F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 2017 340i xDrive w/ Track Handling winter setup
Studio RSR

09-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

2017 340i xDrive w/ Track Handling winter setup

Hi All-

Just finalized my order for a 2017 340i xDrive with BOTH m-sport and track handling package.

I understand the vehicle will arrive with staggered MPSS tires.

I live in a cold and snowy climate, so I plan to swap out the tires for a winter set up (and maybe wheels) essentially the same day I take delivery.

Looking for advice on a couple items with regard to winter set up in this vehicle:

-Most of my research points to Xice-3's as being a great option to go with. Is that a general consensus as well?

-How strongly would you folks advise an extra set of wheels to keep the winter tires on vs. just swapping the tires on/off the wheels coming with my car?

-If the answer to the above is "definitely extra set of wheels for the winter tires" then how do I go about selecting wheel size? I've read about the m-sport brake clearance and believe I cannot go smaller than 18's, true? How about width, offset, spacers, etc? Based on this, tire size suggestions?

-If the answer to the above is that it's no problem to just use the wheels that come with the car and swap winters on and off, what would be the best tire size to go with? Square? I believe the wheels are staggered with the track package, so spacers??

Many thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
I have X-ice. Amazing. Get dedicated wheels. You are safe with a BMW 18" wheel to clear the brakes. Or try TireRack, plug your info, they have wheels that work. Go non staggered for winters.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Blizzacks or X-ices..
BMW OEM 18s should clear but many non-BMW 18s wont.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
I have X-ice. Amazing. Get dedicated wheels. You are safe with a BMW 18" wheel to clear the brakes. Or try TireRack, plug your info, they have wheels that work. Go non staggered for winters.
Thank you for your feedback. When you say go with non-staggered, are you referring just to tires, or tires as well as wheels? What size tire/wheel width (would be staying on 18's) would be recommended in this situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Blizzacks or X-ices..
Pretty much settled on X-ice3's. Would any BMW OEM 18 work, or do I have to consider things like offset and width? Per my question above, do I need to stagger the wheel setup, or can I have those be square?

I am thinking the wheels that come with the car are staggered at 8.0" for front and 8.5" rear, but yet to confirm that. For a square setup, would I just go with 8.0" width wheels for front and back, and then just choose tires accordingly?

Sorry for the abundance of questions....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Pirelli Sottozero RFT tires are worth considering. During the winter, run flat tires - if punctured - will provide an extra safety margin to get to the dealer or nearest shop without changing the tire.

OEM BMW wheels, such as 18" 400M wheels, offer sufficient clearance for M Sport brakes. I also recommend OEM wheels for dedicated winter wheel / tire set.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 08:05 PM   #6
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb Mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
Thank you for your feedback. When you say go with non-staggered, are you referring just to tires, or tires as well as wheels? What size tire/wheel width (would be staying on 18's) would be recommended in this situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Blizzacks or X-ices..
Pretty much settled on X-ice3's. Would any BMW OEM 18 work, or do I have to consider things like offset and width? Per my question above, do I need to stagger the wheel setup, or can I have those be square?

I am thinking the wheels that come with the car are staggered at 8.0" for front and 8.5" rear, but yet to confirm that. For a square setup, would I just go with 8.0" width wheels for front and back, and then just choose tires accordingly?

Sorry for the abundance of questions....
Non staggered wheels & tires. I.E. 225/45/18 front & back. 18 "x8" recommend OEM BMW wheels. You can get OEM wheels at a great prices from Finishlinewheels.com. Or try this site.
Appreciate 0