F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > F30/F32/F33 Classifieds (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor and Seller Review/Feedback Forum > BAD experience with Passport BMW
Extreme Powerhouse

08-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
J2brian703
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC M Sport

BAD experience with Passport BMW

I’m not sure if this is the right section to post this but I wanted to share my experience with Passport BMW in Maryland.

I wanted to buy 2015 435i GC for ED and contacted several dealers for quotes.
Passport BMW gave me the lowest quote but it was above my budget so I sent another build link that takes out Driver’s Assistant Plus Package, but I made sure Top and Side camera is opted in. (FYI, DAP package contains Top and Side camera but you can select Top and Side camera option individually)

Ian, the CA from Passport BMW, gave me a new quote, which I really liked, and I put down my non-refundable $1000 deposit, signed the Purchase Order, and received build information.

And I noticed that Ian made a mistake by selecting wrong Trim color. I emailed Ian to change the trim color and I get no response. After few hours, I received an email from Ian’s manager, Han, with VIR attached. I looked closely to see if everything matches what I originally sent. Everything looked good except the price went up by about $800. I asked why my price went up and he said the original quote Ian gave me did not have Top and Side camera.

I told Han that this is not my fault and clearly Ian’s fault by not adding Top and Side camera back after removing DAP package. He did not admit that it was his employee’s fault. Ian, on the other hand, told Han to take out $800 because he admitted it was his fault but Han wouldn’t.

Han told me to contact BMWNA if I wanted to.
This is the end of story.

Normally BMW recommend to order 3 months before ED and that incident happened 2 months before my Euro Trip which I already booked my flights.
I was lucky enough to find another dealer who would match the price Passport gave me but I’m still frustrated what might have happened if I couldn’t find any other dealer.

I already reported to BMWNA about the incident and this should not happen to any other customers AFTER they signed the purchase order and put down deposit.
I requested BMW to compensate me by giving me few accessories such as Kidney Grills, M Pedals, M license plates.

What would you have requested for the compensations?
Would you have requested more?

P.S. - Please don’t ever go to Passport BMW!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335

Sounds like a PITA to deal with especially considering the logistics of ED. Glad to hear that it worked out and it would just be best to leave it behind because in the end you get the car that you wanted, at the price that you expected AND you get to drive in on the Autobahn!
      08-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
J2brian703
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipangoo
Sounds like a PITA to deal with especially considering the logistics of ED. Glad to hear that it worked out and it would just be best to leave it behind because in the end you get the car that you wanted, at the price that you expected AND you get to drive in on the Autobahn!
Yeah but this is my first BMW and was really unsatisfied with the experience.
Glad it worked out.

What would have requested to BMWNA?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Chipper
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Lemans Blue/Coral Red

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I would not recommend using Passport BMW.

I had issues with their finance and accounting department calling me a few weeks after I signed for the car talking about how they were missing $1000 of my down payment.

That and the paint sealant they were offering (Xzilon) ruined the paint on my new car, leaving micro-swirls on every inch of the paint.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I would not have asked for any compensation.... It's just not in my nature. Looks like you had it taken care of by another dealer at the price you expected to pay.... What more to ask... Maybe I should feel more entitled in life, but as long as I get the car I want for the price I want, I'm a happy camper and I don't need freebies in life.

Also, I believe that dealing with an Internet dealer has a much greater chance of problems, for savings of what, $200 over a $50k car? I got quotes from passport and many others you hear about on the forums, and they did not have a crazy price difference over my dealer down the street. And now I don't pay for loaners because I bought local...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2brian703 View Post
Yeah but this is my first BMW and was really unsatisfied with the experience.
Glad it worked out.

What would have requested to BMWNA?
An dealer screwed up and you took your business elsewhere. I don't see why you feel like BMWNA should give you anything, to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
ardyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 320xi

Sorry to hear that, I bought mine from them and been quite happy with my dealings with them . I'm pretty sure I know the salesman you had as well and I think he's new, which could explain the mistake on his part. The manager is not one I'm familiar with though, and those don't sound like very responsible actions on his part.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
J2brian703
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
An dealer screwed up and you took your business elsewhere. I don't see why you feel like BMWNA should give you anything, to be honest.
Was it my fault to take my business elsewhere?

IMHO, whenever BMW dealer screw things up they should make up for it, otherwise BMWNA should.
It's like your kid does something wrong and never apologize, then you should go and apologize for your kid.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
J2brian703
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardyer View Post
Sorry to hear that, I bought mine from them and been quite happy with my dealings with them . I'm pretty sure I know the salesman you had as well and I think he's new, which could explain the mistake on his part. The manager is not one I'm familiar with though, and those don't sound like very responsible actions on his part.
Someone in this forum bought the car from that dealer and recommended Ian. And that's one of the reason why I was so mad.
If it wasn't for him, I would have not wasted my time and worried about not getting ED delivery.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
alienranch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

We've all read plenty of horror stories on here. This is not one of those. Move on.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #11
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335

It's unfortunate but the fact is each dealer is independently owned and operated. They have their management styles and they staff their departments. They were the ones that dropped the ball, so they paid for it by losing your business.
      08-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #12
J2brian703
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienranch View Post
We've all read plenty of horror stories on here. This is not one of those. Move on.
Did you have a story like this before?
Apparently you don't know how I feel and other people feels about their situations.
Please don't mind me and move on to another thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #13
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2brian703 View Post
Was it my fault to take my business elsewhere?

IMHO, whenever BMW dealer screw things up they should make up for it, otherwise BMWNA should.
It's like your kid does something wrong and never apologize, then you should go and apologize for your kid.
You did the right thing cancelling your order and taking your business elsewhere. That resolved the issue quickly, completely, and with no harm to you.

Something that would rise to the level of deserving compensation, imho, would be an issue with the car. Maybe your new car ends up being in the shop for a few weeks for something, then sure ask BMW to cover a lease payment. Or the dealer damages your car while it's in for service, then ask them for something.

You will almost certainly encounter more unsatisfactory customer service with your BMW. You'll go in for service and the loaner you were promised won't be available. You'll go to pick up your car and have to wait an extra 30 minutes because it wasn't quite ready. You'll get it back from service and it turns out the problem wasn't fixed. You'll have to wait 2 weeks for a part. Or you'll get your car back with grease marks on the floor mats.

If you plan on asking for material compensation from BMWNA every time that kind of stuff happens, then I have a feeling you may end up with a disappointing ownership experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #14
alienranch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
You did the right thing cancelling your order and taking your business elsewhere. That resolved the issue quickly, completely, and with no harm to you.

Something that would rise to the level of deserving compensation, imho, would be an issue with the car. Maybe your new car ends up being in the shop for a few weeks for something, then sure ask BMW to cover a lease payment. Or the dealer damages your car while it's in for service, then ask them for something.

You will almost certainly encounter more unsatisfactory customer service with your BMW. You'll go in for service and the loaner you were promised won't be available. You'll go to pick up your car and have to wait an extra 30 minutes because it wasn't quite ready. You'll get it back from service and it turns out the problem wasn't fixed. You'll have to wait 2 weeks for a part. Or you'll get your car back with grease marks on the floor mats.

If you plan on asking for material compensation from BMWNA every time that kind of stuff happens, then I have a feeling you may end up with a disappointing ownership experience.
^^ this sums it up ^^
Plus, why the hell would BMWNA be liable to you for anything? The dealer screwed up and you went elsewhere. Maybe I should hold you liable for wasting my time with this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

threaten to give the dealer all zeros.
      08-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #16
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
threaten to give the dealer all zeros.
Don't threaten, do it.
      08-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #17
TERAKO35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13 328i Xdrive M-sport

Mistakes happen. It was caught and they lost your business. Hopefully, a lesson learned by the dealership and it's staff. I do believe You should have left it at that instead of plastering their name on this forum for such a small issue.

I could understand if you had actually lost money or you were delivered a vehicle that was not equipped as promised, but you lost nothing and asking for freebies is ballsy.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #18
bmw-again
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 440xi GC-15 X1 xline

If your budget is that tight on $800 maybe you should purchase something you can afford and not be stretched on a payment. Everyone makes mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #19
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

I had a bad experience with passport as well before I bought mine from BMW of Mount Laurel in NJ (great dealer). They didn't actually let me test drive any of their cars, and didn't cut me a single dollar off the asking price. I drove 2 hours but I left. I am thankful they didn't receive my business.
      01-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #20
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post
I had a bad experience with passport as well before I bought mine from BMW of Mount Laurel in NJ (great dealer). They didn't actually let me test drive any of their cars, and didn't cut me a single dollar off the asking price. I drove 2 hours but I left. I am thankful they didn't receive my business.
Same here. That was why I bought my 750 at a freaking Mitsubishi dealer and end up getting screwed over. Passport just wouldn't work with me, even after I drove for five hours to get there.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #21
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-again View Post
If your budget is that tight on $800 maybe you should purchase something you can afford and not be stretched on a payment. Everyone makes mistakes.
you dont know the OP from a hole in the wall...so dont make asinine comments like that.

Theres a level of expectation and business conduct...theres no reason for you to pay a price for someone elses mistake. If they really wanted his business they would have waived the $800, or found some happy middle ground. At least the sales man was nice enough to step up and say he made a mistake.

This could have actually led to a bigger problem where the OP would have arrived to germany to pick up his car and it doesnt have the packages.
      10-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #22
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

I bought my extended warranty from Passport at a great price. Beat BMW of Mount Laurel, my local dealer, by nearly 1k.

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0