F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > DS mode vs Eco Pro/Comfort/Sport/Sport+
proTUNING Freaks

01-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
DS mode vs Eco Pro/Comfort/Sport/Sport+

I've seen a couple of posts on this but none that have satisfactorily explained the differences.

So... what's the difference between putting the car in DS mode (shifter to the left) and putting it in Sport mode (button pushed up for sport). And what happens if you drive in both modes at the same time? Is there any further benefit or difference?

You can also shift into DS mode WHILE in any of the drive modes (EcoPro, Comfort, Sport, Sport+) What does DS mode in each of these modes?
      01-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome View Post
I've seen a couple of posts on this but none that have satisfactorily explained the differences.

So... what's the difference between putting the car in DS mode (shifter to the left) and putting it in Sport mode (button pushed up for sport). And what happens if you drive in both modes at the same time? Is there any further benefit or difference?

You can also shift into DS mode WHILE in any of the drive modes (EcoPro, Comfort, Sport, Sport+) What does DS mode in each of these modes?

DS mode does not change throttle mapping -- it only changes the transmission mapping AND defeats Auto-Start-Stop.

Eco Pro, Comfort, and Sport modes all have a default transmission mapping (eco, normal, or sport) plus a throttle mapping.

EcoPro + DS vs EcoPro: Higher shiftpoints, no ASS.

Comfort + DS vs Comfort: Higher shift points, no ASS.

Sport + DS vs Sport: no ASS.

Defeating ASS is probably the most useful part of being in DS + Sport mode vs just Sport mode. In fact on the ActiveHybrid models it's the only way of forcing the engine on (we don't have an ASS defeat button).
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
alexgosh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

they do the same thing. the advantage of pushing the lever to the left is that you can shift to different gears with the actual lever and not only with the paddle shifters. if you only switch the button to put it in sport you can not use the gear shift to change the gears, you can only use the paddle shifters to change gears. so they do in fact get the job done in the same way.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

They don't do the same thing. Sport/Sport+ also change steering feel, which is something that DS does not, amongst other things.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

My impression is that the driving modes (EP, C, S, S+) alter the chassis, transmission, throttle, engine response, steering and exhaust behavior, as well as suspension dampeners.

The D/S mode pertains strictly to the transmission software.

This is my understanding, and hopefully someone can correct me if i am wrong.

Disclaimer: my car is M-sport + VSS + DHP + sport auto
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
rs3tier
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

also, I am pretty sure pushing the lever to the left is the only way to engage manual gear selection. When it is in the default right position, the transmission automatically switches back to "D" after some time of moderate acceleration and/or moderate gear changes (not sure of exact parameters that control this)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs3tier View Post
When it is in the default right position, the transmission automatically switches back to "D" after some time of moderate acceleration and/or moderate gear changes (not sure of exact parameters that control this)
I've found it even switches back to D mode after a certain time not using manual mode.

Come join us in the Australian section of this forum, if you haven't already.
Cheers
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs3tier View Post
also, I am pretty sure pushing the lever to the left is the only way to engage manual gear selection.
If you have the flappy paddles, you can manually override at any setting.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0