F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > THEY'VE DONE IT - Tuning F Series with NO DME Unlock Required!
GetBMWParts

12-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #1
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Exclamation THEY'VE DONE IT - Tuning F Series with NO DME Unlock Required!

Hi all,

With the recent news the they've found a way to tune the F Series ECUs via OBD-II with no DME Unlock required, I thought it would be a great opportunity to made a video explaining all the various different approaches to increasing engine performance via Piggyback systems like JB4, and Custom Flash methods.

Think of this an all emcompassing guide to everything you should know before you choose how you'd like to go about tuning your car.

Details are scarce regarding this new flashing method, but what we know is it's done via OBD-II, and it doesn't require the ECU/DME to be removed front he car to be unlocked like previous methods required.

My guess is it will be a while before we see tuning suites developed for this new method, but this is BIG EXCITING NEWS for us all!
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2017, 12:59 AM   #2
YR430D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 430D

Just saw the video on YouTube. This is great news.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 01:41 AM   #3
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR430D View Post
Just saw the video on YouTube. This is great news.
Yep I'm so glad I waited! I've been wanting to tune my car so badly but didn't want the DME opened up. Hopefully there are some tuning suites available using this method locally soon, but I think it will take a while for tuners to establish quality base maps, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted Autos View Post
Yep I'm so glad I waited! I've been wanting to tune my car so badly but didn't want the DME opened up. Hopefully there are some tuning suites available using this method locally soon, but I think it will take a while for tuners to establish quality base maps, etc.
Where are you located mate?

I too am hoping local shops here in Melbourne will offer this unlock. As of now, I was quoted over $1k just for a DME unlock using the old bench-flash method.

Hoping this will drive the unlock price down considerably. After that, a bootmod or upcoming MHD F-series flash would be the way to go...map away at will yourself.
435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

I got mine done for $150. You are getting ripped off.

This is worth copying here a well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
From what I've heard so far, the obd unlocker is an option but removing the DME and unlocking that way is still more ideal. You most probably will trip the tamper code by unlocking with the tool, and you apparently still have a max flash counter as the tool does not get around that. From what I hear, you have no original backup of your DME file, and if you trip the max flash counter, It will brick the DME or something like that, and it also will not do a full read of the DME.

PTF will wait till they see more tests and confirmations that it's a good option before they employ it themselves.

If people think it works, someone should buy it and test it for us the shop that released the tool specifically said their tool can only read open files and not encrypted ones.
Additionally, MissionPerformance isn't going to be licensing the technology out so you have to go through them for a tune.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Commando View Post
Where are you located mate?

I too am hoping local shops here in Melbourne will offer this unlock. As of now, I was quoted over $1k just for a DME unlock using the old bench-flash method.

Hoping this will drive the unlock price down considerably. After that, a bootmod or upcoming MHD F-series flash would be the way to go...map away at will yourself.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids

Last edited by JaredG_F30; 12-07-2017 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post

I got mine done for $150. You are getting ripped off.
Also the people don't know that the tamper code will appear with a high probability. It also does not bypass the flash counter so if you flash and max out your flash counter....#ripdme

You're also limited to the tuner as you have to use their flash.
      12-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
welcome to BMW now voiding any warranty with your vehicle.. They must just love it when people due this... if you want more performance, why didn't you just buy the next level up in vehicle.. full warranty and been properly designed by a TEAM of engineers with world class testing facilities, which I dare say, NO tunining team has anything near as good as. but your money......
Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00
      12-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #8
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher View Post
welcome to BMW now voiding any warranty with your vehicle.. They must just love it when people due this... if you want more performance, why didn't you just buy the next level up in vehicle.. full warranty and been properly designed by a TEAM of engineers with world class testing facilities, which I dare say, NO tunining team has anything near as good as. but your money......
You the type of person that would buy a box of legos, and only build what they showed on the front cover..... right?

Appreciate 11
      12-08-2017, 01:08 AM   #9
enemigo13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 LCI 440xi citrineblack

misinformation again and not first time about tampering code )) its 201101 fault code and removed in the same way as removing "catalyst efficiency too low", "MAF too high" and any other code. So, please stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Also the people don't know that the tamper code will appear with a high probability. It also does not bypass the flash counter so if you flash and max out your flash counter....#ripdme

You're also limited to the tuner as you have to use their flash.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 02:06 AM   #10
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep

I spoke to one of the tuners spearheading this today.

Some points of note....
1. There is a flash counter of 60 which counts down to 0
2. Once the counter reaches 0, the DME has to be removed and K-Tag flashed to reset back to 60.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      12-08-2017, 02:19 AM   #11
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep

Quote:
1. I bought mine 2nd hand for $57kAUD - "Just buying the next model up" (M2) would have cost me $120k. Tell me more about how risking a $500 component is a bad financial decision in this scenario.

2. "BMW Voiding any warranty with your vehicle" is absolute nonsense. In order for them to void warranty, they have to be able to prove that the modifications contributed to the fault.

3. You must be great fun at parties.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2017, 03:21 AM   #12
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:

Some points of note....
2. Once the counter reaches 0, the DME has to be removed and K-Tag flashed to reset back to 60.
proTUNING Freaks How many times haw you reset your counter? Must be a lot
FSociety3812.50
      12-08-2017, 04:54 AM   #13
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
misinformation again and not first time about tampering code )) its 201101 fault code and removed in the same way as removing "catalyst efficiency too low", "MAF too high" and any other code. So, please stop.
Hey, if you want to max your flash counter or brick your dme it's your call. It's cheap and safe enough to remove and unlock physically and you never have to do it again.
      12-08-2017, 07:57 AM   #14
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
+1.

Cost of M3 < cost of F30 + cost of mods + cost of replacement engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 10:32 AM   #15
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:

Some points of note....
There was a time when people said there was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY you could flash the newer gen DME's and now here we are. Considering this, don't you think it's possible that the tuners can likely address the flash counter issue just as well? Never say never.

Last edited by XutvJet; 12-08-2017 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #16
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
2. "BMW Voiding any warranty with your vehicle" is absolute nonsense. In order for them to void warranty, they have to be able to prove that the modifications contributed to the fault.
LOL. See how that argument goes with BMW if your car breaks with aftermarket performance parts.

BMW can most certainly deny warranty work when you've modified the DME or any other powertrain system so that your car operates outside of BMW specs and while using non-approved parts. The aftermarket parts laws are designed to protect consumers that use OEM-like parts, NOT those parts that increase performance outside of manufacturer. If BMW see evidence of aftermarket parts, they are well within their right to deny coverage. They are not in the business nor required to provide warranty coverage to support your personal race program.

It would be on YOU to prove without a doubt that the aftermarket parts did not contribute to the failure. In order to do that, you'd likely need to acquire a lawyer and go to arbitration or worse, sue. That becomes quite the lengthy and expensive process. BMW and every other automaket has a very large legal team at their disposal to address things like this. They have the time and money whereas more consumers do not. Modifying the DME and proving that the modification didn't cause harm would be damn near impossible considering the power to be gained and the control the DME has over most every powertrain system. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #17
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think you are missing the point. Enthusiasts love to mod cars. It could be an old ass Nissan 240sx or new M3 and I would mod both. Hell the last time I was at Auto Talent in LA there was a brand new Merc GTS getting catless downpipes and tune, a Nissan GTR making close to 1,000 whp and a few Ferrari's and Lamob's getting who knows what. Just because you buy a fast car off the lot doesn't mean it will cure the mod bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
+1.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      12-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #18
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This is why you need to be upfront with your BMW Service Advisor and find a service center that is mod friendly. I recently had to have my oil pan gasket and oil housing gasket replaced under warranty, as well as new rear pads and rotors replaced under the BMW Ultimate Care+ maintenance plan. The SA new I had made major modifications to the care and assured me the car would not be flash upgraded as I would lose my tune as well as custom coding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
LOL. See how that argument goes with BMW if your car breaks with aftermarket performance parts.

BMW can most certainly deny warranty work when you've modified the DME or any other powertrain system so that your car operates outside of BMW specs and while using non-approved parts. The aftermarket parts laws are designed to protect consumers that use OEM-like parts, NOT those parts that increase performance outside of manufacturer. If BMW see evidence of aftermarket parts, they are well within their right to deny coverage. They are not in the business nor required to provide warranty coverage to support your personal race program.

It would be on YOU to prove without a doubt that the aftermarket parts did not contribute to the failure. In order to do that, you'd likely need to acquire a lawyer and go to arbitration or worse, sue. That becomes quite the lengthy and expensive process. BMW and every other automaket has a very large legal team at their disposal to address things like this. They have the time and money whereas more consumers do not. Modifying the DME and proving that the modification didn't cause harm would be damn near impossible considering the power to be gained and the control the DME has over most every powertrain system. Good luck.

SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #19
VT-man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
+1.

Cost of M3< cost of F30 + cost of mods + cost of replacement engine < cost of M3 + cost of mods + cost of replacement engine and m3 maintenance

Car enthusiast does not leave their car 100% stock.
If they do, they are not car enthusiasts.
      12-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #20
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I seriously doubt anyone jumping into the modding scene "blindly". I never wanted my BMW to look like Joe Shmo in the next lane anyway. I dreaded pulling out the DME this whole time, but looking forward to the new method! GOOD TIMES AHEAD!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #21
SLVRsurfr_32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
You the type of person that would buy a box of legos, and only build what they showed on the front cover..... right?

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #22
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
This is why you need to be upfront with your BMW Service Advisor and find a service center that is mod friendly. I recently had to have my oil pan gasket and oil housing gasket replaced under warranty, as well as new rear pads and rotors replaced under the BMW Ultimate Care+ maintenance plan. The SA new I had made major modifications to the care and assured me the car would not be flash upgraded as I would lose my tune as well as custom coding.
Your SA has very little say if something more significant on the powertrain breaks. For many more standard, cheaper warranty repairs, BMW doesn't ask questions. When it comes to expensive engine and transmission repairs, BMW may ask the SA to look for mods before approving the repair. The SA can't lie about what's on your car and BMW is the one paying for the tech's time, shop supplies, and parts. You can be assured that if BMW inquires about mods on your car, the likelihood of an powertrain warranty repair diminishes significantly.

I would NEVER recommend that someone voluntarily tell a SA about the mods unless specifically asked.
Appreciate 0