F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Must-have features?
ARMA SPEED

11-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #23
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

If you want a sporty drive then definitely
1. Adaptive m suspension (minimise body roll w max comfort)
2. Sports seats (or opt for sportsline which has these). You will need the bolster support

My personal preferences
1. Sunroof - brightens up the cabin and adds the feeling of luxury. It is practical in warm climates as a fast way of cooling without aircon. I dont like winding windows all the way down as the buffeting is too noisy and dries my eyes
2. Park assist - in case someone else other than me is driving the car such as gf, parents. Mitigates against kerb scraping.

I have chosen the heated seats but now debating their worth. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #24
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAX
xDrive
Xenons (though included with 335)
Sunroof (though included with 335)
Navigation
Seated Heats
Harman Kardon
Enhanced Bluetooth
M Package Steering Wheel (any wheel but the standard one!)

Satellite Radio (despite its increasing decay in fidelity, and as much as I hate to admit it, I have to have it.)-
Sport auto transmission
Xenons
USB with enhanced Bluetooth
Satellite radio
Sport seats with lumbar support and side bolsters (the standard 335i sportline seats)

I agree with the satellite radio. It's terrible, but a necessary evil. The sound quality is dreadful. Remember when they were marketing it as "CD quality" when it first came out. HD radio is awesome if only satellite could do this somehow.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #25
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
In the end its all personal, but here's my list. I'm forgetting about package-budnles here and just putting down what I found compelling. Its in order but not perfectly so.

1. 335
2. xDrive
3. VSS
3. Navigation
4. Xenon/adaptive headlights/auto brights
5. All iPhone stuff
6. Heated front seats
7. M Steering wheel
8. Wood on dash
9. no-Leather
Is it an automatic? If so you're missing the Sport Auto! Must-have option.
      11-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #26
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

Options

335i
M-Sport in EBII
M5 Replica Wheels (I know it is not OEM)
M-Performance Brakes
Dynamic Suspension
H&R Sport Springs
Sport AT with Floppy Paddles
Venetian Beige Leather
Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #27
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

this is all i thought was essential when i ordered my 328i , didn't think anything else was really worth spending money that could be spent on other things non car related

m-sport
sport auto
xenons
estoril blue paint (ok maybe this one is not a must have...)
and i'll activate sirius since i probably couldn't drive a car without it at this point (i've had XM or sirius since 2005...)

i actually want leatherette (leather in my audi is kind of warped after 3 years, and itll be similar quality "dakota" in the 3) , i never use a sunroof (had it in my last 2 cars), dont care about adaptive suspension since im fine with sport all the time, dont care about nav (android phone is probably better at entering destination to begin with), dont care about all the tech doodads like parking / rear view. didnt think h&k sounded much better than stock (and i listen to mostly sirius anyway which is low bitrate..)

i did sort of want the HUD just for the cool factor, but can't get it seperate from nav... so that was the one thing
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #28
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

Must Have
1. Tech package
2. Sports Auto
3. M sport 19 inch wheel
4. DHP

I didn't get the third and fourth, cuz my wife wants the back up camera and PDC.
      11-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #29
Digtlartst
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328xi 6MT Alpinweiss

Garage List
1 - 6MT
2 - X-Drive
3 - Sunroof
4 - Heated seats
5 - Leather
6 - Satellite radio
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #30
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdither View Post
Is it an automatic? If so you're missing the Sport Auto! Must-have option.
Right, missed it above but not on the order!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #31
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Xenons
Lumbar
Heated Seats
Harmon Kardon
Auto
Diesel
      11-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #32
BMoutlaW
Team Blop
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-sport

1. M sport line +
2. 6 speed +
3. Lighting package +
4. Track package +

= GAMEOVER
      11-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #33
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH

335 - Got to have the straight 6 in my BMW.
xDrive - I love AWD, I'll never do without it again.
DHP - If you care about handling and are getting an xDrive this is a must-buy. Reminder: your xDrive Sport or M Sport doesn't get the sport suspension! And it's only $1,000.
6MT - I do not like automatics at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #34
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm soooo jealous that you guys get xDrive over there. Woulda bought it in a second if it was any other engine than the 320i. I mean which idiot at BMW headquarters said English people who want 4WD want crappy, wheezy little engines?
      11-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #35
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
I'm soooo jealous that you guys get xDrive over there. Woulda bought it in a second if it was any other engine than the 320i. I mean which idiot at BMW headquarters said English people who want 4WD want crappy, wheezy little engines?
Yeah, but we're also denied other random options other markets get like M Sport brakes. There seems to be no pattern to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #36
EB_F30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' M Sport 335 6MT

Hello everyone, new guy here, about to place my order next week. Looking for a little advice.

1. On the Dynamic Handling Pkg, what is this? What all does it do. I'm already getting the M Sport Line, and handling is a must for me. I don't mind dropping another 1k...I push my cars hard and want everything I can get out of them.

2. I'm also getting the Harman Kardon upgrade. I love a good stereo, for those that have it would you agree it is truly a great upgrade? I've only heard the stock on the 335 I test drove - which sounded fantastic!

3. The Navi upgrade, I'm going back and forth on this. Also back and fourht on the Tech pkg cause the HUD is a nice feature. Why they hell would they not just make the HUD a separate option...? I'd get it if it was. I want the Navi it but at $2150, that's just ridiculous. From what I've read above seems like a nice thing to have but most really don't even use it. I'm in Italy so I use GPS when I travel and would prefer to not have my Tom Tom mounted on my new 335 but again...the $2150 would be cash flow on some M Performance upgrades.

Thanks and can't wait to get my 335.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #37
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB_F30 View Post
1. On the Dynamic Handling Pkg, what is this? What all does it do. I'm already getting the M Sport Line, and handling is a must for me. I don't mind dropping another 1k...I push my cars hard and want everything I can get out of them.
In the US it is Adaptive Suspension and Variable Sport Steering. I can just barely notice the adaptive suspension and how it gets firmer in sport mode and softer in comfort. It's a pretty subtle difference really. The real star of this package is the Variable Sport Steering which really makes the steering feel dramatically better than the standard steering in Sport Mode. Makes the package worth it. If you're getting an Automatic make sure to also add on the Sport Auto.

Quote:
2. I'm also getting the Harman Kardon upgrade. I love a good stereo, for those that have it would you agree it is truly a great upgrade? I've only heard the stock on the 335 I test drove - which sounded fantastic!
I found the HK to be a big improvement. But then I didn't find the stock system to be anywhere close to fantastic sounding so if you think the stock system sounds good then you might be fine with that.

Quote:
3. The Navi upgrade, I'm going back and forth on this. Also back and fourht on the Tech pkg cause the HUD is a nice feature. Why they hell would they not just make the HUD a separate option...? I'd get it if it was. I want the Navi it but at $2150, that's just ridiculous. From what I've read above seems like a nice thing to have but most really don't even use it. I'm in Italy so I use GPS when I travel and would prefer to not have my Tom Tom mounted on my new 335 but again...the $2150 would be cash flow on some M Performance upgrades.
The screen that comes with the Nav really makes the car look a lot better. I was not a fan of the screen that comes with the car, was kinda cheap looking IMO. The Navi is very nice to have built into the car and combined with the HUD it's a nice option, overpriced probably, but right at what Navigation systems have cost in cars for eternity basically.
      11-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #38
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

Quote:
Hello everyone, new guy here, about to place my order next week. Looking for a little advice.

Thanks and can't wait to get my 335.
I have numbers 2 and 3 and they are really good, the sound system is really good very loude, any louder than HK and i think you would need hearing aid in a year, the tech package is cool, it really sets the car a part, it makes it look fancy, the non nav screen looks like it came from honda plus the bottom of your gauges for fuel will be analog without the tech package, i do agree with you that the hud is a really cool feature and i like it a lot. The car would look better without the non-nav screen than with it
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #39
EB_F30
First Lieutenant
Rep

All great info, thanks. I'm going to do some more reading/research on the DH pkg but it sounds like a must for someone like me that really loves the performance aspect of these cars. I'd be getting a US spec car too, I'm Air Force stationed here. I've been in Italy about 7 months and there are some awesome roads here also just got back from Germany and I can't wait to take the 335 through those roads!

No auto for me but thanks for the heads up and thanks again for the good info.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #40
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdither View Post
The real star of this package is the Variable Sport Steering which really makes the steering feel dramatically better than the standard steering in Sport Mode.
I thought it was fairly well established that VSS does nothing to the steering that servotronic doesn't do in terms of "feel" and weight. And since servotronic is standard on nearly every model then VSS becomes irrelevant and a bit of a gay option for men to choose since it's just to help women park is all - nothing to do with driving at normal speeds. I wonder how many men would have chosen it if they'd known it was just a faster steering rack over 100* of lock to help parking?
      11-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #41
EB_F30
First Lieutenant
Rep

yup...I definitely have some reading to do. I don't need a fancy parking assist deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #42
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Talk to your dealer. there's a lot of conflicting info on this forum about VSS. It took me about two weeks before I finally decided I understood what it was and I asked two dealers. In the end, I opted for the adaptive suspension but not the VSS But find out for yourself exactly what the options do because the website is crap and tells you nothing and many dealers know less than your average enthusiast. Did anyone know how amazing the high beam assistant is before someone posted "OMG it's epic!"? I never read any literature that told you how clever it was and how it's revolutionary compared to previous high beam assists. I'm only lucky I got that because I added the visibility pack and it's part of it. had I not ordered it and then found out what it did, I'd have been pissed
      11-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #43
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

If it's a US spec car you can't get the Adaptive M suspension separately. You have to get the Dynamic Handling Package which includes the Variable Sport Steering.

And it's "gay"? Seriously? What are you, 13 years old?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #44
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

All of them!
Appreciate 0