F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Roundel Letter Writer Trashes BMW Apps
GetBMWParts

05-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #23
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howowcanigo View Post

Unfortunately I'm a Belgian so I'm enjoying the same weather...

Howow
You'd think living in the South would make the weather a bit better for you guys there haha.. nah, I know it's mostly the same, just a few degrees warmer IF there is any summer at all =)

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #24
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by XENONX View Post
I think it's not worth getting, the real cool thing is the office but they dont have it with a lot of phones, most advanced android and of course the iPhone don't have it, u have to have an effed up blackberry (and still not all of them) to have that. I regret paying the 250 for that, I'd get the rear seat folding option instead lol.
Note that if you have a supported Android phone (like my aging Samsung Captivate), there is a way to get the SMS part of the Office functionality working with iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #25
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
lol I was driving a longer bit today and I was playing a lot with the webradio today and, well, I can say I'm really happy I spend the 250 bucks for this.. Not ever before did I have so many radio stations available in my car, and especially never the stuff I wanted to hear. Now I have lots of choices The more I play with it, the more I think it is well worth the 250 dollar =)

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #26
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
lol I was driving a longer bit today and I was playing a lot with the webradio today and, well, I can say I'm really happy I spend the 250 bucks for this.. Not ever before did I have so many radio stations available in my car, and especially never the stuff I wanted to hear. Now I have lots of choices The more I play with it, the more I think it is well worth the 250 dollar =)
Yeah, but that stuff is available otherwise if you have a smartphone and could be bluetooth streamed to the stereo.
2012 328i Sedan Alpine White Dakota Grey/Brushed Aluminum/Black High Gloss Premium Premium Sound Technology STEPTRONIC Heated Fronts BMW Apps BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Park Distance Control Rear View Camera Xenons
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #27
cgpublic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro

Enjoy Your SAT Subscription!

I also read the letter from the disgruntled 6 Series owner in Roundel, and while I can't argue that the overall experience of using BMW Apps could be better, that same argument can be made for any emerging technology.

The simple truth of the matter is that BMW does not own every piece of the puzzle, and the type of multi-tasking described in his letter, say switching from BMW Apps to Pandora using the controller or potentially by voice, is really a limitation of iOS 5.

What may seem natural, i.e., how a computer handles multi-tasking, would quickly run down a smartphone battery when it is not being charged in a cradle, which is most of the time for a handheld device.

Furthermore, I can accept the fact that there are many people who believe if they can drop 80K large on a car, it also frees them of the responsibility of understanding the benefits and limitations of their purchase. So, it fact, it becomes the responsibility of Apple, BMW and the dealer.

So, that leaves us with said asshat whining about spending an additional $500 of his 80K purchase for the BMW Apps and associated cradle to do the following:

Use the iOS interface for music and video.
Listen to hundreds of free Web radio stations.
Read/post Facebook/Twitter.
Read RSS feed.
Read iOS calendar (also Google/Outlook).
Search using Wiki w/location services.
Access your fuel level/range/mileage and where you are parked remotely and away from your car.

Plus, access Pandora and MOG, both providing more music options than any reasonable person could possibly listen to during a month-long, cross-country drive.

And whatever new features or apps that may come over the course of your car ownership.

And not forgetting that the cradle improves the cell strength and charges your phone.

I've used it for year and it has worked flawlessly every time. You launch BMW Apps before or after you place it in the cradle, and that's it. Or you launch Pandora or MOG. Pull over and change it if you like. That's your problem, not mine.

The real issue for our OCD suffering friend is that he can't make up his mind regarding what he is supposed to be doing behind the wheel.

Try driving your car. Or ignoring the issue all together and listen to SAT, which is only $350 to install.

Without a monthly subscription.

Good luck clown!

Past: 2008 E90 328xi | Montego Blue | Dakota Black | Brushed Aluminum
Packages & Options: Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Heated Seats | iPod
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #28
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

+1
      05-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #29
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
Yeah, but that stuff is available otherwise if you have a smartphone and could be bluetooth streamed to the stereo.
Yes and no.. there are actually quite a few stations that I would otherwise not be able to stream as I cannot get those streams to work. Plus the interface is much more convenient this way

Appreciate 0