F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > No separate bass and treble for different inputs on H/K audio?
Studio RSR

12-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
ERW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive Gran Turismo

No separate bass and treble for different inputs on H/K audio?

I have a 2015 328 Gran Turismo with the Harman Kardon audio and it seems that the bass and treble controls are the same for radio, CD, media, SiriusXM.

On the 2006 MINI Cooper S that I had with Harman Kardon, you could have different bass and treble settings for each of those audio sources.

Am I missing how to set this on the BMW?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I'm not aware of it having that capability, probably because you shouldn't need it. No matter what the source the content should have the same mix.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
ERW
United_States
Rep

The H/K system in the MINI had that capability, the MINI is made by BMW. I'm surprised that the H/K system in the same company's more expensive line would have less features.

As far as "probably you shouldn't need it." goes, we are talking about preference settings for the sound of the system, and you're given lots of them, including a multi-band equalizer and surround sound. I don't know if anybody "needs" surround. It's a preference.

Lastly, I don't understand "No matter what the source the content should have the same mix". Even among CDs they don't all have the same sound because they aren't all mixed by the same engineer. Between different sources like SiriusXM you'll hear that it has a bass boost that is not found for example on CDs. Having a separate tone setting for each source would allow you to compensate for that. It worked great in the MINI H/K system.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERW View Post
Lastly, I don't understand "No matter what the source the content should have the same mix". Even among CDs they don't all have the same sound because they aren't all mixed by the same engineer. Between different sources like SiriusXM you'll hear that it has a bass boost that is not found for example on CDs.
That shouldn't be the case. Be it CD, MP3, vinyl or whatever they all come from the same master. Any alteration from that is a corruption. Of course not all masters are mixed exactly the same, that's a matter of taste, or with most of the current generation of severely over-compressed mixes the lack of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
ERW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
That shouldn't be the case. Be it CD, MP3, vinyl or whatever they all come from the same master. Any alteration from that is a corruption. Of course not all masters are mixed exactly the same, that's a matter of taste, or with most of the current generation of severely over-compressed mixes the lack of it.
It is the case that the same album will sound different coming from different sources like CD versus vinyl. That is an undeniable fact.

The point here is that each of the H/K's audio sources, (HD Radio, CD, SiriusXM), has it's own innate sound. Similar to the H/K system offered in the MINI, it would be great to be able to have separate bass and treble setting for each source.

This is not a theoretical discussion but a practical one, and even if it "shouldn't" happen, we are given bass and treble adjustments and a multi-band EQ to make changes because the real world doesn't follow the purely theoretical one of what "should" be.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERW View Post
It is the case that the same album will sound different coming from different sources like CD versus vinyl.
They shouldn't. If they do the fault lies in the playback gear. However, you can't assume that you're in fact listening to the 'same' album. If one source came from the original master and the other from a re-mastering then that, and not the format, would account for any differences.

Quote:
The point here is that each of the H/K's audio sources, (HD Radio, CD, SiriusXM), has it's own innate sound.
Pick the one you like the best, listen to that.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The HK audio in the f30 doesn’t even have individual volume levels for each of the sources never mind something as complex as individual audio settings for each source. Does seem a bit backwards when even my wife’s Yaris has the indivual volume levels.
Appreciate 0