F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Best Fuel for 320D Efficient Dynamic
proTUNING Freaks

01-26-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
ZaheerUK
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D ED (F30)

Best Fuel for 320D Efficient Dynamic

Hello guys.
Just sold my Audi A4 s line and picked up an ex-Olympic BMW 320d ED. love it so far!!A quick question please.
Just wondering whether it would be worth using Shell V-Power Deisel to improve mpg.

Thank you in advance for your response.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Being mostly US dominated, I don't think you'll get a definitive answer. You might want to try the UK forum! But even then, I think you'll get mixed answers of yes and no.

Therefore, I think the best idea is to use a tank of regular diesel and then a tank of V-Power and see if there is a difference. Then do the sums yourself, plus any qualitative factors such as improved throttle response. Then you'll have your answer! I did try this in my old 330d and although the response was very marginally quicker, it wasn't enough to make me think twice about shelling (pun intended) the extra cash for V-Power. MPG was negligible. The cost was astronomical. But the 2009 N57 30d and 2012 N47 20d EfficientDynamics are two very different engines, so you may see greater improvement!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'm a 530d driver so an intruder here in the F30 forums!

I wondered the same and there is a lot of debate about using these premuim diesel fuels, you'll find plenty of debate about it by just googling.
here's a Fifth gear program that test them out

They find that the premium fuels DO increase the power of the engine. I would also assume that it might give a small advantage in fuel economy.

My opinion on the matter (and I'm not technical here) is that you'd probably get better economy by adjusting the style of your driving over a change in fuel. Given that the premuim fuel is more expensive, I'd say it probably cancels out.

I do however exclusively buy premuim diesel but for its supposed cleaning properties. I plan on keeping my car for something like 10 years and figures its probably worth doing that in the hope of fending off potential issues.
The Oil companies will state that that the fuel has additives to do this, they must be true to a point otherwise they would be liable under the trade descriptions act!

I don't buy it for any economy reasons as I just don't feel there is any real world advantage and we certianly can't measure it because every drive we have, will be different to the last, its not lab conditions.

I'd say if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, the perhaps premium may be worth using for the cleaning properties.

That's my view I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that disagree with me! Suggest just reading up as much as you can and make your mind up.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
ZaheerUK
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D ED (F30)

Thanks for the response guys. I usually change cars every 3/4 years but intend on keeping this little beauty for a bit longer. Certainly the idea of keeping the engine clean in the long run seems to be a reasonable reason to buy the V-Power not to mention the smoothness/throttle response. I ask this also because there seems to be no mention of 'recommended' fuel on the inside cap of the fuel tank. I intend to fill up 3/4 tank with V Power on my next fill up and will see how it goes. Will report back ASAP. Cheers guys!!
Appreciate 0