F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 F30 Steering wheel vibration
proTUNING Freaks

12-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #727
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc42 View Post
So the new rack went into cars starting with week 45? And is this new rack VSS, non-VSS, or both?
Yes. Both.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #728
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
150MPH?

11/19 build? Your car came over via airfreight? Or is that 11/19/11?
ED. Picked-up 11/22/12.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #729
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
ED. Picked-up 11/22/12.
Right. I forgot you were doing ED, even with all that discussion we had over fueling cars at the Welt.

So, how was your experience? Does your car have DHP? Notice if the steering felt and tighter or better road feel with the new production changes? What tires did you get?

My 11/8/2012 production F30 is in Brunswick, GA right now. I should have it Saturday or Monday if all goes well.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #730
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right. I forgot you were doing ED, even with all that discussion we had over fueling cars at the Welt.

So, how was your experience? Does your car have DHP? Notice if the steering felt and tighter or better road feel with the new production changes? What tires did you get?

My 11/8/2012 production F30 is in Brunswick, GA right now. I should have it Saturday or Monday if all goes well.

ED was awesome. I'll never do it any other way.

No DHP - just straight M Sport. Stock tires were Goodyears. Winters were Sotozeros. I never drove an M Sport prior to ordering, so I can't comment on "better" feel. I will say handling and feel were just plain awesome, with BOTH tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #731
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
July 2013? Back To The Future! Please tell us about the MY14 F30...

Sounds like you have one RE970 that needs to be rotated on the rim so they can balance with less weight or maybe the tire is bad. It so annoys me when tire shops don't take the time to place a tire on the rim properly and adhere to the manufacturer recommendation on where to match the valve stem. (That's what that little circle/mark means on the outer edge of the tire. Match it with the valve stem...stupid tire shop!)

May not be so easy to get the rack replaced if the 11/2012 mods fix things. Several others parts were modified at the same time. BMWAG may not want one part replaced without the others. If they obsolete the older rack(s) as "ENDED" then the newer rack will be available to earlier production cars. That's just the way it goes.
No, you don't want to hear what's up for 2014.

The "stupid tire shop" as you call it is the actual TireRack in S. Bend, IN.
They've always done a good job, but time, not that great.
I would have redone the tire if it showed needing all that weight.
A 180 degree turn and then retest for balance.
Problem is that I didn't see this until I got home, which is about 70 miles away.

I'll likely be taking the RE970's back and get a set of Conti DWS, which worked great on my 135i.
The RE's do have great steering response though, a tad better than the OEM S001's. The DWS are known for being a bit slower. But, that's ok as I simply added a bit more air with the 135i and they responded nicely with better response.
The RE's are heavy and I can feel it too on bigger bumps. It's like I can feel their weight. It's odd, but I can't explain the feeling better than that.
Also, TireRacks testing showed the RE's as losing 1MPG compared to the other tires testd against it, and my MPG has dropped by about 1MPG, calculated manually.

As for the steering rack, I mostly want the clunk/thunk fixed.
I would really prefer the new rack IF it's better, but I don't have any vibration, so fixing the problem will make me happy again.

What other steering rack parts were replaced?
Are you saying that the mounting may be different?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #732
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
No, you don't want to hear what's up for 2014.
I do, I do. For sure New Nav. Very likely another steering update since realoem.com shows the current steering rack EOL is 7/2013. And I'm sure some more...

Quote:
The "stupid tire shop" as you call it is the actual TireRack in S. Bend, IN.
They've always done a good job, but time, not that great.
I would have redone the tire if it showed needing all that weight.
A 180 degree turn and then retest for balance.
Problem is that I didn't see this until I got home, which is about 70 miles away.
What would you call a tire shop, such as Tirerack HQ, that cannot figure out the most simplest task which is to match the circle on the tire to the valve stem? Brilliant? Brain surgeons? NOT! I had a conversation with an engineer from Michelin while at the BMW PC and he 100% agreed with me that 90% of tire shops ignore the obvious and most trained items.

Quote:
What other steering rack parts were replaced?
Are you saying that the mounting may be different?
See here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...hlight=claykin
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #733
dc_bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Update: my winter set has been road forced balanced vibrations are now bareable my dealer acknowledges the remaining vibrations and ordered a new steering rack. It us in back order now.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #734
mobius80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2012 (F30)

Garage List
2012 328i  [0.00]
I had this problem since the beginning with my 328, and had been following this thread very carefully.

However, recently, I have noticed that the vibration was completely gone. I'm now having 12500km on the odometer, and I'm not sure exactly when the vibration went away.

Not done anything to improve things (not have changed tires, not have performed alignment, etc).

Anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #735
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius80 View Post
I had this problem since the beginning with my 328, and had been following this thread very carefully.

However, recently, I have noticed that the vibration was completely gone. I'm now having 12500km on the odometer, and I'm not sure exactly when the vibration went away.

Not done anything to improve things (not have changed tires, not have performed alignment, etc).

Anyone else experienced this?
Yeah, this has been mentioned a few times in this thread. I am now at about 4k miles and have also noticed decreasing amount of this-- not sure if it's tire related due to wear or if it's some sort of component settling. Oh well. Most days I forget about it I am tempted to take it to the dealer, but am so lazy.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #736
mobius80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2012 (F30)

Garage List
2012 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezz View Post
Yeah, this has been mentioned a few times in this thread. I am now at about 4k miles and have also noticed decreasing amount of this-- not sure if it's tire related due to wear or if it's some sort of component settling. Oh well. Most days I forget about it I am tempted to take it to the dealer, but am so lazy.
I will put winter tires next week. I hope the problem won't reappear...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #737
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Ugh... this thread is so similar to the e90 HPFP threads that it scares me to death. I keep getting close to ordering a new F30 but stuff like this makes me hold back. BTW I'm currently on my 3rd HPFP in my e90 and its gone strong for nearly 10k miles... it only took bmw 4 years and a class action law suit to solve the problem so there is hope for all you steering whell shakers
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #738
NV328
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328

Just back from the dealer

I'm new to this forum, but have documented my saga on another site. Bottom line, after 30+ days in the shop, I finally got a new rack installed, along with 2 new wheels and 3 new tires. If you're having the wheel vibration issue, take your car in and get the new rack. It's the only fix. I've seen a couple of comments on this forum about the vibration going away. One of the things I learned from contacts with BMW is that there is a correlation with temperature and the shimmy. So if you're in a colder climate you may see it go away as the temperature cools, only to see it return when the temps rise. The good news is that it appears to be fixable. Get your cars in if you have this problem, or maybe we'll see a recall soon (if not a class action law suit).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #739
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV328 View Post
I'm new to this forum, but have documented my saga on another site. Bottom line, after 30+ days in the shop, I finally got a new rack installed, along with 2 new wheels and 3 new tires. If you're having the wheel vibration issue, take your car in and get the new rack. It's the only fix. I've seen a couple of comments on this forum about the vibration going away. One of the things I learned from contacts with BMW is that there is a correlation with temperature and the shimmy. So if you're in a colder climate you may see it go away as the temperature cools, only to see it return when the temps rise. The good news is that it appears to be fixable. Get your cars in if you have this problem, or maybe we'll see a recall soon (if not a class action law suit).
If the issue is the rack, why did they replace 2 wheels and 3 tires? Or were those replaced previous to the rack?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #740
dc_bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

How much lead is to be expected after balancing?
I was used to only ten to twenty grams and now I have as much as 35 grams in 5 Gram blocks. This also means the weights are not all at the exact location the balancing machine indicated, right? The weights stretch over more then 5 centimeters.
Any expert insight on this?
(Yes, I still have vibrations and are waiting for a now rack to arrive)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #741
NV328
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
If the issue is the rack, why did they replace 2 wheels and 3 tires? Or were those replaced previous to the rack?
Sorry, should have explained that. We started with a road force balance (didn't work), then we replaced the wheel bearings (didn't work), then we replaced the tires (didn't work), then we replaced the wheels (didn't work), then we finally got BMWNA to release a new rack. I just got it last night so I'm going to drive it around today at varying speeds to make sure this solves the problem. Just so folks are aware, BMW is shipping 50 new racks a month to the US to fix this problem. Most are going to Florida as this is where most of the issues are (see my previous comments about the temperature correlation). Do the best you can with your local dealer. I do believe that it's imperative to have your dealer on your side as they will have to go to bat with BMWNA to get this fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #742
eanhalt1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Thumbs up

I had steering wheel vibration from day one. My dealer replaced the steering rack, 4 new rims and tires plus road force balancing. It required all of this to completely get rid of the vibration. I'm now happy to report zero vibration.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #743
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, should have explained that. We started with a road force balance (didn't work), then we replaced the wheel bearings (didn't work), then we replaced the tires (didn't work), then we replaced the wheels (didn't work), then we finally got BMWNA to release a new rack. I just got it last night so I'm going to drive it around today at varying speeds to make sure this solves the problem. Just so folks are aware, BMW is shipping 50 new racks a month to the US to fix this problem. Most are going to Florida as this is where most of the issues are (see my previous comments about the temperature correlation). Do the best you can with your local dealer. I do believe that it's imperative to have your dealer on your side as they will have to go to bat with BMWNA to get this fixed.
As of 12/4, the last time I spoke with a dealer shop foreman, there has not been any new bulletin on the vibration issue. Last bulletin is the one where they ask dealers to measure the runout of hubs and wheels.

Beginning 11/2012 production, BMW changed the rack (4th edition of the F30 rack), front wheel hubs, steering column and a few other associated steering parts. Its possible several parts need to be replaced to fix this issue 100%.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #744
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_bmw View Post
How much lead is to be expected after balancing?
I was used to only ten to twenty grams and now I have as much as 35 grams in 5 Gram blocks. This also means the weights are not all at the exact location the balancing machine indicated, right? The weights stretch over more then 5 centimeters.
Any expert insight on this?
(Yes, I still have vibrations and are waiting for a now rack to arrive)
35 grams is acceptable weight to be added during balancing. That's equivalent to 1.25 OZ.

70 grams would still be acceptable (by industry standards).
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #745
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

What would you call a tire shop, such as Tirerack HQ, that cannot figure out the most simplest task which is to match the circle on the tire to the valve stem? Brilliant? Brain surgeons? NOT! I had a conversation with an engineer from Michelin while at the BMW PC and he 100% agreed with me that 90% of tire shops ignore the obvious and most trained items.

See here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...hlight=claykin
Yes, that's called "match mounting", and using the dots is the "correct" starting point to mount and balanace.
The problem is nearly no tire shop nor it's employees bother to use match mounting as a good starting point. I would expect TireRacks installers to know better, but maybe it was a newer less experienced installer.
Yes, it should be basic tire installer knowledge and practice, but the real world can suck.

I didn't make any qualitative comments regarding the intelligence or ability of their employees nor am I defending them
As I stated, they've done a great job on my cars before, but this time it looks like too much weight.
I simply pointed out that the tire ship you called stupid is the TireRack.
They mount and balance a LOT of tires, so there is a lot of experience there.
My tires are balanced, there is no vibration at any speed.
Yes, there is a lot of weights on there, but they are balanced.

How much weight is too much?
TireRack rep says there isn't an industry standard. TireRack states, and uses, that no more than 1% of the wheel + tire weight be used.
I don't know the exact weight of the OEM 18" Msport wheel, but let's say it's 27lbs. The tire weighs a hefty 27lbs.
54lbs total = 864oz. 1% of 864oz = 8.64oz.
That would be the extreme limit. I don't know exactly, I have to check, but I don't think there is that much.
TireRack uses 1/4oz each weights, and they are made of steel not lead. Lead weights are denser so there is less visible weight when balancing. With steel weights it will look like more weight in comparison.
TireRack does use a Hunter Road Force balancing machine, the standard and best.
Using too much weight looks bad cosmetically, but as long as the balance is smooth and the car runs smooth, it's all good.

I'm going back to exchange these Bridgestones for a different set of tires.
This time I will be checking the install and balancing before leaving cause I don't like seeing that many weights on the wheel.

Last edited by RPM90; 12-08-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #746
755MSL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

I can't seem to find the thread about the steering wheel buzzing that some people have been complaining about. I've recently started having it and I can only temporarily make it go away by pressing hard on top of the adjustable steering rack.
      12-09-2012, 03:00 AM   #747
kirklander
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F-10

I have had that problem along with steering wheel vibration and others. Believe or not, all of them are history and gone now. However, I am driving a 535 M sport instead of 335i sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #748
dc_bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I am very interested in your findings. My wheels/tires were road forced balanced, but there is still vibration. And no longer at a particular speed, but all the time. Allthough it is minor, is it still visible in the wheel and very annoying on the freeway.

Has anybody else have succes with the new rack, where balancing didn't help?
I can feel the vibration is other parts of the car two (doorhandle, arm rest). Will this disappear as well with the new rack?
Appreciate 0