F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Wind-Noise Issues
ARMA SPEED

11-29-2017, 09:38 PM   #947
SsixHiMod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: something with a turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush1326 View Post
This is what I was going to post about, I thought it was wind noise but when I came to a stop or driving very slow same sound was present.
If I am stopped east bound I can actually hear west bound traffic whizzing past me
On smooth highway(hard to find in NJ)its fairly quiet(not silent but OK)
Same. Drove 1k miles over the holiday break and the road noise was focking awful especially with the kids in the back amplifying the noise. But as soon as I get on a brand new surface, everything gets really quiet even at 85mph.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #948
AWP1892
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCash View Post
I just had a 2017 330 loaner for a week and noticed it was quieter than our 2014.
Noticed that it had foam insulation strips between the front fender and the a A pillar - closing that gap between the fender and the body in front of the front doors - from top to bottom.

Looking at the RealOem stuff there are also other insulation items on the LCI cars (in the front fenders and other parts.
I checked with the dealer and there is confusion on this - especially the foam strip mentioned above. Although it is actually installed in the car it does not show up in the parts diagram as being for the 3 series - just the 4.

May try to order anyway and see if I can figure how to install - looks like might have to unbolt the fender panel at the rear.

Cheers
Jim Cash
Any update on this foam? I noticed that my service loaner also has these and want to ask them about possibly getting it installed on mine while it is getting the door lock actuators replaced this week if they provide any relief from the noise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #949
spathak
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
I seem to have made a discovery of sorts and thought to post in case this helps anyone else with road noise issues.

In summary:
1. Put some sound deadening material in the gap where the dash meets the windshield
2. Put some sound deadening material (like a sock) in the hole in the suspension tower.

It all started when I took my car to a local BMW service centre two weeks ago and sat as a passenger in my car rather than drive to diagnose the noise issue. The tech said there was nothing wrong with the car, but I noticed that the road noise was significantly less on the front passenger seat than the driver’s!

It got me thinking as I noticed that all my passengers thought I was nuts to complain about the car. It explained why I was complaining like crazy and my passengers thought I was anal... the drivers seat simply suffers more noise than elsewhere in the cabin!!!

Note that my vehicle has the steering wheel on the right, so I’m saying the left side of the car sounded quieter.

After washing my car these past two weekends and carefully inspecting the door seals, windscreen seals and other body components, it still amazes me that after all the effort BMW have spent designing and building the car that it’s this noisy. I thought long & hard that I might have missed something. My windshield seals are fine & the double door seals definitely align.

I then remembered in another thread someone complaining about losing parking meter tickets between the dash and windshield. So I ran an experiment and put a cloth where that gap was. Sure enough, there was a minor reduction in the wooshing noise. However, there was still a ton of road noise entering the cabin.

I then carefully inspected the front wheel wells and found that there was no lining where cables run from the engine bay to the suspension struts and brakes. However, these have been coated in sound proofing rubber.

I then noticed that the front half of the wheel arch is not sound deadening material, but plastic. I then noticed that on the engine bay side, this plastic is visible !!! I had a shock!! I was expecting to see metal in front of the suspension tower, but I saw the other side of the plastic!!! I figured that this might be responsible for a bit of noise, but is likely a BMW weight saving measure. (see following pic)

This may be a source of some noise... but read on...

Upon further searching I discovered that on the side of the suspension towers, as I’m looking at the engine the left side has a hole masked by a metal shield.

However, on the right side, the same hole in the suspension tower is exposed (see the red circle below).

This gap leads directly to the left front wheel and suspension strut… in other words, I figured here was a way of road noise getting through the firewall of the cabin!

I theorised that to reduce the road noise means plugging it up. It made sense to me as the sound could be heard from the right side of the vehicle, not the left i.e. the hole is facing the right side and therefore directing the road noise to the right side (even though the left front tyre is generating the noise). So I literally put a sock in it… lo and behold… road noise has been noticeably reduced!!!

I was sooo happy… when I drove on what I knew was a quiet freeway, the drive was more hushed.

What I’ve done is rolled up two woollen socks and placed into the hole. I am planning on putting some solid sound deadening material made out of compacted wool that I bought at a hardware store used to protect wooden floors from furniture. However, I’m not sure if it will disrupt the black solid bar (marked in blue below). Anyone know what this is? It looks to me like it may be the hydraulics or electronic circuiltry for the brakes. I just hope it isn’t some sensor that actually needs to move (which might explain why BMW cut such a massive hole in the suspension tower).

As for the gap between the dash & windshield, I bought some insulating foam used to insulate doors & windows from draughts. It isn’t doing as good a job as the old cloth, so I’ll try a higher density foam & see how that goes. I'll update you on my progress.

Anyway, sigh of relief that I’ve finally gotten somewhere. I hope that a few of you suffering the noise issues benefit from the research I have done.

My next step is to have my sunroof re-aligned. I remember reading someone mentioning that as a fix.

The front half of the plastic wheel well could be another candidate for sound deadening if I'm not happy enough, but so far so good.

Can you please post the pictures again if possible. They are not shown anymore,
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 04:59 AM   #950
babyboss
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 640d Msport

Garage List
2012 640d  [0.00]
Hear there is a recall on F30's for door wind noise ..
myn goin in Tuesday ..
SA says noise caused by gloss panel rubbing on plastic on window frames ..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #951
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboss View Post
Hear there is a recall on F30's for door wind noise ..
myn goin in Tuesday ..
SA says noise caused by gloss panel rubbing on plastic on window frames ..
Will be interested in your results. Please get the Recall Number for all of us. Is it a Recall or a TSB? Sounds as if it would be a TSB.

Don't think the SA is correct in his description. Never heard wind noise "caused" by panel rubbing on plastic. That makes absolutely no sense. The noise most of us are experiencing is definitely caused by airflow across, between or through some body components/parts and it is manifested by speed- in my case, when I exceed 35-40 mph and get incrementally louder as speed increases. That is not two pieces of material rubbing against each other.

Last edited by Orion4; 03-31-2018 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: additional information
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #952
gomes
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

New to BMW

Hi, my lease is up and I am about to buy my first bimmer. Im looking at a 2015 328i with 60K miles gray/black. 1 owner. No accidents. No warranty. I am having the car inspected by BMW dealer today. Any toughs?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #953
ndshgyta
Rep
Drives: f30

Any updates ?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #954
hbasappan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340iX

After multiple visits to service center I was able to find a service technician who acknowledged the existence of this issue and looked in to it.
He has isolated the problem to the roof trim. Supposed to get it replaced in couple weeks.
Not very optimistic though..will update in couple weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #955
hbasappan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340iX

Well, whistling noise was not due to roof trim. They took couple more days to diagnose the issue...and they finally did.
So, the noise was attributed to defective installation of windshield during manufacturing. They ordered some new parts and reinstalled windshield and now the whistling noise is completely gone.

BMW must step up their manufacturing standards. This is the second issue I have faced (faced issues with exhaust before) due to defective manufacturing process.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2018, 07:47 AM   #956
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

I was getting wind noise which seemed to be coming from the top of the windscreen area on motorways.
I thought it was the windscreen seal that runs across the top of the windscreen. I tried re-applying the seal but it didn't work.
I noticed that the roof rack panel moves slightly back and forth. So I re-adjusted it so it was flush with the roof panel and made sure the windscreen side trim was flush and the rubber was overlapping the roof rack trim.
I'm not sure if it was out of position before but the wind noise seems to have gone.
Only noise now is from the door mirrors and tyres.

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #957
ndshgyta
Rep

The wind noise is coming from the wheel arch and between the front fender and body of the car!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #958
Edwardsnits
Registered
Rep
Drives: Man

Awesome

Very nice...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 06:44 PM   #959
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndshgyta View Post
The wind noise is coming from the wheel arch and between the front fender and body of the car!
No it’s not. Watch my video. It’s coming from the top rear corner of the driver and passenger windows. You can make it stop with a piece of folded up paper.

T
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 01:40 AM   #960
ndshgyta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
No it’s not. Watch my video. It’s coming from the top rear corner of the driver and passenger windows. You can make it stop with a piece of folded up paper.

T
i tried this and does not work for me

Last edited by ndshgyta; 08-18-2019 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 01:53 AM   #961
ndshgyta
Rep

ok after some testing I have found another problem with our cars and wind noise.... the bmw rubber seal that goes around the frame of the door and seals it to the body when closed is 1/8 inch to small. it never touches the frame of the car.. So any road noise, tires, wind ect can easily get into the cabin of the car.. This fix might be a bit harder to fix as I have to source out a supply company that makes the rubber seals to go around car doors like this. I can then just order a length and attact to my car.. easier said than done I am thinking....
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #962
///Mangler
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
No it's not. Watch my video. It's coming from the top rear corner of the driver and passenger windows. You can make it stop with a piece of folded up paper.

T
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #963
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No it's not. Watch my video. It's coming from the top rear corner of the driver and passenger windows. You can make it stop with a piece of folded up paper.

T
Have you checked if your window glass has not slipped?
Have the window half open and grab the top of the glass, pull up on the glass whilst moving it side to side.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #964
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Cool test; what's the fix for that?!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #965
///Mangler
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkey8 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

T
Have you checked if your window glass has not slipped?
Have the window half open and grab the top of the glass, pull up on the glass whilst moving it side to side.
Nope sold the car along time ago. It was brand new.

T
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #966
///Mangler
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
Cool test; what's the fix for that?!
There isn't one. That's the reason this thread exists. I one has ever come up with it.

T
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #967
Vettefan
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomino0527 View Post
Im going to try to replace these next week ill let you guys know if it helps

1) Windshield trim

The windshield drip rails cause noise, the fix is to install the new components

51 13 7 321 818 B1-Clip (Qty 10)
51 31 7 258 187 B1-Drip moulding, left (1)
51 31 7 258 188 B1-Drip moulding, right (1)

So, did this help? I am hearing some wind whistling noise and its driving me crazy
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #968
imquittingthecult
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-SPORT

Is there actually a recall for this? I got a 13’ 328 and ive had the air leak for the longest but It didn't start bothering me till I read this post.
Appreciate 0