F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > The $89 BMW performance spoiler on my EBII M sport
Studio RSR

05-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #221
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar_liendo View Post
arghh! I really want one! I dont know anybody in Atlanta who has a really good paint shop and i am not exactly sure how much would the Dealership charge me!

It would be great if you could take a picture whenever you are close to your car. If not, i will just order it and take it to the dealership :-/
It might be a bit hard to spot in the picture but it stands out A LOT in real life.
The spoiler is a darker color and also doesn't have the "shine" that the car has (it is not installed, I just put the spoiler on the trunk for the pic).

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #222
omar_liendo
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar_liendo View Post
arghh! I really want one! I dont know anybody in Atlanta who has a really good paint shop and i am not exactly sure how much would the Dealership charge me!

It would be great if you could take a picture whenever you are close to your car. If not, i will just order it and take it to the dealership :-/
It might be a bit hard to spot in the picture but it stands out A LOT in real life.
The spoiler is a darker color and also doesn't have the "shine" that the car has (it is not installed, I just put the spoiler on the trunk for the pic).

Yea, I actually can see the difference . I guess I will just wait until they get the color right OR... Get the black one... I am not a big fan of a black spoiler as I feel that the trunk should just flow...
Thank you for taking the time to take the picture and sharing.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #223
M3Hotness
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 xDrive40i Msport

Can someone PM what Ebay Seller they are using? I don't want to risk fitment and color going with the wrong seller. Thank you in advance!
      05-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #224
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Hotness
Can someone PM what Ebay Seller they are using? I don't want to risk fitment and color going with the wrong seller. Thank you in advance!
I too want to get the correct seller since there are a few out there. I have BSM so anyone that has ordered that particular color would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 03:54 AM   #225
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

I just ordered the carbon fiber version from a seller named "oem.thing". My hunch is that all the sellers might be purchasing the spoiler from the same manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #226
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Btw BMW states that the rear spoiler should only be applied in conjunction with the front splitter to preserve vehicle handling. I call this a Bull crap, but still wanted to get feedback from those of you who have installed this without a splitter. Is the handling affected, especially at high speeds like 120mph?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #227
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
Btw BMW states that the rear spoiler should only be applied in conjunction with the front splitter to preserve vehicle handling. I call this a Bull crap, but still wanted to get feedback from those of you who have installed this without a splitter. Is the handling affected, especially at high speeds like 120mph?
lol my cars been flying off sideways ever since i got my rear spoiler..

maybe i need the front splitter
      05-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #228
Lucky#slevin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30.ca View Post
Just installed my black lip on my AW sportline. Looks amazing. Even my wife likes it.
Can you please tell me what color code black you used to order your spoiler.. Does it match the black sport line accents exactly or closely? I have the same car and I am debating going with an alpine white spoiler or the black. I am leaning towards the black to match the sport line theme..
Also which seller did you use?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #229
EclipseDS
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ330FZL View Post
I too want to get the correct seller since there are a few out there. I have BSM so anyone that has ordered that particular color would be appreciated.
I have BSM and ordered mine from emotors2000. Color is spot on and fit is nice, just full of swirl so I had to polish it before installing. Not a big deal.

Hope I'm not violating anything:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-2013-PA...item53f89f642b
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #230
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseDS View Post
I have BSM and ordered mine from emotors2000. Color is spot on and fit is nice, just full of swirl so I had to polish it before installing. Not a big deal.

Hope I'm not violating anything:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-2013-PA...item53f89f642b
I also ordered my BSM spoiler from eBay user emotors2000. Mine was swirl free and spot on color-wise.

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #231
Jaguar
Mark 42
Rep
Drives: M

OEM:

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #232
cardnation
Güten Täg
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91 E30 & 13 F30

What do you guys think would look best on mineral grey, body color or jet black?

I'm completely torn.

1991 E30 318iC 5MT M20B25 swapped Vert Black - gone
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #233
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

Guys adding a rear spoiler no matter how small will affect the handling of the car. BMW advise the fitting of a front splitter to even out the downforce. Although given how small these are you would probably only notice at high speed. You will find the front end will be a lighter because of the spoiler in the rear as it will force the rear down causing the front end to lift slightly
      05-31-2013, 12:50 AM   #234
Lucky#slevin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardnation View Post
What do you guys think would look best on mineral grey, body color or jet black?

I'm completely torn.
Is jet black the appropriate color to match the sport line black? I have an alpine white and want black but just want to make sure this is correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #235
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH View Post
I bought the BMW OEM CF version with the car back in Sept for ~$500. The only consolation was that at that price I figured it won't be on everyone's car. Big mistake!
The only difference I can see is that the BMW CF weave is more subtle and matches M Performance interior bits - good if like me subtle is you intent, bad if you want everyone, including Grandma, to notices ;-)

One question: any hassle ordering direct from China. I've seen and heard horror stories...
True, the after market CF spoiler uses 2x2 twill weave pattern while OEM is 1x1 pattern. I just purchased a 2x2 pattern matching license plate holder too!

Shipping from taiwan was super fast. It arrived in 4 days. Product is not yet installed, but I'm really impressed with the quality (especially given that I spent just $150 for it).
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 03:02 AM   #236
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJAM View Post
Guys adding a rear spoiler no matter how small will affect the handling of the car. BMW advise the fitting of a front splitter to even out the downforce. Although given how small these are you would probably only notice at high speed. You will find the front end will be a lighter because of the spoiler in the rear as it will force the rear down causing the front end to lift slightly

Here is my hypothesis (I may be totally wrong on this though):

This may be actually perfect in the case of a 335i, since 335i has a bit of extra weight in the front, hopefully the spoiler will balance the weight out at higher speeds. Adding a front splitter will further increase the effective weight in the front which is not desirable.

Last edited by rallybull; 06-01-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #237
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkata View Post
Did you use the "Primer Adhesion Promoter" that came with the spoiler?

Does anybody have pics of the 3M on the spolier prior to fitting?

There is like an outer groove all the way round. Did you guys put the 3M tape on the groove or inside the groove?

Thanks

This is a good question. I'm thinking that we should put the 3M tape on the "inner" depressed area. That way the spoiler will not be "elevated" from the surface of the trunk.
On the other hand, not sure if the thickness of the tape will be enough if you put the tape on the inner depressed groove.... if you know what I mean !!

Those who have done the install... what did you'll do - tape goes on outer raised groove or inner depressed area??
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #238
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is a good question. I'm thinking that we should put the 3M tape on the "inner" depressed area. That way the spoiler will not be "elevated" from the surface of the trunk.
On the other hand, not sure if the thickness of the tape will be enough if you put the tape on the inner depressed groove.... if you know what I mean !!

Those who have done the install... what did you'll do - tape goes on outer raised groove or inner depressed area??

Ok I think I found the answer by trying it out myself ... the tapes go on the inner grooves.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #239
EclipseDS
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJAM View Post
It may affect the handling of the car but not because it will lift the front end. It's not like teeter totter where when one end goes up, the other goes down. If anything, I believe it will help the vehicle keep grounded. On RWD, the front is being pushed down when the car is in motion. The rear spoiler helps the car retain it's natural position - how much, I dunno.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #240
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseDS View Post
It may affect the handling of the car but not because it will lift the front end. It's not like teeter totter where when one end goes up, the other goes down. If anything, I believe it will help the vehicle keep grounded. On RWD, the front is being pushed down when the car is in motion. The rear spoiler helps the car retain it's natural position - how much, I dunno.
Um Eclipse have you ever seen what a rear wheel drive drag car does when accelerating? I think you will find the invention of wheelie bars is due to the front end lifting. Ever looked a F1 car? Although far more extreme again front aerodynamics because the front lifts. Lastly have a look at the top gear episode where they enter a e46 3series in a 24hr race. Again a front splitter was used to even out the rear spoiler. In fact it gets ripped off and the car begins to understeer. Why because of a rear spoiler and no front splitter. You might want to do some investigation on this. But again as I said these rear spoilers are rather small so unless you are going very fast you won't notice
      06-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #241
Balzz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2021 X3M  [0.00]
Please repeat after me: I am not driving a race car, nor am I am a racing driver capable of feeling the subtleties of aerodynamics driving to work and getting milk.

Disclaimer: does not apply if you are actually Bill Auberlen and do in fact race cars professionally.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #242
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Ok I think I found the answer by trying it out myself ... the tapes go on the inner grooves.
Yes... made that mistake the first time... You'll see the tape if you put it outside of the grooves.
Appreciate 0