between Standard and Short commands?

I can find short commands in this forum and owner's manual but not much to describe 'Standard'...

Need your input folks.

Ordered Due August 2017: 2017 Audi A4 AVANT 2.0 TFSI Quattro MY17 S-Line, Exclusive Nogaro Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Watching this too...
      08-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
35mmSummicron
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30

From what I've tried, you cannot voice command full addresses, but you can dictate letter by letter input, which is a slow and clunky process.

What I find more convenient is using the My BMW Remote App on iPhone, google searching the address, and sending it to the iDrive Nav.

The difference between 'Standard' and 'Short' commands is you can speak in normal conversation phrases IE: "play Track 3 on CD player" vs. short word commands IE: "Navigation".

hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT_F31_EBII View Post
Can someone advise whether we can dictate the navigation address in one go using voice command? I have updated the NBT and bluetooth modules to the latest version for my car already.

My Navigation Professional won't accept full address in one go (NBT Australia). It's frustrating for entering suburb/postcode first instead of street address.

In the iDrive Voice control setup, what is the difference between Standard and Short commands?

I can find short commands in this forum and owner's manual but not much to describe 'Standard'...

Need your input folks.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
JimCash
Always a Mystery to Solve
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 328ixM & E39 540iA

What does it say in your "navigation" owners manual - the paragraph titled "Saying the entries"?

I ask because I have the 2014 version and I can input the whole address in one phrase (ie - 442 Centre Street Newtown, Ontario). It usually works.
My manual states you can do it various ways - but does say that the "town/city street and house number can be entered as a single command"

But since there were major system changes between 2013 and 14 yours might be different - so if you manual does not mention the use of "single command" then it may not be available.

There is also the notation that input options can depend on settings (navigation, country, language, etc).

AND - I am having difficulty trying to determine whether all your voice inputs are interpreted directly by the software in the car, or whether they go directly to the "cloud" translation service (Nuance in North America) before being returned as an action command. I know that it goes to Nuance for "message dictation" but I am not sure for all the regular commands. It may even depend on which navigation and communication system you have.

Cheers
Jim Cash
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport EB II

in australia, Connected Drive online features finally rolled out for MY14 onward systems. i missed out on that so no BMW remote app functions for my F31.

on my NBT MY13 F31 voice command help, it actually said you can dictate in one single command, but not really working if i tried. The system understands my input only prompted for place, street, house number individually, pain in the bottom.

Wish i waited for 1 more month in production (my car was manufactured in mid JUNE! end of MY13...)

Thanks for your input too

Ordered Due August 2017: 2017 Audi A4 AVANT 2.0 TFSI Quattro MY17 S-Line, Exclusive Nogaro Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
pej7445
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Garage List
2019 x3 m40i  [0.00]
I have a 2013 328i w/ Professional Navigation (CIC).

Is there anyway to execute a voice command to search for a point of interest? For example, in my previous Acura I could voice command "Find coffee" and it would search for any POI that was coffee related sorting the results by distance (closest to farthest).

How can I "find coffee shop" in my BMW without using the iDrive interface dial?
Appreciate 0