F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Import 328i from the US to Germany.
Extreme Powerhouse

12-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #1
Dr.Ogen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 528i

Import 328i from the US to Germany.

Hi,

I'm thinking of importing a 328i from the US to Germany after my internship in the US. Due to different regulations the German DMV requires some E-Numbers and some changes to the US-version.
Can anyone of the owners in the state help me? Just looking on you car an making a photo or tell me if these numbers are shown on the headlamps?

If someone has a 3series equipped with xenon-headlights, it would be nice to send me a photo with the E-Number on the headlight housing. The German TÜV requires that number to get the car road legal.

Is the rear blinker red or orange on the US-version? Can anyone tell me if the rear fog-light is already equipped with a bulb? German officials request a rear-fog light and if the bulb is already installed I only have to change the light switch.

Then there some questions where it's very unlikely to find someone who knows, but does the navigation, GPS, Radio work in Germany and can I set the language into German?

Thanks for helping!

Stefan
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
ItsmeAnuj
Rep
Drives: Honda s2000

I'll look when I get home if the E code is on the headlight.

I know some of the answers as I picked up my car in Germany doing euro delivery.

The rear blinkers are red and not amber like the German spec vehicles. I believe you will have to change the outer taillights to achieve this. There is an interior green filter between the bulb and red lens which achieves the amber effect. An amber bulb will not blink amber behind a red lens. Not sure about fog.

The radio and navigation will both work in Germany and USA but you will need to get the German/Euro maps from a dealer in Germany as the maps sold in the USA are NA maps.

I would assume the language can be programmed or coded into German from English. You can make the units into metric via idrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

Just curious. Why do you want to that? If it is the price then why everyone is not doing it.
      01-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
lokito
Registered
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 335i ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeAnuj View Post

The rear blinkers are red and not amber like the German spec vehicles. I believe you will have to change the outer taillights to achieve this. There is an interior green filter between the bulb and red lens which achieves the amber effect. An amber bulb will not blink amber behind a red lens. Not sure about fog.
Is the green filter something that can be modified or would a new Euro spec tail light be the only option? I live in Germany and have a U.S. specs 335i in order. I personally like the amber blinkers that German specs F30s have vs the red blinkers for NA models. I would like to change mine to look the same but wasn't sure if just changing the bulb would do the trick.

Last edited by lokito; 01-17-2013 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Good luck on the lights I don't have any wisdom to add there but wanted to mention that you might want to check into transferring the warranty from North America to Europe. Maybe it's a non-issue but it would be terrible if you assumed it was transferrable when it wasn't.

If you haven't purchased yet, speak to your advisor and see what you can do. Also, look into if you will have to pay taxes in Germany, just make sure you know your total cost before you act.

Follow this thread (regarding tail lights), seems as though one of the members has done something similar.

Last edited by wdlv; 01-17-2013 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

If u live in Europe & want a cheap BMW, definitely try the export sales offered by BMW UK. The standard equipment are to UK-specs but the car will be in LHD & in whatever technical spec it's destination country will be. U'll pay in GBP w/o UK VAT & be given a % off the list price. Car will be delivered in Ashworth (near Eurostar station) with the option of shipping it to ur home country after collection.
This is the same programme as BMW's diplomatic sales but with a different discount given on the list price, & it's all done with BMW AG's blessing as BMW UK is a subsidiary of BMW AG. The savings are made cos of the relatively weak GBP & also high standard spec of UK cars (e.g. leather is standard for most models).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

With US spec BMWs, while you CAN get maps installed for the navi, and the language and units ARE change-able, the satellite radio and BMW assist won't work in Germany. I also hear that the radio may not work quite as well. I bought my US spec here, and I have to wait til I take it to the US before I'll be able to use these features. No BMW assist/account also means I can't use all those fun apps that let me lock the doors with my phone, etc...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerKiller
With US spec BMWs, while you CAN get maps installed for the navi, and the language and units ARE change-able, the satellite radio and BMW assist won't work in Germany. I also hear that the radio may not work quite as well. I bought my US spec here, and I have to wait til I take it to the US before I'll be able to use these features. No BMW assist/account also means I can't use all those fun apps that let me lock the doors with my phone, etc...
Don't worry regular radio works in Europe for a U.S. spec car. However, you are correct on BMW Assist and satellite radio.
Appreciate 0