F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > 2014 328 Sportline
proTUNING Freaks

02-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Party013
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328Xdrive Sport line

2014 328 Sportline

Hey Guys,
Just looking for some input... I currently drive an '07 e90- love the car but it's time to replace it.
Looking at the 328 Sportline and can't decide between Xdrive or not. I've had no issues driving the e90 through Montreal Winters but I now have a couple of kids and my wife will likley be driving the new car too, so that's whay I'm leaning toward the xDrive. BUT, (aside from the obvious power difference) am I going to have a big shock.
Secondly, does anyone know if the 2014 328 Sportline can be ordered with the Msport package and what the cost is?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party013 View Post
Hey Guys,
Just looking for some input... I currently drive an '07 e90- love the car but it's time to replace it.
Looking at the 328 Sportline and can't decide between Xdrive or not. I've had no issues driving the e90 through Montreal Winters but I now have a couple of kids and my wife will likley be driving the new car too, so that's whay I'm leaning toward the xDrive. BUT, (aside from the obvious power difference) am I going to have a big shock.
Secondly, does anyone know if the 2014 328 Sportline can be ordered with the Msport package and what the cost is?
Thanks
328i cant get msport or estoril blue. 335i has msport standard. xdrive/rwd is up to you. never drove the 328i but people said its a really fast car.i would say the I4 turbo is enough power for passing.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

I would go RWD if I wanted a 6MT, if your getting the auto anyways just get AWD. You would probably have to order a RWD model anyways as I don't see dealer stocking them much. I have a few friends that switched from an E90 335 to an F30 328i and aren't looking back. The MPG difference is quite staggering between the two and the power difference much less then you would think. The 2014 328i can't be ordered with the msport. Only lux, modern or Sport lines. The 328 touring does get the msport though. The only two things missing from the sport line is the steering wheel and the front bumper.

Xdrive feels pretty rwd biased, you really see this in the snow with the traction off. Traction in the snow is obviously amazing. I actually like the fact that you can have some fun in the snow without going 150 km/h. I must be getting old!
      02-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

only reason to get the RWD is for the 6MT and the slightly better OEM suspension. Also for the potential to add aftermarket coils/cup kits. Xdrive suspension is definitely softer and higher riding than the RWD model.

as noted, if you're going 8AT, the touring is a great option to get the Msport kit on the 328i. Especially with kids.

the engine is really good (coming from an E60 525xi and a 545i), but needs to be in Sport mode to wake up. if in comfort mode, it does feel sluggish a bit due to the slower throttle response. May be different in an AT as it's quicker to downshift when you mash the accelerator.

the engine in the 328i is really a non issue. Maybe if you got a 320i you'd be wanting for power, but the 328i is more than adequate.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
samej
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F22 M240i xDrive MG

I came from a 07 E90 335 RWD. The difference in traction for the F30 xDrive is staggering. I survived and enjoyed 4 winters with Blizzaks on my 335 but frankly I'd avoid any really bad weather, and always had nagging doubts about being able to move off from a stop on an uphill incline if the roads were very slick. The 328 xDrive just shrugs it all off. I now understand how AWD can put you in a ditch for over-confidence.

If you drive the 8AT in Sports mode on the 328 xDrive it feels (but doesn't sound) very close to my old 335 6AT in normal mode. I drove the F30 335 and the F30 238 as well as my E90 335 on a test loop last summer before I made my purchase.

Frankly I miss, DEARLY, the sound of the inline 6, and bwahaha moments of hooliganism from my old 335 but once winter arrived, especially this winter so far, I have no regrets.
2007 335i Premium
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
BTXP.XD
NOOOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i COUPE

Well, if you had xdrive, you can't have fun in empty parking lots, but sounds like you won't be doing those things anyways. I have a friend that has xdrive, could barely slide it wif DSC off, but what is good is that the chances of being stuck is alot lower, got stuck this year snow storm, pretty emberrassing, also off the line in bad weather is so bad, with traction on, it barely moves, wif it off, it just goes sideways. Maybe im just doing something wrong, but yea, i would stick with RWD just because its more fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illestfoigs View Post
Well, if you had xdrive, you can't have fun in empty parking lots, but sounds like you won't be doing those things anyways. I have a friend that has xdrive, could barely slide it wif DSC off, but what is good is that the chances of being stuck is alot lower, got stuck this year snow storm, pretty emberrassing, also off the line in bad weather is so bad, with traction on, it barely moves, wif it off, it just goes sideways. Maybe im just doing something wrong, but yea, i would stick with RWD just because its more fun.
RWD this winter has been challenging with a new car. just scared of messing the car up some days.

but it has been fun in a slow and controlled way
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
samej
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F22 M240i xDrive MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illestfoigs View Post
Press DSC once - slide the rear out at will (the nannies will modulate the breaks but not the engine). Press and hold it - do donuts all day long if that's your thing. Maybe we just have slipperier surfaces in my town
2007 335i Premium
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
35mmSummicron
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30

I just took delivery of a '14 328i xDrive Sportline. Drives AMAZING. I gave up on wanting RWD about 2 years ago after driving my GF's Audi A4 Quattro.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Hey Guys,
Thanks
Spend the money on adaptive suspension rather than XDrive. Here's why

a) For most of time, you won't need XDrive. Adaptive suspension? All the time.

b) You're a Quebecer. Imagine you drive home with All-Wheel drive. Your neighbors will think a) you're someone new from Ontario or BC, or b) you've forgotten how to drive. Even if you're not a francophone Quebecer, you get behind the wheel of anything motorized with a Quebec plate on it and the expectation is you can drive a shopping cart across a lake of molten lava. If you get pulled over by the SQ you'll get asked in English "Did you steal that license plate?"

c) Except for the western provinces, gas is pretty much a ripoff in Canada. The more east, the more the ripoff. I'm crying for our motoren brethren in the Maritimes. Pay more for AWD and then pay more to run it . . . . hmmmm. Don't forget when it comes time to fix the car too. Well, what have we got here, 2 extra drive shafts, a second diff, oh and a transfer case too. Just hope nothing breaks that requires those parts be removed because that will double the work involved.

d) When it comes to winter time driving BC (in parts) and Quebec are the only provinces with any sense. Snow tires, snow tires, snow tires. Does the Ontario government think we're interfering with religious freedom if we mandate snow tires? Come on Queens Park, wake up!

e) Do not be fooled into arguments regarding safety and traction. AWD doesn't provide any of those things. It's a drive train technology. It provides torque to wheels. That's it. Tires provide traction. Seat belts and airbags safety. The AWD advantage is acceleration.

Last bit of advice. It's your money. You buy what you like. Easy.

Last edited by casualDIYer; 03-11-2014 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
Party013
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328Xdrive Sport line

Thanks everyone for your input... Pulled the trigger on the 328i Xdrive
Ordered Alpine white w/ black leather and red stitching and having the 19" stock mags powder coated black, Tinting the windows and was considering smoking the tail lights!

Dealer won't tint the tail lights so looking for aftermarket solutions... seen a lot about Lamin-X. Any suggestions of where to go in Montreal (preferably West Island) for the best results?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars
Quote:
Hey Guys,
Thanks
Spend the money on adaptive suspension rather than XDrive. Here's why

a) For most of time, you won't need XDrive. Adaptive suspension? All the time.

b) You're a Quebecer. Image you drive home with All-Wheel drive. Your neighbors will think a) you're someone new from Ontario or BC, or b) you've forgotten how to drive. Even if you're not a francophone Quebecer, you get behind the wheel of anything motorized with a Quebec plate on it and the expectation is you can drive a shopping cart across a lake of molten lava. If you get pulled over by the SQ you'll get asked in English "Did you steal that license plate?"

c) Except for the western provinces, gas is pretty much a ripoff in Canada. The more east, the more the ripoff. I'm crying for our motoren brethren in the Maritimes. Pay more for AWD and then pay more to run it . . . . hmmmm. Don't forget when it comes time to fix the car too. Well, what have we got here, 2 extra drive shafts, a second diff, oh and a transfer case too. Just hope nothing breaks that requires those parts be removed because that will double the work involved.

d) When it comes to winter time driving BC (in parts) and Quebec are the only provinces with any sense. Snow tires, snow tires, snow tires. Does the Ontario government think we're interfering with religious freedom if we mandate snow tires? Come on Queens Park, wake up!

e) Do not be fooled into arguments regarding safety and traction. AWD doesn't provide any of those things. It's a drive train technology. It provides torque to wheels. That's it. Tires provide traction. Seat belts and airbags safety. The AWD advantage is acceleration.

Last bit of advice. It's your money. You buy what you like. Easy.
No adaptive suspension option on the 328i, unless you get the wagon. Maybe you can special order it?
      03-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
No adaptive suspension option on the 328i, unless you get the wagon. Maybe you can special order it?
Really. That sucks.
Appreciate 0