F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 F30 Steering wheel vibration
proTUNING Freaks

10-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #617
kirklander
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F-10

Looks like BMW has just arrived here. ( BavarianFanatic )
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #618
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklander View Post
LOL. Well, speaking of arrivals, I pick up mine tomorrow. 335i, MSPORT, xDrive, 19" (Bridgestone S001's), Sport AT. Does NOT have the DHP so should be a prime candidate. Will try the 40-60mph tests and post again tomorrow night.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #619
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklander View Post
I wish! I'm just an enthusiast (apparently in the minority around here) who loves the marque.

I'm also just a very skeptical person who tends to step back and look at the bigger picture before subscribing to a concept or drawing my own conclusions. Understand this is how most engineers are programmed.

Internet forums are a very poor indicator of reality unfortunately. There's often a tendency to be drawn into the "me too" fray. I'm not saying definitively that this is not a problem. But so many times people read about a "problem" and are then driven to determine if they are also plagued with the same problem. More often than should be the case, they report back that they do indeed have said problem. All the while everyone fails to realize that they're confirming they have a problem they didn't realize they had until they read others had the problem.

Again, I'm not trying to say without a doubt that there isn't a problem. I'm just begging that sound reasoning be used to logically outline the exact circumstances surrounding the issue when it occurs. Incessently posting new threads and polls isn't going to solve anything. It only feeds the hype.

All I ask is that everyone follow the advice of the great Flavor Flav when perusing the internet... "Don't believe the hype!"
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #620
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick955 View Post
LOL. Well, speaking of arrivals, I pick up mine tomorrow. 335i, MSPORT, xDrive, 19" (Bridgestone S001's), Sport AT. Does NOT have the DHP so should be a prime candidate. Will try the 40-60mph tests and post again tomorrow night.
Be sure not to let go of the steering wheel or hold it lightly or you may feel the wrath of the "engineer".
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #621
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Be sure not to let go of the steering wheel or hold it lightly or you may feel the wrath of the "engineer".
I'm sorry, but do you even have firsthand experience with the issue or are you just repeating what you've read on the internet? Nothing personal, but this is exactly what I was referring to...

We're all here for the same reason (I think) - we all own and love BMWs. Let's not get carried away. Have a problem? Go to the dealer. Unable to get satisfaction from the dealer? Come to the forums to see if your experience is unique. If not, initiate a constructive dialogue and share experiences. I know it's the season, but witch hunts don't help anyone in the end.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #622
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I wish! I'm just an enthusiast (apparently in the minority around here) who loves the marque.

I'm also just a very skeptical person who tends to step back and look at the bigger picture before subscribing to a concept or drawing my own conclusions. Understand this is how most engineers are programmed.

Internet forums are a very poor indicator of reality unfortunately. There's often a tendency to be drawn into the "me too" fray. I'm not saying definitively that this is not a problem. But so many times people read about a "problem" and are then driven to determine if they are also plagued with the same problem. More often than should be the case, they report back that they do indeed have said problem. All the while everyone fails to realize that they're confirming they have a problem they didn't realize they had until they read others had the problem.

Again, I'm not trying to say without a doubt that there isn't a problem. I'm just begging that sound reasoning be used to logically outline the exact circumstances surrounding the issue when it occurs. Incessently posting new threads and polls isn't going to solve anything. It only feeds the hype.

All I ask is that everyone follow the advice of the great Flavor Flav when perusing the internet... "Don't believe the hype!"
So, how do you answer this...

I spoke with CA's at 4 local dealers and mentioned to all about the F30 steering vibration. All four said they knew about it, but that it wasn't really a problem. Salesmanship. Then I called Shop Foreman I know at 2 dealers and asked them. Both said they have had cars in for the issue. They have yet to find a fix, bmw has sent engineers to look at the cars (ones that exhibited the problems worse than average) and BMW says they are working on a fix.

To date, the steering rack on the F30 has been revisioned at least twice:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...71&hg=32&fg=12

The front axle support has been revisioned at least once:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=31&fg=05

The lower joint steering assembly has been modified at least once:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...76&hg=32&fg=30

Are we dreaming here?

Oh, several cars have been bought back by BMW. I must be dreaming now...

Last edited by claykin; 10-30-2012 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #623
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry, but do you even have firsthand experience with the issue or are you just repeating what you've read on the internet? Nothing personal, but this is exactly what I was referring to...

We're all here for the same reason (I think) - we all own and love BMWs. Let's not get carried away. Have a problem? Go to the dealer. Unable to get satisfaction from the dealer? Come to the forums to see if your experience is unique. If not, initiate a constructive dialogue and share experiences. I know it's the season, but witch hunts don't help anyone in the end.
I have owned BMWs exclusively since 1996. I am a brand fan, but refuse to brush aside issues they created for themselves.

I drove 2 x 2013 F30 328i models and BOTH exhibited steering wobble. Vibration was barely noticeable while holding wheel but was easily noticeable when holding lightly (since I'll avoid the "letting go" advice you seem to laud).

I more recently drove a September build 335i MSport (without DHP). Also exhibited minor vibration while between 40-60mph and was even more noticeable while holding wheel lightly.

I have also driven 2 x Cadillac ATS that also has electric steering. NEITHER had any vibration or noticeable wobble while driving (although one of them essentially broke down during the test drive which limited my ability to test the first car).

Its clear that BMW is working on something to address this issue. We can either place our tails between our legs and take their word for it, or keep pushing for a fix. The F30 has been in production for less than 12 months. Why in the world would they have already revisioned the steering rack 2x?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #624
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, I'm going to try it just the way you have all said to... I'm picky as it is so if there is anything "off" I will notice. Like I said earlier in this thread, to me it really makes no sense.. people get balancing done and the problem goes away.. if there truly is an inherent issue with the steering mechanism, you can balance the tires/wheels all day long and it should not affect the core issue. A bad tire certainly could as one guy had posted too, but again, if steering mechanics were causing it, even fixing that bad tire should not have rectified the problem. I have new 18's with the winter tires on them and I will swap them out real soon... hope to get by for a few weeks at least on the 19's.. so if I do in fact have vibration, I'll see if that changes anything. Also, not having the DHP seems the be one common factor amongst those that have the issue, but I do not remember seeing any xDrive's in the mix.. of course with all these posts I honestly don't remember. Bottom line, up until a few weeks ago, the last thing I had on my mind was testing to see if this issue exists... something brought to the forefront by this forum. The excitement of taking delivery is of course paramount, but now this will be in the back of my mind. So we'll see!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #625
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, how do you answer this...

I spoke with CA's at 4 local dealers and mentioned to all about the F30 steering vibration. All four said they knew about it, but that it wasn't really a problem. Salesmanship. Then I called Shop Foreman I know at 2 dealers and asked them. Both said they have had cars in for the issue. They have yet to find a fix, bmw has sent engineers to look at the cars (ones that exhibited the problems worse than average) and BMW says they are working on a fix.

To date, the steering rack on the F30 has been revisioned at least twice:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...71&hg=32&fg=12

The front axle support has been revisioned at least once:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=31&fg=05

The lower joint steering assembly has been modified at least once:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...76&hg=32&fg=30

Are we dreaming here?
Look at it this another way. If there is a perception of a problem, then there is a problem. Perception is reality. When backed into a corner, any person/group/company will be forced to offer a solution lest they be accused of ignoring or denying it. The customer is always right.

I've already said I don't disagree that there might be/have been an issue with some cars. But I have a feeling it's not as prevalent as it's being reported here.

And the concept of letting go of or "lightly holding" the wheel in a car with no discernable vibration to "see" if there's a vibration present is just plain illogical.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #626
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, I'm going to try it just the way you have all said to... I'm picky as it is so if there is anything "off" I will notice. Like I said earlier in this thread, to me it really makes no sense.. people get balancing done and the problem goes away.. if there truly is an inherent issue with the steering mechanism, you can balance the tires/wheels all day long and it should not affect the core issue. A bad tire certainly could as one guy had posted too, but again, if steering mechanics were causing it, even fixing that bad tire should not have rectified the problem. I have new 18's with the winter tires on them and I will swap them out real soon... hope to get by for a few weeks at least on the 19's.. so if I do in fact have vibration, I'll see if that changes anything. Also, not having the DHP seems the be one common factor amongst those that have the issue, but I do not remember seeing any xDrive's in the mix.. of course with all these posts I honestly don't remember. Bottom line, up until a few weeks ago, the last thing I had on my mind was testing to see if this issue exists... something brought to the forefront by this forum. The excitement of taking delivery is of course paramount, but now this will be in the back of my mind. So we'll see!!
Don't get me wrong, the F30 is a great car. Its just got some problems that clearly were not resolved during the design phase. I just dislike it when production models are like beta and it takes until the LCI to produce a real world finished product.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #627
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Look at it this another way. If there is a perception of a problem, then there is a problem. Perception is reality. When backed into a corner, any person/group/company will be forced to offer a solution lest they be accused of ignoring or denying it. The customer is always right.

I've already said I don't disagree that there might be/have been an issue with some cars. But I have a feeling it's not as prevalent as it's being reported here.

And the concept of letting go of or "lightly holding" the wheel in a car with no discernable vibration to "see" if there's a vibration present is just plain illogical.
questionable, maybe. Illogical? Not quite. Remember we wouldn't be here (in this thread) unless BMW invited us.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #628
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This is the worst part. I'd say it's best to stay off forums until AFTER you take delivery so the whole experience isn't overshadowed with concerns!

There's also a very definite chance it's a tire issue. Belts that aren't laid/aligned properly can cause vibrations, pulling and numerous other issues.

Fingers crossed your car is PERFECT! Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #629
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When backed into a corner, any person/group/company will be forced to offer a solution lest they be accused of ignoring or denying it. The customer is always right.
You're an engineer. Surely you know the time, man hours and cost associated with revisioning a part. Then translate that to a part in a steering system that is critical for safety and needs to be tested for safety (not to mention driveability). Then implement those changes into production with the associated documentation.

And you think they did that to appease us?

Last edited by claykin; 10-30-2012 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #630
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

I had my car for only a couple days before getting my new wheels so I kind of noticed this but it wasn't too bad. I'm glad to hear it's a common problem because I have been noticing it with my new wheels! It's not annoying or anything, but I was concerned that the different wheels caused the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #631
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i M-Sport  [0.00]
I may start a thread........"The seat warmer is too hot" Keep your hands on the wheel!!!!!!
      10-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #632
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocso1606 View Post
I may start a thread........"The seat warmer is too hot" Keep your hands on the wheel!!!!!!
Not the wheel, the radio. You need to increase the volume to reduce the seat heat...silly.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #633
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
Quote:
Not the wheel, the radio. You need to increase the volume to reduce the seat heat...silly.
Or turn the wipers down to reduce the STUPIDITY AROUND ME!!!
      10-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #634
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocso1606 View Post
Or turn the wipers down to reduce the STUPIDITY AROUND ME!!!
I guess you should find new friends or at least not tell them how you feel.

Take it in stride. Its all good. Lets not bicker over this "shaky" situation.

Last edited by claykin; 10-30-2012 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #635
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
Quote:
I guess you should find new friends or at least not tell them how you feel.

Take it in stride. Its all good. Lets not bicker over this "shaky" situation.
HAHA...It is a little shaky around here!
      10-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #636
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Lets take a moment and pause for those in the NE (not far from you) and wish them well post Sandy. Its going to be a long and painful cleanup for some.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #637
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ok guys, don't shoot the messenger here... I just copied this from another forum on the exact same topic so who knows!! But...a guy having the issue posted:

"FYI - the GM told me when he spoke to BMWNA that they have a "fix" and they will be shipping the parts to dealers to perform said fix. He told them that he didn't want to even discuss that fix with me since I've been put through so much trouble already."

So, I guess we will see. When I pick up mine today I am going to ask the SM if he knows of this issue and if there is a "fix" in the works.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #638
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

i would love to know what this fix is. if its a software fix then i call bull shit.