F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How many peopled ordered Dakota leather becuse they actually wanted it?
Studio RSR

06-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #45
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Op, seems like you are most upset your friend could not tell you spent $2k and thought his vinyl seats were same as you.

Maybe you should make a custom plate with your car msrp or drive around with window sticker?

J/k
you're right actually...yes....i am pissed about that....im pissed that its an option on a "luxury car"....im pissed that they offer imitation leather....im pissed that this useless option is bundled with a useful option.
      06-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #46
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Mine also has Dakota that comes with the premium package. The senatic does not breathe that well in hot CA days so the leather is picked to avoid sweaty pants. The moonroof also helps a lot around here to dissipate cabin heat. For those that want/need leather and moonroof(on pre-LCI) the ZPP is not a bad deal.
I'm glad I never have to deal with that problem since I have a convertible and I usually drive with the top down in hot weather.

I should try driving with the top up on a hot sunny and and see how bad it gets with the sensatec leather.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #47
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Keep in mind, the Dakota leather is more than $1500. You have to add in the cost of the stock material.

Next, the main thing Dakota offers is its fire retardant treatment.

You don't want an errant seat heater to burn the car.

This has happened.
If this was a true safety issue, and not a defect, you wouldn't be able to get heated seats with Sensatec, and there would be a published recall.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #48
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
you're right actually...yes....i am pissed about that....im pissed that its an option on a "luxury car"....im pissed that they offer imitation leather....im pissed that this useless option is bundled with a useful option.
One thing you could do next time is instead of paying $52k for a 328 if you want the status of letting others know you paid more, you could get a 335 or 528 instead. Or the best play is get a used base 911.

That way you can look down on your friend's BMW and say "pffft I drive a 911"

btw, to help you feel better, on my m3 skipped out on the backup camera because it came in a $4k option package. Oh, I also custom ordered it with cloth seats. Guess I missed the memo the "luxury" cars need to have leather
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #49
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Keep in mind, the Dakota leather is more than $1500. You have to add in the cost of the stock material.

Next, the main thing Dakota offers is its fire retardant treatment.

You don't want an errant seat heater to burn the car.

This has happened.
If this was a true safety issue, and not a defect, you wouldn't be able to get heated seats with Sensatec, and there would be a published recall.
Correct. That's what I was thinking.

If I have this wrong then I apologize for my error.

I will try to find the link on this. Several years ago there were a small number of seat fires related to heating and one of the fixes was a flame retardant applied to the leather, Aside from fixing the seat heater.

Sensatec may already have this property.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #50
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Mine also has Dakota that comes with the premium package. The senatic does not breathe that well in hot CA days so the leather is picked to avoid sweaty pants. The moonroof also helps a lot around here to dissipate cabin heat. For those that want/need leather and moonroof(on pre-LCI) the ZPP is not a bad deal.
Coated leather doesn't breathe very well either however.

I've had the sensatec in an E46 and had leather in my 135i and 335i Msport.
It's not a high quality leather. In both cars with leather the drivers left side bolster and thigh show signs of wear. It's not cracked, but I'll be in another 3 years, if that long, there would be enough wear to potentially break through.
If not broken through by then it will still look pretty worn.
The E46 sensatec showed zero signs of wear after 3 years.

I didn't feel any difference in "breathing" capability.
I drove the new Mustang with both heated and cooled seats and Ford has BMW BEAT in the seating area. I do think the BMW driving position is better for my needs, but the sport seats in the new Mustang are very nice.
3 series leather is not up to par for the cost. I understand people want leather in their BMW, but let's not kid ourselves that the leather is as high quality as what BMW puts under the skin.

These wear areas on the sport leather seats is not new. By now one would think that BMW would have addressed this by reinforcing those areas perhaps a higher grade leather in the bolster areas and softer in the seating areas. If they offered a partial leather sport seat with sensatec in the bolsters and leather seating with perforated leather I would be all over that.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #51
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

I think BMW have improved the Dakota. On my 2015 it definitely feels softer and of higher quality than in my 2012. The 2015 is Red but I can't see why this would make any difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #52
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

I wanted leather on my car and Dakota was the only choice for my model. I really don't mind it, it's not bad. However, I find that it's not wearing all that well considering that it came from what must be a 100 year old cow.

My buddy has a C300 sport with fake leather and I must say it feels as nice if not better than Dakota. Also, it's perforated which is awesome. I don't see why BMW doesn't do perforated leather (even real leather) on the 3er.

The sport seats in the 3er are way better than Benz seats imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #53
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhusa View Post
Nope, all Audis in the U.S. come standard with Leather
I stand corrected. I don't know when this happened, but Kudos to Audi for standard leather "seating surfaces". Funny thing is VAG's synthetic leather is some of the most convincing out there.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #54
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Coated leather doesn't breathe very well either however.

I've had the sensatec in an E46 and had leather in my 135i and 335i Msport.
It's not a high quality leather. In both cars with leather the drivers left side bolster and thigh show signs of wear. It's not cracked, but I'll be in another 3 years, if that long, there would be enough wear to potentially break through.
If not broken through by then it will still look pretty worn.
The E46 sensatec showed zero signs of wear after 3 years.

I didn't feel any difference in "breathing" capability.
I drove the new Mustang with both heated and cooled seats and Ford has BMW BEAT in the seating area. I do think the BMW driving position is better for my needs, but the sport seats in the new Mustang are very nice.
3 series leather is not up to par for the cost. I understand people want leather in their BMW, but let's not kid ourselves that the leather is as high quality as what BMW puts under the skin.

These wear areas on the sport leather seats is not new. By now one would think that BMW would have addressed this by reinforcing those areas perhaps a higher grade leather in the bolster areas and softer in the seating areas. If they offered a partial leather sport seat with sensatec in the bolsters and leather seating with perforated leather I would be all over that.
My old E39(sold at 100k miles) had Montana leather on standard seats, but those had bigger bolsters than the F30 standard seats(non-sport). The big bolsters are usually wear areas regardless of leather or not.

The Dakota leather does look/feel like it has an additional(synthetic?) top coat that is not present on the Montana, to the extent that Dakota does not absorb leather conditioner like the Montana. The upside for that is Dakota seems to wear better than Montana.

As far as breathing with Dakota, it probably cannot beat Nappa and such, but it does not have that foam-to-the-skin/pants feel like the Sensatec after long drives in hot days. For some reason, the MB-tex seems to feel not as foamy than Sensatec, maybe BMW can use the same suppler in future models.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #55
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

I wanted coral red. That was my only reasoning.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 04:33 PM   #56
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Fudge!!! I paid extra for a leather dash?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #57
wagondrvr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328d xDrive Sportwagon

I ordered the base with 17" wheels. I like the way they look. I also ordered Nav. If the car ever arrives, I will be happy. End of story.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:56 PM   #58
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:

You do know that it's marketing? Cloth seats are standard in europe.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #59
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
My old E39(sold at 100k miles) had Montana leather on standard seats, but those had bigger bolsters than the F30 standard seats(non-sport). The big bolsters are usually wear areas regardless of leather or not.

The Dakota leather does look/feel like it has an additional(synthetic?) top coat that is not present on the Montana, to the extent that Dakota does not absorb leather conditioner like the Montana. The upside for that is Dakota seems to wear better than Montana.

As far as breathing with Dakota, it probably cannot beat Nappa and such, but it does not have that foam-to-the-skin/pants feel like the Sensatec after long drives in hot days. For some reason, the MB-tex seems to feel not as foamy than Sensatec, maybe BMW can use the same suppler in future models.
Dakota is top coated like the majority of automotive leather.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #60
DHS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 X1, '15 435i & '98 Z3

Quote:
Might you be happier at a Ford dealer?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 07:27 PM   #61
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS View Post
ill repeat myself....you dont know who i am, you dont know my situation and you dont know whats in my driveway....those comments are not necessary
      06-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #62
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Nappa vs Sensatec would have been a choice. Dakota, in a car I'm going to drive children around in for 10 years? I probably would have paid extra for Sensatec.

As it is, I have $1500 that I can put toward redoing the front seats with something that's actually luxurious if I ever feel the need.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #63
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
you dont know whats in my driveway...
yes we do.

Quote:
2013 328i Estoril Blue/Black Dakota Leather, X-drive, M-Sport, Cold Weather, Tech Package, PDC, Backup cam, Sport Auto Transmission (coded) - BMS Stage 1
2012 Jaguar XJL
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #64
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS View Post
ill repeat myself....you dont know who i am, you dont know my situation and you dont know whats in my driveway....those comments are not necessary
Dude, no one cares who you are or what your situation is; why would we?

You're just some guy bitching over the internet like you just caught your period. What, can we get you a cranberry juice?

Luxury cars from Germany kill you with options; so what? We all know this. Many of us have been driving these cars for years, decades even.

The 3/4 and ///M variety are BMW bread and butter. Not even sure I'd get any off the others except the 2 series.

BMW does small performance cars well. Never was really good on the bigger ones, so many of us don't want a 5 or 7 or whatever.

The ///M comes with cloth and leather because it can hold you better to the seat on track. Race cars don't come with leather.

In the normal cars, so what that many prefer the leather. Buy whatever you like, but when you come pontificating over the internet, take your lumps and move on.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 12:57 AM   #65
DHS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 X1, '15 435i & '98 Z3

Quote:
I do know what is in your driveway.

You bought a car obviously not doing any due diligence and now after the fact you blame BMW for your mistake. Maybe a used YUGO would make you happy. They had very limited options and leather was NOT one of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 06:27 AM   #66
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post

Luxury cars from Germany kill you with options; so what? We all know this. Many of us have been driving these cars for years, decades even.
This is the basic fact. Until people stop buying BMWs because they nickel and dime you with features that *should* be standard, they will keep doing it. Every Honda comes standard with a rearview camera, and in a couple of years, it will be required standard equipment. But it's extra on a BMW.

Except for the most basic Corolla, they all come with a smart key and LED headlights. Extra on BMW.

Sunroof--extra.

Leather--extra.

And the 3 Series had record setting sales numbers last year. And the OP still bought one. If the OP was really pissed about this, he would have bought something else.

So sure, we take his rant with a grain (or shaker) of salt...
Appreciate 0