F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Running on flat tires
GetBMWParts

04-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 - 335I

Running on flat tires

Before turning this thread into another thread flat tires VS non flat tires, does any one have a concern on what happens when you are on a long road trip or driving in a middle of the night of no where and you have a flat tire? granted that your flat tires allow you to drive up 50 miles (at 50mph max) , but what's gonna happen after that if you can't find a repair shop near by or BMW Assist cant get to you ? I'm kinda concern about this issue when driving on a road trip at night, especially when my f30 or most of BMW cars don't come with a spare tire !
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

I've driven many times with a flat tire on the previous generation runflats. Those things can basically go forever. I drove on the freeway at 70 mph for an hour cuz I thought it was a false signal, turns out they can go for quite awhile and you won't notice they're flat.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
I've driven many times with a flat tire on the previous generation runflats. Those things can basically go forever. I drove on the freeway at 70 mph for an hour cuz I thought it was a false signal, turns out they can go for quite awhile and you won't notice they're flat.
Same here and not any problem at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Rolux Magnum
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Moonstone

Garage List
2013 328i  [9.00]
2003 FZS 600  [10.00]
2005 R1200RT  [0.00]
2009 RX350  [0.00]
I have had this issue before, and I agree you can drive some way before you have a real problem.
However I now carry a tyre guage, micro-compressor (used on motorcycles), a tyre repair kit, and a can of sealant in the car all the time.
If I get the signal that there is a flat, I pull into the nearest gas station, determine which tire is losing pressure. Most times it's from a nail or screw, if it's a slow leak I will top the tyre off till I get home. And then repair at home. But if its big I will attempt a repair on the spot.
Best case - repair effective - and I save the cost of a run flat tyre.
Worst case I have to drive home on a flat - and get another tyre the following day.

To date I have found and repaired 3 tires on both our cars and 2 tyres on my motorcycles - and I have always been able to fix them. But I am sure that one day I will run into something that not fixable.

Funny thing is all of these nails/screws are only since I moved to Melbourne, in the UK (5 years ) I never had a puncture on any of our vehicles
      04-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
I had an issue where I basically popped one of my runflats. Don't know how it happened but it did. Just keep in mind that not everyone is going have these runflat tires in stock. I have Goodyears and it took almost 5 days to get one. Can't commute to work on a flat tire for 5 days. The tire place I used is a nationwide brand and they had trouble getting the tire for me. This is the only thing I worry about now.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolux Magnum
I have had this issue before, and I agree you can drive some way before you have a real problem.
However I now carry a tyre guage, micro-compressor (used on motorcycles), a tyre repair kit, and a can of sealant in the car all the time.
If I get the signal that there is a flat, I pull into the nearest gas station, determine which tire is losing pressure. Most times it's from a nail or screw, if it's a slow leak I will top the tyre off till I get home. And then repair at home. But if its big I will attempt a repair on the spot.
Best case - repair effective - and I save the cost of a run flat tyre.
Worst case I have to drive home on a flat - and get another tyre the following day.

To date I have found and repaired 3 tires on both our cars and 2 tyres on my motorcycles - and I have always been able to fix them. But I am sure that one day I will run into something that not fixable.

Funny thing is all of these nails/screws are only since I moved to Melbourne, in the UK (5 years ) I never had a puncture on any of our vehicles
can you share with us where did you get your repair kit and sealant from ?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

happened to me once, the tyre shreaded on the highway (after intense vibrations), called RACQ.

are you guys planning runflats again once the OEMs wear off?
      04-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser
happened to me once, the tyre shreaded on the highway (after intense vibrations), called RACQ.

are you guys planning runflats again once the OEMs wear off?
ideally I want a smoother ride and run on non flat, but I'm worried about getting a flat tire and not having a spare
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:57 AM   #9
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

I've been mulling over the switch to normal tyres for 2 weeks (only had the car for 4 weeks). The noise of the run flats were driving me nuts.

I pulled the trigger and yesterday received my dual cylinder tyre compressor. Today I switched to normal Cinturato Pirelli P7's and my ears feel such a HUGE sense of relief ! Totally different car.

Unfortunately I can now tell that the "other" source of the road noise is poor sound insulation Don't know how I'm going to fix that one other than ripping off the doors & stuffing some sound deadening material in there myself !!!

I've only driven a short distance but don't notice any obvious handling differences yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

ok, i've driven a little more on the standard tyres and... surprise... they aren't that much quieter than the run flats!!!

On quiet road surfaces there is a difference, but on coarse road, it's like the harshness in noise is rounded off, but the volume is still there.

I honestly don't know what to do about the noise now. It's telling me that it's not the tyres, but the suspension letting all the noise through on coarse road surfaces :-(

The tech said that he checked the suspension & all seemed well. However, I know something is wrong - either by fault or by design.
Appreciate 0