F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Want to buy a welder, need some input
Studio RSR

12-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Want to buy a welder, need some input

Im looking to get a welder to learn and play around with. I plan on opening up my mufflers at some point and modding the inside and would like to do the work and weld it all back up myself. So instead of paying a shop to do it, one because i don't trust them and i would rather do it myself I'm looking for a welder.

Ive seen a few craftsman and campbell hausfeld gas less flux core welders. Would those be alright to use for that? Im new to the whole thing really dont want to spend crazy money on something that may get used once a year.

thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Miller or Lincoln are the way to go, since everything else out there is junk, they do work but depending on what you are doing the results may not be good.

There is a number of things you need to consider, first what to you plan to weld, material type and thickness. This will tell you how many Amp welder you need. You could get away with a 110V one maybe you will have to step it up to 220V type. I personally would get one that support gas just in case you want to weld AL or something similar.

I too have been looking and I am trying to find them used verse new since those are on the higher price end
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

I also have only ever used Miller and Lincoln welders; arc welding, mig & TIG welding (even water cooled torches). In my opinion mig welding is by far the easiest to learn wether flux core or with gas. Like the guy above posted, look for a used one with everything you need. Read reviews and do your research before you buy. Lastly buy a decent auto darkening helmet. Stay away from harbor freight, that stuff is garbage and you'll just frustrate yourself with inferior equipment; making it seem much more difficult than it really is.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
I also have only ever used Miller and Lincoln welders; arc welding, mig & TIG welding (even water cooled torches). In my opinion mig welding is by far the easiest to learn wether flux core or with gas. Like the guy above posted, look for a used one with everything you need. Read reviews and do your research before you buy. Lastly buy a decent auto darkening helmet. Stay away from harbor freight, that stuff is garbage and you'll just frustrate yourself with inferior equipment; making it seem much more difficult than it really is.
What about this one?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UNMobiqF90Y

Would that be able to weld on our mufflers? Im not sure what they are made of..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Yeah that looks like a great little mig welder. The only thing I would suggest again would be an auto darkening helmet, Home Depot has decent ones for under $100; and also a pair of welding pliers. Lincoln makes those too, they are handy for cleaning splatter from the nozzle, changing collets, you can hammer with them, cut wire etc...

That welder will handle up to 1/8" steel. The exhaust components for the most part are much thinner than that, aside from flanges and the tips which on our cars are stainless steel I believe.
It's possible to weld stainless with that welder you would need to change the spool of flux core wire to a spool that can be used for stainless or whatever material you want to weld.
Oh and lastly safety gear... Gloves, either a jacket or sleeves... Little molten balls of metal freaking hurt! I would suggest also wearing jeans and sneakers you don't care about cause its inevitable a little molten ball of metal will burn you or your clothes.

Oh and if you can find a metal supply company near you I would suggest buying a few pounds of scrap (what ever you plan to weld) or even going to a junk yard and picking up a junked muffler to practice welding on.

Check out YouTube for some how to videos on setting up your equipment and the basics of welding.

Good luck! Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
If you've never welded before, I suggest you have a professional work on your exhaust. It's not as easy as it looks.
Appreciate 0