F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > I have a hard time believing this picture to be true
Studio RSR

02-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

I have a hard time believing this picture to be true

I very much doubt an xDrive car would have problem with this little snow (unless it was on high performance summer tires - again, highly doubt that to be the case here). There's almost no snow around the rear wheels. It's also possible that the car may have gotten hung up on snow pack, but again, not an issue with the rear wheels being this free. I've been through much much much worse snow with xDrive cars (where it goes half the way up the wheels), and it was not bad at all. With the amount of snow shown here, my car would have barely been bothered.

I feel this picture was staged, mostly as a snickery joke. Call me skeptical.

What do you guys think?

vis JALOPNIK: What You Learn Driving A Corvette Convertible In A Snow Storm
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

If this was in an Audi forum, it would go something like this:

I'm not surprised. Because it isn't Quattro.

dL
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL. View Post
If this was in an Audi forum, it would go something like this:

I'm not surprised. Because it isn't Quattro.

dL

Nope

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

We have had quite a bit of snow upstate NY (I live very close to Lake Ontario). My '13 335i xDrive has NEVER been stuck once this winter. Even in the brutal cold mornings with tons of snow on the ground, my car has managed to dig itself out of parking spots. I've infact spent more time helping my neighbors digging their cars out of parking spots.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the xDrive system!
      02-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

The snow is up to the rockers which means the whole car is likely up on the snow. xDrive, AWD, 4WD are wholly useless if the tires aren't touching the ground. There's nothing magic going on. You can't overcome physics no matter how hard you try.
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Bjornizz
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2014 320DA xDrive & 2001 520i

Garage List
Unless the whole car is of the ground that can't be true. I drove my car in snow to over my licence plate and it had no problems what so ever. I even stopped in that hill just to test it a bit extra with hillstart. No problem with that either, so I have to say that xDrive has got me addicted to 4wd cars. I still have mye RWD 520i, but I can't even get out of the neighborhood with it even though it has brand new test winning winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
Sherhart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert & 2015 RR Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
The snow is up to the rockers which means the whole car is likely up on the snow. xDrive, AWD, 4WD are wholly useless if the tires aren't touching the ground. There's nothing magic going on. You can't overcome physics no matter how hard you try.
What he said. Take it from someone who went to school in the UP and did this many times....with a Jeep.

Jimbo

Last edited by Sherhart; 02-22-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

My 320d sDrive has been through deeper than that. If it's true, it's the tyres not the car (unless it really is off the ground?).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Maybe there's ice under the snow?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

I wouldnt be suprised because i almost got stock with a 535xi loaner in that much snow it had all season , was very dissapointed because when i had a g37x it went very smooth through same snow
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornizz View Post
Unless the whole car is of the ground that can't be true. I drove my car in snow to over my licence plate and it had no problems what so ever. I even stopped in that hill just to test it a bit extra with hillstart. No problem with that either, so I have to say that xDrive has got me addicted to 4wd cars. I still have mye RWD 520i, but I can't even get out of the neighborhood with it even though it has brand new test winning winter tires.
The snow in the picture is wet, heavy snow and possibly snow that has been through a thaw and refreeze. Dry powder will blow out of the way. Heavy snow will not. You'll ride up on it and you're done. Tires don't matter. You'll never overcome the friction of the whole car dragging on the snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
^this

Hell, I've even had a Tahoe stuck in snow just like this.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #13
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

I can't opine. I live in SoCal.
      02-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #14
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
Nope

Yeah I saw this demo ( Canadian version ) 2 Oct's ago. Pretty impressive about Xdrive. The demo did what it was designed to do - cast doubt on Audi to give my mind a fair chance to BMW.
      02-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post

I very much doubt an xDrive car would have problem with this little snow (unless it was on high performance summer tires - again, highly doubt that to be the case here). There's almost no snow around the rear wheels. It's also possible that the car may have gotten hung up on snow pack, but again, not an issue with the rear wheels being this free. I've been through much much much worse snow with xDrive cars (where it goes half the way up the wheels), and it was not bad at all. With the amount of snow shown here, my car would have barely been bothered.

What do you guys think?

Of course it's true, it's simply a moron, there are millions of them worldwide, actually more of them than there are BMWs. That's what happens when you don't know how to drive in the snow, and don't account for ground clearance.

I'm not in this situation right now, but if I were the driver, enabling DTC and rocking back and forth while trying to find the traction with the front wheels by turning them in all directions is the way to get unstuck.

Not to bash this person, nor to say I've never gotten stuck (well I haven't but that's neither here nor there, and I will knock on wood), but you need to know how to drive in your current conditions.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
@boss335xDrive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i GT XDrive MSport 19"

This is photo-shopped. The BMW is completely CLEAN!!! There is absolutely no snow on the car...look at the other car in the picture, to the right of the guy shoveling. When you have been driving in the snow, or left the car in the parking lot, IT GETS SNOW ON IT!
      02-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #17
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Maybe there's ice under the snow?
Or the snow itself can be frozen solid if it were sitting there a bit. We have had almost a foot of snow that sat for weeks frozen until it was covered by a second, third, and fourth snow storm over top of it… If the car were there and it froze, could well have been solid, practically ice by the time he tried to move it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #18
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think this guy had a worse time of it:
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17bj.../ku-medium.jpg

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story...storyid=172666
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 12:44 AM   #19
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bgi5eA3IAAAg0rQ.jpg:large[/IMG]

What do you guys think?

I live in Canada and live this every day (during the snow season), yes I have new winter tires.

FYI, we have two seasons. Snow season and not snow season. Unfortunately not snow season is only 5 months long.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 01:21 AM   #20
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
Yeah I saw this demo ( Canadian version ) 2 Oct's ago. Pretty impressive about Xdrive. The demo did what it was designed to do - cast doubt on Audi to give my mind a fair chance to BMW.
If this video cast your doubt on Quattro than you should know that the xdrive AWD system is like the Haldex system that is also under the Quattro name. The Haldex system is what Audi uses on their lower end cars like the A3 and TT and all the AWD VW's use Haldex type of AWD. In higher end Audi's they all use the Torsen mechanical AWD which also falls under the Quattro brand. If you think Audi who has been in the AWD game much longer than BMW uses an inferior mechanical AWD in their upper end cars and uses superior Haldex in their lower end cars than you are led in the wrong direction by these videos. The reality is mechanical AWD is better than eletrically controlled AWD unless you are talking GTR speciall AWD system which uses an electrically controlled AWD but they don't have a conventional electrically controlled AWD system, and it is much more complex.
If these videos was so accurate ever wonder why they don't use real life situations with snow to show the benefits of Xdrive? The reason is because they know in real life situations Xdrive is not superior to Quattro. Subaru who probably has the best AWD system also uses a mechanical system.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 01:54 AM   #21
NBSI
Rep
Drives: Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss335xDrive View Post
This is photo-shopped. The BMW is completely CLEAN!!! There is absolutely no snow on the car...look at the other car in the picture, to the right of the guy shoveling. When you have been driving in the snow, or left the car in the parking lot, IT GETS SNOW ON IT!
This logic doesn't make any sense. Even if they did stage the photo, they still had to get the car into that spot, which means they either drove it there, or that it had been sitting in that parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:13 AM   #22
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss335xDrive View Post
This logic doesn't make any sense. Even if they did stage the photo, they still had to get the car into that spot, which means they either drove it there, or that it had been sitting in that parking lot.
He said photo shopped not staged.

That said, snow can also be brushed off a car.
Appreciate 0