F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > joewalton's Immodest Build Thread - 2015 M428i Gran Coupé - Greatest 4-Door BMW Ever
Studio RSR
Closed Thread

01-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #67
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
I'm not delusional, I don't think it even needs "admission" because I think you're the only person who thinks I'm trying to fool anybody.

Typing "428i with the M-Sport Package" takes too long, typing M428i is just quicker and says the same thing. BMW does this themselves with the M235i which is a "235i with the M-Sport Package", not sure why this bothers you.

That said my car is very fast and I can make it to Queens in under 20 minutes if you want to settle this in person.
see your still trying to justify it.

you wanna fight me because I said there is no such thing as an m428? ok, I'm in St. Louis until Tuesday, and I actually work in Jersey City at Exchange place, so we can meet there on Wednesday if its more convenient for you. Otherwise, I dont get home until around 8pm, I'm in Richmond Hill, Queens.

I'm sure your car is fast, m badges add 10hp, and you have 3!

Last edited by exclusivo; 01-10-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 3
      01-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #68
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
I will revert back to my original post before you all jumped on me.

"I love how you refer to this as a M428i...LOL..."

He then tried to justify this saying its the same as a m235 to where I refuted with facts pointing out true differences. Nothing wrong with that discussion because there are real differences.

You guys are the ones blowing this out of proportion over a simple discussion. All of my posts have been cordial. I never said he is a poser or a douche or any other name. Hell I never said anything bad about whole idea. Again if you think that is rude or mean, well that is quite amusing. This is a public forum and is meant to have discussions Xena.

Stop.

I didn't do this to my car (above). I'm allowed to call it whatever I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
You are clearly very enthusiastic about your car, which is great for you

I think the M badges is a nice touch and your car looks really nice with the exterior and interior colour combination

A couple of points from my view:

You refer to your car as a M428i and I understand you feel that it deserves that nomenclature since it has the M-Sport pack. If it really did deserve the "M428i" badge, I'm sure BMW actually would have called it a M428i from the factory... Just like a Audi A4 doesn't become a S4 just because it has the S-line options, neither does our regular BMW models become a Mxxx model just because it has the M-Sport option...

BMW offers three levels of M packaging:
  • M-Sport
  • Mxx models
  • ///M models

The first level just gets some cosmetic and interior mods and optional sports suspension. This is the S-line equivalent.

The second level is a "baby ///M" model that has improved suspension and drivetrain. These cars have options/equipment/state of tune that isn't available to a lesser model. This level actually involves BMW ///M engineers developing the cars suspension settings etc.

The highest level is ///M of course

IMHO it makes no sense to call your car a M428i, just as little as it makes sense to call a 518d with M-Sport bodystyling a M518d...
Thank you for the kind words about my car; the color combination is really nice and I'm happy I've been able to clean up the front fenders and return them to Euro spec.

Enjoy your M518ACd. Beautiful car.
I don't have a 518d...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #69
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton
Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivo View Post
It doesnt have to do with worrying about what people think, or values. It's about facts and getting in touch with reality. BMW does not make a M428, so when people ask you about why you call your car an m428, instead of trying to justify it, you should own up. Admit that you know there is no such thing as an m428 and you just made the whole thing up in your head because you felt like it. I can relate, I have a 435 exhaust on my 428, some people dont like it, but hey, I like dual exhausts and I'm fine with what I did. And you should be fine with making up imaginary model names.
I'm not delusional, I don't think it even needs "admission" because I think you're the only person who thinks I'm trying to fool anybody.

Typing "428i with the M-Sport Package" takes too long, typing M428i is just quicker and says the same thing. BMW does this themselves with the M235i which is a "235i with the M-Sport Package", not sure why this bothers you.

That said my car is very fast and I can make it to Queens in under 20 minutes if you want to settle this in person.
The M235i isn't a "235i with M-Sport package"...

I think you will find that you won't have many supporting that view! And if it was so, why don't BMW just call your car a M428i???

Maybe because it just isn't a M428i...
Appreciate 3
      01-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #70
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Quote:

you wanna fight me because I said there is no such thing as an m428? ok, I'm in St. Louis until Tuesday, and I actually work in Jersey City at Exchange place, so we can meet there on Wednesday if its more convenient for you. Otherwise, I dont get home until around 8pm, I'm in Richmond Hill, Queens.

He's a well known troll, so it's fun screwing with him.
I have to applaud him for his enthusiasm but dude needs to get off the crack pipe.
      01-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #71
Exterminador
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i convertible

Last time I checked, the manufacturer was the only entity naming the actual model of each car that THEY make.

I have a M package on my car but I would never refer to it as a M435.....because BMW didn't name it that.

Look at the registration of your car under model and see what it says...

Also the fact of wanting to fight someone over this is crazy.

Good luck everyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #72
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:

I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm a very confident person, I'm not worried about the opinion that M-Sport fender badges don't belong on the fenders especially when there are millions of them on the road in Europe this way.

As for what I nickname my car, "M428i" sounds a lot better than "muffy".
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 04:19 PM   #73
ManofSteele
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F30 328i Sport Line

Well this thread went in the wrong direction.....

Anyways, great job! Its all the minor changes that really make a big difference. I really love the color combo too!! I have the same color combo in my 3. How's the lower dash? Too much Coral or just enough?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #74
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele View Post
Well this thread went in the wrong direction.....

Anyways, great job! Its all the minor changes that really make a big difference. I really love the color combo too!! I have the same color combo in my 3. How's the lower dash? Too much Coral or just enough?

Thanks for the kind words, MOS.

Mineral Grey and Coral Red really look sharp and sporty to me, and yeah, I think the Euro style of the bodycolored reflectors and fender vents really clean things up on the sides.

To answer your question, I like the lower dash being Red, wouldn't have it any other way. It's something you need to study the photos to realize, but there's a 'split' of color in the 4 Series that wraps around the entire interior- if you look at the photos and follow the aluminum stripe from photo to photo with your eyes you'll see that from the front dash to the rear seats there's a black area (upper dash + doors) a silver area (aluminum stripe) and a red area (lower dash + doors), and then another black area (lower dash + doors) really nice wrap-around effect that would be broken if the lower dash were black.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #75
Enilder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Any planned mods? Love the color combo.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #76
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enilder View Post
Any planned mods? Love the color combo.
Thanks Enilder.

Right now I've made some minor cosmetic mods (painted reflectors, painted Bimmerangs, M-Sport line badges) but am thinking of replacing the amber parking lamps with white ones and perhaps coding a few features.

Should mention that I really like the aluminum pedals too, wondering about slanted exhaust tips too; I had those on my E93 and loved the look.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #77
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 EBII F36 430d M Sport

Quote:
Should mention that I really like the aluminum pedals too, wondering about slanted exhaust tips too; I had those on my E93 and loved the look.
Love the car, the color combo, the wheels.. and the M-badges on the fenders (not sure why BMW puts them on the car for the rest of the world but not the US. Haters are going to hate, so be it).

Would you be kind enough to PM me the link to the pedals on eBay? They look just as nice as OEMs and I love the fact that there is no drilling required.
      01-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #78
340M
Rep
Drives: 435iGC

Quote:
I actually prefer the ones I have now, but I did get rid of the amber front reflectors and black fender vents, they are all body-colored now.

Car looks very clean now, I love it, I'm getting tons of compliments as Mineral Grey is the best exterior color, Coral Red is a bold interior color, and despite the fact that I live in the BMW capitol of the world where you can see 100 BMW's a day I am the only Gran Coupe I've seen and people stop dead in their tracks to gawk at my ride. Compared to my 3 Series, I'm a rock star, I'm Brad Pitt when I pull into Pottery Barn.
Ha ha on the BMW capital comment. when I see a 6/4 coupe or GC I always have to double take its natural as those are rare.

Last edited by 340M; 01-16-2015 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 11:52 AM   #79
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBlue View Post
Love the car, the color combo, the wheels.. and the M-badges on the fenders (not sure why BMW puts them on the car for the rest of the world but not the US. Haters are going to hate, so be it).

Would you be kind enough to PM me the link to the pedals on eBay? They look just as nice as OEMs and I love the fact that there is no drilling required.

Thanks ATL, they look good and truthfully I don't even think about 'em anymore, they're really subtle and small.

As far as the pedals go, that photo was from BMW's site, same ones you'd get if you bought them from the dealer. I'm going to get them installed in the Spring to spare them the road salt and crud that's coming up here in NJ before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GC View Post
Ha ha on the BMW capital comment. when I see a 6/4 coupe or GC I always have to double take its natural as those are rare.
Just did a week in Hong Kong, didn't see a single Gran Coupe over there, saw dozens of F30's and only three F32's. The exclusivity of the GC can't be understated, it's really cool to drive something uncommon.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 10:39 AM   #80
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
Hey Joe! Love your car and keep doing whatever makes you happy! Thats part of the fun of modding our cars to make it the way we like it.

I for one do not care what people do with their cars; remove badges, add badges, convert to dual exhausts, add carbon fiber, etc To each their own. I know what car I have and am content in that.
Do you have any video showing your car with the DRL's on and the amber corners off, and then what the car looks like at night with the amber corners off, and then again what the car looks like with the turn signals flashing?

I am thinking of coding the amber front lights to 'off' but want to see video if anyone has any.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #81
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
Do you have any video showing your car with the DRL's on and the amber corners off, and then what the car looks like at night with the amber corners off, and then again what the car looks like with the turn signals flashing?

I am thinking of coding the amber front lights to 'off' but want to see video if anyone has any.
Here is a pic with the headlights on and no turn signal. I will be installing white LEDs soon and will take some before and after pics and vids. There is also a pic in my build thread with a car on Vossen wheels that shows both lights without the Amber turn signal on.

Appreciate 1
      02-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #82
joewalton
Banned
Rep

I recall reading somewhere that the door handle key holes can be covered up.

Anyone do this mod? Recommend a place to purchase whatever it is that goes in (or over) the hole?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #83
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I recall reading somewhere that the door handle key holes can be covered up.

Anyone do this mod? Recommend a place to purchase whatever it is that goes in (or over) the hole?
Check iND. They have the part.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2015, 11:52 PM   #84
BlkD12agon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535i

Car is gorgeous OP. Keep up the good work.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #85
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
To answer your question, I like the lower dash being Red, wouldn't have it any other way. It's something you need to study the photos to realize, but there's a 'split' of color in the 4 Series that wraps around the entire interior- if you look at the photos and follow the aluminum stripe from photo to photo with your eyes you'll see that from the front dash to the rear seats there's a black area (upper dash + doors) a silver area (aluminum stripe) and a red area (lower dash + doors), and then another black area (lower dash + doors) really nice wrap-around effect that would be broken if the lower dash were black.
Does the leather dash option turn the lower dash to black? It would be nice if leather dash preserves the coral red also.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 10:50 AM   #86
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Check iND. They have the part.
BTW, if you do this mod keep the lock barrel installed so you can still get into your car if something happens to the battery or key fob. My friend bought a used X5 that had this key hole cover installed. Recently, his battery died. I told him he would have to break the key hole cover so he could use this physical key to get into the car and pop the hood to jump the car. When he did this he noticed that the lock barrel was not there! He was eventually able to get the car started by applying power to the starter from underneath the car. Luckily the car was in the driveway and not in some random location when the battery died. Just food for thought if you do this mod.

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #87
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkD12agon View Post
Car is gorgeous OP. Keep up the good work.
Thanks BlkD, really appreciate the kind words.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #88
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
BTW, if you do this mod keep the lock barrel installed so you can still get into your car if something happens to the battery or key fob. My friend bought a used X5 that had this key hole cover installed. Recently, his battery died. I told him he would have to break the key hole cover so he could use this physical key to get into the car and pop the hood to jump the car. When he did this he noticed that the lock barrel was not there! He was eventually able to get the car started by applying power to the starter from underneath the car. Luckily the car was in the driveway and not in some random location when the battery died. Just food for thought if you do this mod.
Thanks. I assumed this was just a little hole cover like the size of a dime- is it something more involved where one would even consider removing the actual barrel?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread