F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > I'm cautiously optimistic...
proTUNING Freaks

01-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive GC

I'm cautiously optimistic...

So I just got off the phone with a BMW case manager talking about how my car is going in for repair #5 and #7 for two persisting issues next week. They're going to reach out to the dealer to ensure the management is aware of the situation and we also discussed possible solutions should they not be able to completely rectify the issue after this visit.

Under colorado law I am legally within rights to claim a lemon as the requirement is 4 attempts at fixing an issue within the first year of ownership or cumulatively more than 30 days of repair.

I'm cautiously optimistic that hopefully either my car is fixed (in a reasonable amount of time), or we can reach another agreement quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
icwhatudidthere
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

Sounds like you're willing to let them fix it, but if not, and you're already within rights to claim it as a lemon, you should legally notify them that that's an option.

I went through this with Honda many years ago. Once they got the legal notice that we were well within lemon law territory, they flew a Honda engineer out from Japan, offered 5 years of prepaid maintenance or the option to trade the car (Civic) for any other new Civic on the lot. Basically anything to keep the car from declared a lemon.

They ended up finding a design flaw and I ended up in a higher end car for the same payments.

Either way, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icwhatudidthere View Post
Sounds like you're willing to let them fix it, but if not, and you're already within rights to claim it as a lemon, you should legally notify them that that's an option.

I went through this with Honda many years ago. Once they got the legal notice that we were well within lemon law territory, they flew a Honda engineer out from Japan, offered 5 years of prepaid maintenance or the option to trade the car (Civic) for any other new Civic on the lot. Basically anything to keep the car from declared a lemon.

They ended up finding a design flaw and I ended up in a higher end car for the same payments.

Either way, good luck!
I'm not really sure what to do tbh. I am within the limits to claim a lemon and honestly I don't even really want this car anymore, I've had so many issues with it. I did inform the case manager of the situation and he said I should let them try to fix one more time. I'm going to inform the service manager that there is a very real possibility of me filing a complaint with the colorado auto division while they work on my car again and just see what he says.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
Slickz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4

Just curious, German or SA build?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #5
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

German
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 10:58 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadify View Post
I'm not really sure what to do tbh. I am within the limits to claim a lemon and honestly I don't even really want this car anymore, I've had so many issues with it. I did inform the case manager of the situation and he said I should let them try to fix one more time. I'm going to inform the service manager that there is a very real possibility of me filing a complaint with the colorado auto division while they work on my car again and just see what he says.
Multiple attempts to correct the same issue point to the fact that the root cause is unknown. Unfortunately, BMWNA (and the same is true for other manufacturers) begins to work with your local dealer by authorizing the replacement of a wider array of parts - essential trial and error.

I suggest to replace the vehicle. You will ultimately feel better about having a vehicle which isn't the source of frustrations.
Appreciate 2
kadify169.00
jeffc83722.00
      01-18-2017, 11:28 PM   #7
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Multiple attempts to correct the same issue point to the fact that the root cause is unknown. Unfortunately, BMWNA (and the same is true for other manufacturers) begins to work with your local dealer by authorizing the replacement of a wider array of parts - essential trial and error.

I suggest to replace the vehicle. You will ultimately feel better about having a vehicle which isn't the source of frustrations.
100% correct. And what I would like is for them to replace the car but, I don't know how to ask them to do that prior to them trying again to fix the issue. Do I go up to the service manager and tell them that no I don't want to wait for them to try and fix the car again and that I want to start the process of lemoning the car?

I mean at this point they've repaired so many things they're at probably around $3-4k in just replacement parts (per ECStuning and getbmwparts).
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 12:39 AM   #8
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
So I just got off the phone with a BMW case manager talking about how my car is going in for repair #5 and #7 for two persisting issues next week. They're going to reach out to the dealer to ensure the management is aware of the situation and we also discussed possible solutions should they not be able to completely rectify the issue after this visit.

Under colorado law I am legally within rights to claim a lemon as the requirement is 4 attempts at fixing an issue within the first year of ownership or cumulatively more than 30 days of repair.

I'm cautiously optimistic that hopefully either my car is fixed (in a reasonable amount of time), or we can reach another agreement quickly.
Really need to know what the issues are. Not everything qualifies for Lemon Law, depending on state.

In Colorado it has to "substantially impair use".

You should find how to notify of the Stat's lemon law info in a packet received when you did paperwork. Should also be available from State.

Looking at your posts for the last 60 days the 2 complaints are your USB port dying and a rattle. These do not qualify under Colorado Law for reasons in bold above.

If you have something more serious, let us know.

Good luck.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...R%202440_0.pdf

EDIT: I knew this sounded familiar.

Please ignore my advice as you already called me insane in your previous thread concerning this from early October. Seems the others in the thread who didn't agree with me then failed to solve your Lemon Law Problem. You just didn't like what I told you. Oh well. 110 days later and nothing's changed.

I might be insane, but out of Time Travelling Curosity, how are you now eligible to file under the Colorado Lemon Law when you admitted 3.5 months ago the 12 months had already expired, so you were no longer eligible?

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1312160

Last edited by Kabrich; 01-19-2017 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2017, 12:59 AM   #9
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

The USB issue is linked to an entire system electronics failure involving at least the entire iDrive system, backup camera, Bluetooth system, USB port and backup sensors. I'll have to go through my papers and see what I can find from when I got the car.

EDIT: though I'm not a lawyer nor do I pretend to know what I'm talking about when it comes to law so maybe this isn't enough to constitute a substantial safety risk. I had assumed so since it impacts safety features of the car.

Last edited by kadify; 01-19-2017 at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #10
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Early in the life of this 2014 F30, I had repeated issues with the transmission. They tried replacing the major part of the tranny (mechatronics) then eventually replaced the entire transmission. Total of 21 days in the shop for same issue. This is 1 day over lemon law status in my state.

I was very frustrated, but determined not to be an asshole about it. I also opened a case with BMWNA, and was wanting to get a different car. BMWNA and the local dealer were very accommodating; in the end I decided to keep the car and BMWNA helped "soften the pain". PM me if you'd like the details.

My advice: BMW wants you to be happy. Keep working with them to find a mutually acceptable agreement.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

My car is in for diagnosis and repair. I guess we'll see what comes of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #12
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

UPDATE: Well I got a call that everything was fixed and went to get my car and they wanted me to talk to a tech and have them show me that the car was fixed and we both got in the car and the car had the EXACT SAME ISSUE as when I dropped it off. The tech said that was the first time he'd seen any sort of issue. So they created a puma case and got me in another loaner for the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 11:35 PM   #13
MuffinMan910
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i xDrive mSport

My e90 had a puma case created due to a persisting check engine code. After the 4th visit it was fixed once and for all... cracked cylinder head and worn piston were the culprits.

My 4th visit was actually conducted after warranty but my dealership didn't charge me for the repair due to their inability to fix the issue the first 3 times (parts+22hrs labour... so good on the dealership)

All was resolved thanks to the puma. Hopefully it'll work for you too OP
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #14
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I suppose we shall see. I'm glad they've escalated it though.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 01:16 AM   #15
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Nothing is better than going in the dealer for the second, third or fourth or fifth time and they proudly come out to show you they finally fixed it . . . just for the issue to happen again five minutes later.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
kadify169.00
      01-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #16
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Nothing is better than going in the dealer for the second, third or fourth or fifth time and they proudly come out to show you they finally fixed it . . . just for the issue to happen again five minutes later.

Good luck.
100% true but at least they saw it with their own eyes this time! I'm just happy now that I don't have to show them my crappy pics taken while driving. Now they know exactly what happens.

In other news, they put me in a fairly well loaded x3 and I have to say I love this car!!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #17
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Good to hear they're making progress. What exactly is the problem? Something to do with USB?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 07:58 PM   #18
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

The actual problem is the entire idrive previously had an issue with shutting off completely. They fixed this by replacing the head unit. However I've also had issues with the bluetooth and USB working properly, and on occasion when both of these stop working, the rear backup camera also stops working, however the common thread between these three things is the idrive, which since they replaced the headunit, works fine. The dealership isn't sure what else they could fix that is a common component for all three of these systems, which is why they made a PuMA case.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #19
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

Well just got my car back last night and on the drive home had issues with USB again. Also the rattle they've been trying to fix since october, they somehow manager to make worse............
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #20
dkirsch78
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Competition Package

Quote:
Well just got my car back last night and on the drive home had issues with USB again. Also the rattle they've been trying to fix since october, they somehow manager to make worse............
Did they by chance wax the car? I had rattles and squeaks coming from the doors, and it turned out the seals had wax on them. When they cleaned them up, problem was solved.

Sucks about your situation, man - good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 06:55 PM   #21
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirsch78 View Post
Did they by chance wax the car? I had rattles and squeaks coming from the doors, and it turned out the seals had wax on them. When they cleaned them up, problem was solved.

Sucks about your situation, man - good luck.
I don't think so. I know they washed the car off but don't think they did anything beyond that. There are water spots everywhere.

And no it's coming from the rear hatch, which was something they thought they fixed by adjusting the bump stops but apparently not.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #22
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

Well just got a call from the case manager after 2 weeks of them reviewing my case and.... They're not willing to offer ANYTHING...

The case manager said "that at this point they [Regional Managers] weren't willing to do anything" (his exact wording) so I guess now I'm going to go through the actual lemon process and I'll possibly be contacting an attorney. I honestly can't believe with the issues I've had that they aren't willing to do a single thing. They weren't even willing to provide me a contact in case I have future issues=/

It's too bad they did this because I don't know if I'll be buying another BMW after this. And my dad, who was looking into getting an X5 in the next few months, has decided he doesn't want to deal with the reliability issues if something comes up with that car since BMWNA obviously won't do anything to help.
Appreciate 0