F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How to remove rear seats ( non folding )
GetBMWParts

08-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
BassBoomBottom
Rep
Drives: 1 series coupe

How to remove rear seats ( non folding )

Hi everybody can anybody tell me how to remove the standard fixed non folding rear seats in an f30 saloon?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
BassBoomBottom
Rep
Drives: 1 series coupe

Any help guys? need to take them out so i can move some stuff next week. would really appriciate it
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
I'm not sure but in most models dating back to E30, the rear seat bottom should just lift up and out of its clips so that it can be removed. Yank it up from its front edge, it should be obvious, and then pull it forward.

From there I would look at the base of the seat back for bolts that hold it in.

However, if the E30 is any indication, you'll remove the rear seat back to expose sheetmetal and not a large pass-through like you might be hoping. Still, taking the seat bottom out does greatly increase your usable cargo room, as would removing the seat back.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

But do bear in mind that, with all the seatbelt occupancy sensors/pyrotechnic boosters to pull people back into their seats in the event of an accident, that you will have to disconnect sensors at the time of removing the seat base ... IF you can, that is. You might find that the bases are not designed to be 'user-removed'.
If you physically can remove the base, then I'd suggest opening the 2 rear doors, putting the key in the house, and leaving all the electronics 10-20 minutes to fully shut down. Only then disconnect the sensors, making sure you DO NOT close or open ANY other car doors while you do so (as this might 'wake up' the electronics, as might bringing the key into/by the car).
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep
But do bear in mind that, with all the seatbelt occupancy sensors/pyrotechnic boosters to pull people back into their seats in the event of an accident, that you will have to disconnect sensors at the time of removing the seat base ... IF you can, that is. You might find that the bases are not designed to be 'user-removed'.
If you physically can remove the base, then I'd suggest opening the 2 rear doors, putting the key in the house, and leaving all the electronics 10-20 minutes to fully shut down. Only then disconnect the sensors, making sure you DO NOT close or open ANY other car doors while you do so (as this might 'wake up' the electronics, as might bringing the key into/by the car).
The rear seat base is not a part of the system you're referring to. Rear seat belt attachment points are on the chassis and the latches pass between seat back and seat base. Any electronics would be in the restraint system and not the rear seat, and with the entire seat removed as in the original question the seatbelts will be left behind unless unbolted and separately removed.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
The rear seat base is not a part of the system you're referring to. Rear seat belt attachment points are on the chassis and the latches pass between seat back and seat base. Any electronics would be in the restraint system and not the rear seat, and with the entire seat removed as in the original question the seatbelts will be left behind unless unbolted and separately removed.
I'm not talking about restraint systems/seatbelts. The rear seats in a lot of markets have occupancy sensors. Those are electrical systems which are built into the seat base. Therefore, it would be wise to ensure that, as far as possible, all the electronic systems on the car are shut down, because if those ARE built into the seat base in that market, then they will become electronically 'live' with the rest of the car systems.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
I'm not talking about restraint systems/seatbelts. The rear seats in a lot of markets have occupancy sensors. Those are electrical systems which are built into the seat base. Therefore, it would be wise to ensure that, as far as possible, all the electronic systems on the car are shut down, because if those ARE built into the seat base in that market, then they will become electronically 'live' with the rest of the car systems.
The F30 doesn't have rear seat occupancy detection, I can't find any cars that do since it's mainly for front airbag safety (i.e. supplemental restraint system). If you have rear heated seats there will be a plug to disconnect for that. BMW's part diagrams don't indicate any other rear seat wiring.
Appreciate 0