F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Karate for children
Extreme Powerhouse

11-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Karate for children

My 6 year old son just completed his first session in which he recieved his first colored belt. Yellow lines not a completely yellow belt. He was really enjoying it and looked forward to going to classes. The next session is not until the spring but now he says he does not want to go. I don't want to force him to go. I really feel he is benefitting from the classes. He's not really into other sports and my wife and I were thrilled when he showed interest in this. Any suggestions on getting him to continue this?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

He may change his mind by spring. I would not bring it up the subject much between now and then. Six is still kinda young. As you state, if he doesn't want to do it, you should not push. If he chooses not to go in Spring, he may change his mind when he is 8 or 10 and sees what school can be like.
      11-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
My 6 year old son just completed his first session in which he recieved his first colored belt. Yellow lines not a completely yellow belt. He was really enjoying it and looked forward to going to classes. The next session is not until the spring but now he says he does not want to go. I don't want to force him to go. I really feel he is benefitting from the classes. He's not really into other sports and my wife and I were thrilled when he showed interest in this. Any suggestions on getting him to continue this?
He will change his mind at 7 or 8, but you could talk to him about not quiting, don't talk to him in away that would make him feel you are forcing him but just say something like hey your doing great don't quit it will get easier and more fun as you go along trust me son, something like that:thumbsup
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

maybe find a friend for him in the class? that might drive him to force you to take him, makesure he a good kid though lol
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

Create a situation where he has to defend himself or someone else using karate.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Market the Spring session to him. Get cheap t-shirts made for daddy and son that re-enforce the class. Wear them together and get others to remark about how cool that is!!

He'll get excited if someone he admires and respects seems to be as excited as he is.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

My son is now 12. Since the age of 5 he has tried: karate, soccer, lacrosse, football, basketball, tennis, golf, swimming, a lawn mowing "business", snow shoveling business and he volunteers here and there. Some of this stuff he did for a few months, and other things - such as basketball - he's done for six years. A few years ago I finally took the advice of some more experienced dads...just chill out. They'll eventually find what they like.

As long as the kids are active in something (IMHO), you're in good shape. Odds are good that most of our kids will not be getting a D-1 scholarship, or go to the Olympics, so don't lose too much sleep over what activity they're in, or how well they do at it.

Two things my wife and I do with our two kids (boy: 12; girl: 14)...

1) They MUST be involved in something at least 9 months out of the year. We chill out in the summer to have flexibility to boat frequently and take a few road trips. But the rest of the year they need to participate in some kind of group "thing." Our daughter has never been into sports, so she did dance, piano and acting. Now that she's a freshman she's in four clubs, including student council and debate. So we tell our son that we don't care what he does either, but it needs to be something for 9 months.

2) We use subtle persuasion to "nudge" them in certain directions. E.g. my son is too tall and skinny - and a bit too laid back - to continue playing tackle football any longer. So when he was somewhat on the fence about it this last summer, we just talked about basketball more, asked his friends about their basketball plans, watched a few more games on ESPN, etc. Before you know it, he signs up for a 3-on-3 basketball league instead of caring about football. Perfect! It's gotta be easier persuading a 6 year old...right?!

They grow up fast, really fast, so just enjoy the ride and think about how you want your son treating his son some day. That thought process usually guides you to the right decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

I started martial arts at the age of 7. There were times when I did not want to go as well. Take him to a local performance or competition if possible to show him the opportunities if he sticks to it. I was lucky enough to have a national class demonstration team at my dojo, and it performed at each belt promotion to keep the kids motivated. I eventually joined the team once I got my black belt.

Although I don't attend a dojo anymore, I still train occasionally as a part of my lifestyle. He is definitely benefitting from it, but like you said, you can't force him to do it if he's not into it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #9
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

No suggestions, but wanted to share... My daughter started karate at 8, after many different sports/activities. She liked it, but did not like the break after the first sessions ended. We found a different dojo, and she continued there... for the next 10 years. She is was eligible for her third degree black belt test, and taught at the dojo for almost three years. She gave it up when she graduated high school and went to college.

One of the biggest unexpected benefits were the ability to focus in school, and treating herself more healthy, to this day. I attribute the national honor society and dean's list partially to what she was taught at the dojo.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #10
daveycrocket
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 28i MSport Cbn Blk/Oys

My daughter has been performing Tae Kwon Do since she was 3 and is now 7. There was a period of time when she didn't want to go.

This sport has so many benefits that I really wished my daughter to continue. However i didn't want to force something she really didn't like. I decided to continue to each class even if we just sat and watched. We watched for two months and just as I was ready to pull her out she began joining the class activity slowly.

I have a very confident and secure daughter that is very polite, respectful and has a lot of interests. We see her thriving in school academics and sports of all types and know that Tae Kwon Do plays a large part of that and plan to continue.

Take your time and see where it goes. If martial arts truly isn't working out you'll know soon enough
      01-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
karatekid
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320i SE Business Touring

Karate for kids

My daughter started to learn karate at age 6, too. It wasn't long before we noticed improvements in her concentration and learning at school and in her self-confidence, not to mention in her fitness. This inspired me to find out more about it for myself and, six years later I am still training.

Although my daughter, now aged 12, is taking a break from karate to develop other interests, including hockey, the years we spent training together gave us a shared interest and it would be worth considering taking an interest yourself and maybe training with your child - I certainly haven't looked back.

There's a great book published here in the UK called Karate for Children - written by Shihan John van Weenen and this has certainly encouraged a number of children that I know to train regularly.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
voidopolis
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

clear the living room, get some cookies and soda and do a weekend of nonstop old Karate movies - that should do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidopolis View Post
clear the living room, get some cookies and soda and do a weekend of nonstop old Karate movies - that should do it.
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

thanks guys for all the comments. Haven't checked this thread in a while.
Appreciate 0