F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Manual or Automatic
Studio RSR

01-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #89
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

If I can only find an auto that suits my needs, I'll buy it. But then I swap in a proper trans to make everything right with the world. Hell, I've been on a quest for Getrag S6S 560G for my 750iL forever. But as soon as I find one, it'll have a new home in short order.

You DRIVE a manual. You RIDE in an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #90
MinnesotaVegans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive M Sport

Will I love or hate the automatic?

I would like a 2013 335i x-drive M sport manual wagon, but
Considering a 2013 335i x-drive M sport sedan manual or automatic?
My 335i x-drive sedan manual is getting old.

I test drove a 335d automatic a couple years ago. Went about 20 miles and hated it. It had about 9 miles on the odometer, so I was afraid to put many miles on it. The only way it would accelerate, was if I put the pedal all the way to floor. Small movements were ignored almost. It seemed more concerned with mpg than acceleration. I thought I was driving my lawn tractor until I floored it. Yuck.

I tried paddling, but it always shifted before I told it to. Could not get the hang of it.

On the other hand, I had a 1957 Ford automatic 352 cu in. The slightest foot twitch would instantly push me into the seat back. Great.

On the other, other hand, I had a 1982 Firebird automatic 5.7 litre. It would accelerate with knock and ping noises from the engine. Not enjoyable.

Do you need to floor the current BMW automatic to get it to move? Is that normal or desirable?

I think I would need to drive an automatic for several days before I would risk ordering one.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #91
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Welcome!

The latest eight speed AT is vastly better than most and responds very nicely to driver input. Additionally, by placing the shifter to the left one has a great deal of control over individual gear changes.

My impression is most MT drivers who bought the AT are pleased overall.

Make an appointment and take a car out for a long test drive. You will know quite quickly if you will be happy with the AT.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #92
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaVegans View Post
...I test drove a 335d automatic a couple years ago. Went about 20 miles and hated it. It had about 9 miles on the odometer, so I was afraid to put many miles on it. The only way it would accelerate, was if I put the pedal all the way to floor. Small movements were ignored almost. It seemed more concerned with mpg than acceleration. I thought I was driving my lawn tractor until I floored it. Yuck.

Do you need to floor the current BMW automatic to get it to move? Is that normal or desirable?....
Something wrong with the diesel auto you tried, what you describe is nothing like it should be. The auto boxes are a very good match to the BMW diesels, very flexible and go well on light throtle.

And no, BMW autos are not like you have experienced.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #93
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
If I lived in the city or commuted to the city, no way would I ever order a stick.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #94
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew
How many longtime MT drivers getting an F30 are going to switch camps and get the AT?
I am in that same situation - have driven MT since I got my first car in 1980 - but keep waffling between MT and AT.

Previously I could justify MT since it was less money AND more efficient. But, with the big improvement in performance & fuel economy of the new 8AT, and the fact that it is no extra cost in the US, curious to hear opinions from MT drivers.
I did.
This 8 speed is a force to reckon.

I didn't even get the sport version either!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #95
kevlartoronto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a4 3.2L avant 6spd

it seems bmw is making this decision for us. most of their cars are automatic only. wrt the 3 series the 320i xdrive is auto only, 328i xdrive is auto only, the up and coming 328d xdrive and rwd will be auto only. the wagon? auto only. i live in canada where most cars are now awd. the a4 quattro comes with a manual and i actually save 1500 bucks by choosing it. why does bmw seem to think that if i need awd, it also means i want an automatic? oh right, the 335i xdrive starting at 54k can be had with manual as a no cost option. cue eye rolling.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #96
yellowllewellyn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

I'm a life time Manuel driver and until I'm to old to shift. I'm all stick shift.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #97
Geekenstein
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i 6mt with tech package

I wish I could say manual was definitely the way to go, but I'm not perfectly happy with it. With the N20 it's difficult to match revs on a downshift. In comfort or eco-pro there's some artificial throttle lag, so I found I had to learn to gradually press the pedal down instead of using a quick "blip". Also the engine is pretty quiet below 4000 rpm, so you don't always have good sound cues. In sport mode it's not too bad though. Also the stick is very notchy. Hoping it will loosen up with time.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #98
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekenstein View Post
I wish I could say manual was definitely the way to go, but I'm not perfectly happy with it. With the N20 it's difficult to match revs on a downshift. In comfort or eco-pro there's some artificial throttle lag, so I found I had to learn to gradually press the pedal down instead of using a quick "blip". Also the engine is pretty quiet below 4000 rpm, so you don't always have good sound cues. In sport mode it's not too bad though. Also the stick is very notchy. Hoping it will loosen up with time.
I would agree MT is better matched to the 335i I6 than the 328i I4, esp. for the sound cues.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #99
weixp386
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i & 2011 318i

MT 6 all da way....
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #100
Geekenstein
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i 6mt with tech package

I should add, the clutch feel is superb. Much better than other cars I have driven. It's also a bit on the light side. So not too bad in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #101
Digtlartst
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328xi 6MT Alpinweiss

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by weixp386 View Post
MT 6 all da way....
Straight 6 and MT 6 all da way.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #102
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlartoronto View Post
it seems bmw is making this decision for us. most of their cars are automatic only. wrt the 3 series the 320i xdrive is auto only, 328i xdrive is auto only, the up and coming 328d xdrive and rwd will be auto only. the wagon? auto only. i live in canada where most cars are now awd. the a4 quattro comes with a manual and i actually save 1500 bucks by choosing it. why does bmw seem to think that if i need awd, it also means i want an automatic? oh right, the 335i xdrive starting at 54k can be had with manual as a no cost option. cue eye rolling.
Lots of Audis available in man. I just got one and LOVE it. Had about 10 to choose from. I think more and more BMW drivers are being driven by those that want to drive a "BMW"......and the new DCTs are really good if you can't be bothered to shift yourself. Same with all marques I think.
Ferrari doesnt offer a manual gearbox. Porsches #1 seller is 911 cab PDK.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #103
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I like auto trannys but I never drive in auto mode im always switching gears on my own with the shifter or paddles. I hate to let the car switch gears for me feels very weird. I do know how to drive a MT but never owned one, I also live in LA and constantly stuck in traffic. I would like to hear from someone who only drives while shifting in manual mode with the 8zf, is it fun? do you regret not getting the 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #104
sevenmxf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

My F30 is the first AT I've ever owned. I would've preferred a 6MT but I wanted xDrive and 6MT obviously wasn't available in the 328. I drive the car about 70% of the time in manual mode mostly with the paddle shifters and I gotta say that it's pretty sweet, the shifts are very crisp and I feel like I have nearly as much control over the car as a manual. The M Performance exhaust provides me with a bit more feedback than the stock exhaust - makes it that much better. Still would've liked to have had the option for a 6MT, but I don't feel like I'm compromising with this AT.
      06-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #105
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Welcome!

The latest eight speed AT is vastly better than most and responds very nicely to driver input. Additionally, by placing the shifter to the left one has a great deal of control over individual gear changes.

My impression is most MT drivers who bought the AT are pleased overall.

Make an appointment and take a car out for a long test drive. You will know quite quickly if you will be happy with the AT.
Couldn't agree more. Im a MT person and often miss it. But the engineering behind this zf 8 speed auto is ridiculously awesome. I dont have one complaint about it. Does what I need and keeps me interested in driving when I want to drive, and cruise when I want to cruise.
      06-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #106
Poohbore
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F31 xDrive

I test drove an auto F31 and liked it especially in the sport mode rather than Eco. Normally the auto costs us more in tax in the UK when you have a company car because of the CO2 emmissions. But as its the same for the mt and auto it came down to the cost which meant auto or nav, a no brained for me
      06-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #107
Kauro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Was looking for a Manual one, then reality hit me. I Sold my Evo 9 for a reason to get a commuter car. Being stuck in traffic going and coming home from work totally kills it for me. Especially on the 405. I often do miss it (on the weekends only) but Monday-Friday....you bet i don't miss it. Hopefully in the future I can get a weekend warrior. That will definitely be manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #108
kolomee
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335xi

Had a loaded F30 320i xdrive as a loaner for the day while my E90 was in the shop for the power cable recall recently. The 320i was surprisingly peppy given its modest numbers; much more responsive than the E91 328i that I had the last time.

Back to the 8spd auto. Gave it a decent go and tried out the various modes during my day with it. Was it better than the other autos (including the bimmer ones) that I have tried? Definitely. Did it convince me that I can give up my MT for it? Not even close. Shifts were good, and the autobox kept the revs in the right range most of the time; but when it came time to play and switched to manual mode; there was still that brief disconnect between hitting the gear and it actually doing anything. Very minor, but enough to annoy the heck out of me. I found myself leaving the box is auto mode most of the time, which eventually bored me to tears. I missed my clutch pedal terribly.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #109
Poohbore
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F31 xDrive

Forgot to mention the sales guy I was talking to at the stealer said later they were bringing out a 10 speed auto which would be a rival to the Mercedes 9 speed that is coming out shortly.

Not sure if its true but who knows
      06-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #110
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E82 Msport, manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolomee View Post
Had a loaded F30 320i xdrive as a loaner for the day while my E90 was in the shop for the power cable recall recently. The 320i was surprisingly peppy given its modest numbers; much more responsive than the E91 328i that I had the last time.

Back to the 8spd auto. Gave it a decent go and tried out the various modes during my day with it. Was it better than the other autos (including the bimmer ones) that I have tried? Definitely. Did it convince me that I can give up my MT for it? Not even close. Shifts were good, and the autobox kept the revs in the right range most of the time; but when it came time to play and switched to manual mode; there was still that brief disconnect between hitting the gear and it actually doing anything. Very minor, but enough to annoy the heck out of me. I found myself leaving the box is auto mode most of the time, which eventually bored me to tears. I missed my clutch pedal terribly.
I too had my E90 in for the battery cable and received a 320i automatic loaner. I found the imprecision of the transmission to be unbearable. My BMW experience began with a 1972 BMW 2002 and continued on with one of every new 3 series generation up to my current E90. Alas, it seems that after 50 continuous years of ownership, the E90 could be my last BMW. Although I am not fond of Audis, it is looking like the only viable alternative. I want a small 4 door body and I don't want more power than a 328i produces. It appears, at least here in Canada, that the days of manual transmission availability in a 328i are numbered as are the days of rear wheel drive.

I notice that the "Ultimate Driving Machine" advertisements with the engine singing as the driver downshifts on a twisty road are gone, maybe because it isn't true anymore. The little BMW has become big, fat and bloated likely to better suit moms dropping kids off at school or shopping at the mall. Too bad.
Appreciate 0