F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Things You DON'T Like About The 3/4 Series
Extreme Powerhouse

03-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #89
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

I don't like how easy the lower grill is to break. Not even sure when it happened.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #90
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Looks like rocks or maybe a chunk of hard snow/ice. You know that hard packed stuff that gathers in the wheel well and then breaks off when people hit a bump in the road...I hit one of those once and it put a nice chip in my lower bumper. Gotta dodge those with this m-perf lip!!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #91
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
- 6.5" screen is virtually useless if u don't get nav or parking. I for so frustrated that I got a nav retrofit.
- too much plastic in the center console, particularly on the passenger side.
- moon roof doesn't open all the way with a single pull of the button. It sticks out half an inch until u pull the button again.
- auto wipers doesn't handle drizzle. The wiper speed should be better matched with the rain intensity.
- auto high beam almost never works. (This may be because HK is too bright)
- launch control not intuitive. I like the system in my E92 M3 more.
Attached Images

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #92
russellsdad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition xDrive SPY

Re: moonroof not opening fully at first button push, that is because it is meant to stop at a spot that is best for keeping wind noise and buffetting to a minimum. My previous Audi A3 did the same thing. At least you have the option to open fully if you want.

Re: rain sensing wipers, I agree that it doesn't do drizzle that well. In fact during recent drive in pouring rain I felt the auto mode did not keep up well at fwy speed. I ended manually setting to highest speed setting which also seemed a touch too slow for my taste. My A3 had much better auto wipers IMHO.
2015 Maserati GranTurismo Sport, Bianco Eldorado
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #93
mcli
_________
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6mt

This thread should be retitled "3/4 series first world problems"
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #94
traabil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcli
This thread should be retitled "3/4 series first world problems"
Isn't any BMW problem considered to be a FWP?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #95
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by traabil View Post
Isn't any BMW problem considered to be a FWP?

+1
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #96
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

I don't like how the center of my wheel, silver part, makes so much noise!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #97
Geekenstein
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i 6mt with tech package

What's the deal with the stereo volume being turned all the way down when you first turn it on? Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Can't figure out what triggers this.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #98
Adybaby
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i F30

After a few weeks my only real issue is the road noise!!! I can't believe that no one else has had a moan about it?? The roar you get from certain road surfaces is shocking - surely someone else must have this?? Unless I have the worst tyres ever (conti sport compact 5 RF)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #99
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
- 6.5" screen is virtually useless if u don't get nav or parking. I for so frustrated that I got a nav retrofit.
- too much plastic in the center console, particularly on the passenger side.
- moon roof doesn't open all the way with a single pull of the button. It sticks out half an inch until u pull the button again.
- auto wipers doesn't handle drizzle. The wiper speed should be better matched with the rain intensity.
- auto high beam almost never works. (This may be because HK is too bright)
- launch control not intuitive. I like the system in my E92 M3 more.
The moon thing is for people who want another vent option. The rain sensing wipers are trash. The auto high beam will not work in HK bc of all of the illumination, it turns off if the system senses even taillights in the distance, so a setting like HK or Times Square make the high beam superfluous. Launch control is IMPOSSIBLE!

That retrofit is pretty awesome I must say - how much?
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #100
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, Sportline - AW/Black

not sure if mention before but, well i love my F30 and theres only 1 thing so far which i think could have been done a little better:

- Auto headlights: I reckon the headlights turn on automatically quite early... sometimes its still clear outside, still sunshine when the headlights already turn on instead of having only the angel-eyes/led's on.

My dad used to have an Audi A5, but now drives a BMW 5 Series, and he too has the same complaint, he said that in his audi he could change when they turned on through the settings screen (turn headlights on early, normal or late).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #101
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAL55 View Post
The moon thing is for people who want another vent option. The rain sensing wipers are trash. The auto high beam will not work in HK bc of all of the illumination, it turns off if the system senses even taillights in the distance, so a setting like HK or Times Square make the high beam superfluous. Launch control is IMPOSSIBLE!

That retrofit is pretty awesome I must say - how much?
I'm not referring to the tilt function of the moon roof. I understand why its there. What I meant was when you actually open the moon roof, it opens 95%. You then pull it back once again to open the remaining 5%.

Regarding the high beams, of course I'm not talking abt time square. I was referring to back roads where there are no illumination. Such roads in HK are typically on the side of a hill and there's a retaining wall (concrete) on one side. The head lights reflecting off the retaining wall was enough to disable the auto high beam. The only time I got it working was on a high way at 4 am. There were no cars and the street lights malfunctioned. It switched off when it saw on-coming traffic. So I'm just happy that it worked.

The retrofit cost $30k HK, which works out to abt $3,800 US with coding included. I have it coded such that I can do nav inputs on the move and play videos on the move. The M-performance welcome screen and instrument cluster display is also quite nice.

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #102
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not referring to the tilt function of the moon roof. I understand why its there. What I meant was when you actually open the moon roof, it opens 95%. You then pull it back once again to open the remaining 5%.

Regarding the high beams, of course I'm not talking abt time square. I was referring to back roads where there are no illumination. Such roads in HK are typically on the side of a hill and there's a retaining wall (concrete) on one side. The head lights reflecting off the retaining wall was enough to disable the auto high beam. The only time I got it working was on a high way at 4 am. There were no cars and the street lights malfunctioned. It switched off when it saw on-coming traffic. So I'm just happy that it worked.

The retrofit cost $30k HK, which works out to abt $3,800 US with coding included. I have it coded such that I can do nav inputs on the move and play videos on the move. The M-performance welcome screen and instrument cluster display is also quite nice.
I see about the moonroof - yeah I find that a little annoying now that you mention it in my E90. The auto high beam is very finicky so it makes sense that it works very infrequently in HK. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you get the nav from the factory?
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #103
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I see about the moonroof - yeah I find that a little annoying now that you mention it in my E90. The auto high beam is very finicky so it makes sense that it works very infrequently in HK. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you get the nav from the factory?
Well there are a couple of reasons.
  1. Taxes are extremely high in Hong Kong. At the tax bracket of the 435, you pay 100% tax on options. So it works out to about $8,000k US for the nav.
  2. I totaled by E93. So I had to get a car that's on it's way in instead of doing a built. The plus side is that I get to have one of the first 4-series here. Lol
  3. I though I didn't need nav at first. This is still true for the nav part. But the system actually came with a lot more than just nav. I love the power and torque gauges. Connected drive is also really nice as I now can get web radio.

Tbh, without the nav, the screen in somewhat useless. If the screen can be hidden or is retractable, I probably would have been okay without the retrofit.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #104
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well there are a couple of reasons.
  1. Taxes are extremely high in Hong Kong. At the tax bracket of the 435, you pay 100% tax on options. So it works out to about $8,000k US for the nav.
  2. I totaled by E93. So I had to get a car that's on it's way in instead of doing a built. The plus side is that I get to have one of the first 4-series here. Lol
  3. I though I didn't need nav at first. This is still true for the nav part. But the system actually came with a lot more than just nav. I love the power and torque gauges. Connected drive is also really nice as I now can get web radio.

Tbh, without the nav, the screen in somewhat useless. If the screen can be hidden or is retractable, I probably would have been okay without the retrofit.
It all makes perfect sense now and it looks great. Well done and good work bud!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #105
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It all makes perfect sense now and it looks great. Well done and good work bud!
Thx^^

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #106
pgerbs82
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Redesign

I wouldn't really classify a majority of these complaints as useful it just goes to show how petty some people are. Complaining about plastic inside of a car? Really? Guess you didn't notice the plastic before you bought it? Yes run flats don't have the comfort or lifespan of regular tires but they do come in handy under certain circumstances and a lot of these complaints could've been fixed if you bought the car with/without those options. Only thing I don't really like about the car is the stock speakers are nothing special but again, they do have the option to get Harmon Kardon. Electric steering? Wtf? My car handles like a charm, I can feel it grip the road as I take a curve doing 80. Small percentage of these complaints are legit in my opinion. I souped up my car a little bit and it runs and feels great. For those complaining about the tires you should've bought the rim and tire warranty knowing that these tires and rims are super expensive. I got the warranty and already got my money's worth only costing me an extra $12 /month.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #107
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IS350 F Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerbs82 View Post
I wouldn't really classify a majority of these complaints as useful it just goes to show how petty some people are. Complaining about plastic inside of a car? Really? Guess you didn't notice the plastic before you bought it? Yes run flats don't have the comfort or lifespan of regular tires but they do come in handy under certain circumstances and a lot of these complaints could've been fixed if you bought the car with/without those options. Only thing I don't really like about the car is the stock speakers are nothing special but again, they do have the option to get Harmon Kardon. Electric steering? Wtf? My car handles like a charm, I can feel it grip the road as I take a curve doing 80. Small percentage of these complaints are legit in my opinion. I souped up my car a little bit and it runs and feels great. For those complaining about the tires you should've bought the rim and tire warranty knowing that these tires and rims are super expensive. I got the warranty and already got my money's worth only costing me an extra $12 /month.
Many of people's complaints you point out don't matter to most people who purchased the car. But to the BMW enthusiast who has owned/driven the earlier models, the things pointed out are steps away from BMW's claim of "the ultimate driving machine" and their heritage as great driver's cars.

Example of the electric steering: this setup would be perfectly acceptable on something from Lexus, Acura, or Mercedes: its light, pretty direct, but vague and numb. Same with the RFT: something you would actually expect from Mercedes: more convenient, less performance.

With the plastics: I don't mind everything being plastic, but I do mind all that plastic rattling. Its a bad implementation.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #108
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup o' Joe View Post
Many of people's complaints you point out don't matter to most people who purchased the car. But to the BMW enthusiast who has owned/driven the earlier models, the things pointed out are steps away from BMW's claim of "the ultimate driving machine" and their heritage as great driver's cars.

Example of the electric steering: this setup would be perfectly acceptable on something from Lexus, Acura, or Mercedes: its light, pretty direct, but vague and numb. Same with the RFT: something you would actually expect from Mercedes: more convenient, less performance.

With the plastics: I don't mind everything being plastic, but I do mind all that plastic rattling. Its a bad implementation.
Overall fit and finish of the vehicle. While some of the things that people are complaining about seem trivial - they aren't in the grand scheme of things. Casual BMW fans aren't going to come here to complain about dumb things, they come here to complain about what they love - their BMW and in a lot of instances it isn't their first BMW - but a progression of BMWs through the years... through many different LCIs even. That's where the complaints come into play.

Those of us who have had an E90 for example that are now looking into getting an F30: more plastics? less road feel? more nuances that could affect the way one loves their driving experience? less steering input? etc....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #109
Thlian
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 320d XDrive AT Touring M-Sport

If you are complaining about the electric steering, why did you not upgrade to servo tronic or variable sports steering? Here there are almost no F30/31 with electric steering.

And if you feel you are emptying your washer fluid because the headlight washer goes off, just turn of the headlights and it won't wash them
      03-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #110
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here's what I found regarding the steering: "The 3 Series Sedan utilizes Electric Power Steering (EPS). This system uses an electric motor that is activated only when necessary. The consumption of energy is therefore reduced to zero when driving in a straight line or when maintaining a steady steering angle.
Also standard on the 3 Series is BMW’s Servotronic variable assist steering system. It modulates the effort required to turn the steering wheel based on vehicle speed. Less effort is required at lower speeds to facilitate tight maneuvers (parking, U-turns...) while the steering effort increases at higher speeds for more road feel and safety.
The 3 Series Sedan can also receive an additional Variable Sport Steering system which reduces the steering wheel turns from lock to lock by 25%. This benefits comfort as it facilitates maneuvers in tight spots such as parking, yet it also contributes to greater sportiness as it requires less steering angle in evasive maneuvers."
Appreciate 0