F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adaptive suspension: knocking sounds over minor bumps
ARMA SPEED

04-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #67
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Progress!

I took my car in to the dealer for the third time on this issue today. Lots of support from my sales guy this time and the dealer was great.

I took away a loan car (320d M Sport Touring) and the service department rang this afternoon to say that they've found a problem (suspension knocking sounds over all four wheels) and they've raised a Puma with BMW UK. The dealer (Dick Lovett Bristol) say they've not encountered this issue themselves on an F30, but they've seen very similar symptoms on both 1-series and 5-series (as others have mentioned here)

They were a bit apologetic about timescales to fix the problem, but I'm actually chuffed that they've found something and acknowledged the problem.

Interesting to see other comments on this thread recently about the problem being common to both adaptive and passive cars. I'm not sure about the steering being a factor in what I'm getting, as it could't cause knocking at all four wheels.

I'm due to collect my car Friday - they're not doing any more work on it - just getting my summer 19" 403s out of storage and taking the winters off. Looking forward to that.

I don't think I'll hear much about prognosis for a few weeks, but I'll keep you posted.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #68
Shaunguitar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport white, CR,8AT

Re mine, with non adaptive M Sport suspension, Lloyd Colne did raise a PUMA case and mine is now booked in for 2 days next week as BmW technical guys have asked them to do more tests......at least their mechanic easily heard the noise and acknowledged it. Hopefully these PUMA cases get linked together......or is that wishful thinking??

Will keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #69
Spacebug
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F31 320D M Sport

Have they said what the issue actually is?

BTW what is a PUMA?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #70
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
I took my car in to the dealer for the third time on this issue today....
Excellent news Dave. I'd appreciate updates.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 02:55 AM   #71
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Puma cases are from my experience a fob off and F all gets done my sat-Nav still has problems and no further action was advised and they had my new car in for A MONTH I got compensation instead, much better option.
IF the computer does not find fault your in the muck because the so called technicians know nothing.
      04-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #72
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Puma cases are from my experience a fob off and F all gets done my sat-Nav still has problems and no further action was advised and they had my new car in for A MONTH I got compensation instead, much better option.
IF the computer does not find fault your in the muck because the so called technicians know nothing.
Compensation sounds good - get the money back for the adaptive option... Yet to get mine, or hear of an F31 with these issues...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #73
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebug View Post
+1 on that. Mine's going in soon to have the gearbox replaced soon, and it would be nice to be able to point them in the direction of my 'clonking' o/side front while they've got it and say "please check the 'whatchamacallit' ".

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 04-10-2013 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #74
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Ouch! Hope they're not that rubbish about this, but only time will tell ...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #75
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebug View Post

BTW what is a PUMA?
They haven't said what the specific fault is. I think they know it's very similar to what they've seen on 1 and 5 series cars recently, but they're not mechanical enough to diagnose it. What they have acknowledged clearly is that there is a fault with the suspension and that it affects all four wheels.

I'm not an expert on Pumas - others could answer that question better. I think it's BWM's scheme for raising problem tickets with head office. I have no experience of how effective or not the system is.

As others have suggested, our case is probably improved by the fact that are clearly many people out there with this issue in the UK (based on small sample on this forum). Even if only a fraction have enough of a connection with their cars to notice, I'd guess there'll be enough proactive people out there in the next few months to get some motion. In fact, I'd guess (even bet) that BMW are already aware of the problem. If you're an engineer (a real engineer - not the diagnostic tool 'technicians' that the dealers have) working for BMW, you'd need to have something quite seriously wrong with you not to spot the symptoms I have in my car after driving for a couple of miles. Suspension noise ... clear as day.

Interestingly, I've had a passive suspension 320d Touring for the last couple of days and there is no sign of the noise I get on my car.

Anyway, this is going to take time for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few months for a fix to get into UK dealers.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #76
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Is anyone who has this problem finding it much more noticeable now? I was wondering if the warmer weather might make the noise worse and it certainly seems to be the way with my car. Much more noise now and very clear from all four corners.

I think BMW are going to get a rush of complaints on this now. Kind of good news, as it will push things forward.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #77
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Oh I don't bloody know. It didn't seem as bad yesterday in the warm weather but then again I was also carrying some weight in the boot. Aarrggghhh!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 04:06 AM   #78
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
+1 on that. Mine's going in soon to have the gearbox replaced soon, and it would be nice to be able to point them in the direction of my 'clonking' o/side front while they've got it and say "please check the 'whatchamacallit' ".
I also get a clonking from the offside front. Not all the time, it needs a certain size/shape of rough surface,so difficult to replicate if going out with a technician.
Looking on the USA forum the problem seems to be solved by fitting the latest steering rack. But what do I know !
Let us know what the outcome is.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 04:19 AM   #79
///Marko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 35d lci

Is there any clonking problem with standard suspension? I´ve ordered a M-sport xdrive with adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #80
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakis View Post
Is there any clonking problem with standard suspension? I´ve ordered a M-sport xdrive with adaptive suspension.
Curious about this too. My order is in for passive M Sport suspension. Am hoping to avoid any problems. Don't even have the car yet and am worried.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #81
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolight View Post
Curious about this too. My order is in for passive M Sport suspension. Am hoping to avoid any problems. Don't even have the car yet and am worried.
I get the occasional clonk.
Not certain if it is the suspension ( standard) or the steering rack.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #82
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakis View Post
i have no such problems on my passive setup
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #83
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboss View Post
i have no such problems on my passive setup
Fingers crossed mines the same. Had to get the DSG mechatronic unit replaced in my R32 days after getting it. Be good to have no such worries.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #84
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
I also get a clonking from the offside front. Not all the time, it needs a certain size/shape of rough surface,so difficult to replicate if going out with a technician.
Looking on the USA forum the problem seems to be solved by fitting the latest steering rack. But what do I know !
Let us know what the outcome is.
Thanks
Hi Isow,

What you describe is exactly what I experience - only certain bumps cause the sound. I find it's much more noticeable over small bumps at town speeds of 30mph or less.

Re steering rack fixing the problem, I wish it could be that simple, but, at best, that could only possibly fix the two front wheels and I have noise at all four wheels ... :-(

I was out again today and there's no question for me about the car being noisier in warmer weather (13-14 degrees today in Bristol). Hope that brings in a wave of complaints to dealers, so the fix appears sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #85
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

I have listened hard for clonking, clicking, squeaking noises whilst going over big bumps, small bumps, potholes, cobble streets with dips and bumps and can't hear anything. Maybe I'm deaf and the car has not done enough miles or I drive like a granny. Finger's crossed and long may it continue.

This thread got me a tad worried. I will continue to listen and report back. But basically I don't really care anymore as I'll keep the car for a year or so and then buy a VW Mk 7 Golf R (the F20 is FUGLEY). The F30 is too big for me and not really my kind of car even though it is a truly fabulous machine. Try as I might, I simply cannot love it. I miss my hatchbacks.
      04-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #86
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

[QUOTE=F30AM;13831981]I have listened hard for clonking, clicking, squeaking noises whilst going over big bumps, small bumps, potholes, cobble streets with dips and bumps and can't hear anything. Maybe I'm deaf and the car has not done enough miles or I drive like a granny. Finger's crossed and long may it continue.

I'm the same. I or any passengers have not heard any anoying noises so far regarding clicking, squeaking or thumping.
May be something for the future after a bit more mileage.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #87
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

Well, I hadn't heard anything on my car till today, but i have to say in all honesty i was going a little too fast for a speed bump and not my careful go slow...

So have to ask the question how fast do you all drive over a speed bump?
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #88
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkata View Post
Well, I hadn't heard anything on my car till today, but i have to say in all honesty i was going a little too fast for a speed bump and not my careful go slow...

So have to ask the question how fast do you all drive over a speed bump?
I had this happen to me yesterday too, I don't think I was going that fast but the jolt on the downside of the bump was quite a knock.

As for speed, I don't think I've ever really checked but for normal road speed bumps maybe 15-20mph, for the car park black and yellow speed bumps maybe 10mph