F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Chrome Grills....disappointing
Extreme Powerhouse

05-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
doza88
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Chrome Grills....disappointing

so i recently got my f30 and upon pickup noticed that one of the chrome grills is bubbling!! for a $60k+ vehicle, i can't believe BMW is using such cheap materials... at least paint the things chrome if nothing else but cheap chrome film???

so i inform the dealer and they agreed to replace under warranty free of charge.
I picked up the vehicle and when i checked the new grill, i notice the other one is now bubbling!

now i have to schedule another visit for them to replace. This is unreal.

sorry for the rant but i hope this is where the "corner cutting" on cheap materials ends.

Has anyone else experienced this? if this is a common issue, i'm going to push for replacement with the black grills instead of hte chrome.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Haven't had any issues with my grills, but did notice the finish on the edge of one my exhaust tips is starting to deteriorate. I have the black tips as my car is a Sportline so it's pretty obvious when the tips are clean. Had the car over a year now so I'm debating if it's worth the effort to take it in to see if the warranty can do anything about it.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Speaking of Chrome, any recommendations on what type of chrome cleaner/polish I should be using?? I know not all polishers are same so any help would be appreciated. My car seems to have been dipped in chrome before they assembled it lol
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
doza88
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

your grills are dipped in chrome?
mine is like sticker!

for my exhaust pipes, which are actual chrome, i use rim cleaner and then a chrome polish. i find the polish makes it easier to clean in future instances.

i've read on the forum that people use all sorts of things to clean chrome: steel wool, barkeepers friend, brasso... i would think steel wool and barkeepers friend would scratch as they are abrasive, but i haven't tried it...

polish might work best for you as your grills are not actual chrome.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
F30JetsFan
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCCubs View Post
Haven't had any issues with my grills, but did notice the finish on the edge of one my exhaust tips is starting to deteriorate. I have the black tips as my car is a Sportline so it's pretty obvious when the tips are clean. Had the car over a year now so I'm debating if it's worth the effort to take it in to see if the warranty can do anything about it.
Active Autowerke stainless exhaust. I have one and you won't be disappointed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0