F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 on its way, iPhone sync question
ARMA SPEED

04-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
F30 on its way, iPhone sync question

I purchased a F30 today and got the premium package thrown in and paid the base model price which is a good deal. One thing I just noticed is that I don't have the BMW Apps package.

If I don't have that package, will I still be able to sync my iPhone playlist to the car through bluetooth? I'm hoping some of the current owners can answer my question.

If I want that added in the future, is there any way to retrofit it while the car is on lease?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
chip2058
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sportline

Garage List
Did you get the option that is Assist + Enhanced USB/BT? If so you're all set. Otherwise you'll be able to do basic phone functions through bluetooth and you can plug your ipod into the armrest USB and use it fine. Without enhanced USB/BT you can't stream.

BMW Apps is not retrofitable and Enhanced Bluetooth/USB would be expensive to because you would need both a combobox and and FSC code.

Cheers on the new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for clearing that up. I had another look at my car's specs and I don't think I have that option. So with the regular USB integration, I can still see the songs on the iDrive screen and also use the phone as a hands free, right?

Since I have the premium package, will I be able to store songs on the hard drive?

I can't wait until I get the car, it's going to be a long two weeks!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Kronk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. I had another look at my car's specs and I don't think I have that option. So with the regular USB integration, I can still see the songs on the iDrive screen and also use the phone as a hands free, right?

Since I have the premium package, will I be able to store songs on the hard drive?

I can't wait until I get the car, it's going to be a long two weeks!
Hard drive only comes with the tech package. With your specs you should be able to access your music with a Y-cable (not a standard iPod USB cable). You will also have handsfree bluetooth access for calls.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
chip2058
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sportline

Garage List
Correct, the only thing you won't be able to do is see the Album Art. Which is kind of blurry anyway and not a huge loss. You should still be able to search your device for music and if you start an internet radio app from your iPhone it should work through the cable along with the forward (and back where applicable) buttons.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohal View Post
Hard drive only comes with the tech package. With your specs you should be able to access your music with a Y-cable (not a standard iPod USB cable). You will also have handsfree bluetooth access for calls.
We different packages in Canada so our premium package has the navigation system, park distance control, through loading system, comfort access and alarm system. I'm thinking you just need the 8.8" screen + Navi for the Hard Drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohal View Post
We different packages in Canada so our premium package has the navigation system, park distance control, through loading system, comfort access and alarm system. I'm thinking you just need the 8.8" screen + Navi for the Hard Drive.
Which dealer did you go to? How much r u paying per month?

Congrats bud. The next couple of weeks are going to be looooonnnnngggggg...
      04-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip2058 View Post
Correct, the only thing you won't be able to do is see the Album Art. Which is kind of blurry anyway and not a huge loss. You should still be able to search your device for music and if you start an internet radio app from your iPhone it should work through the cable along with the forward (and back where applicable) buttons.
Without paying for the iphone dock in the enter console (so, if you use a Y cable) can you use the idrive wheel to scrool songs?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
Kronk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Didn't notice you're in Canada. You're right. In that case, you do have the hard drive for music storage.

I'm from Vancouver originally and recently moved to Seattle. Test drove the 3 in Vancouver and couldn't believe how expensive the Canadian pricing was. Good job on getting premium thrown in, makes it a lot more reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post

I went to BMW Autohaus by steeles and Bathurst. With my E90 trade in, I'm paying $487.65 a month on a 48 month lease and that includes tax, PDI, freight and excess wear and tear package.

Yep, I can't wait!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip2058 View Post
What else can I do with the standard USB? Will I be able to use the BMW connected app at all? I know Facebook, twitter and internet radio are out of the question.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #12
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post

I went to BMW Autohaus by steeles and Bathurst. With my E90 trade in, I'm paying $487.65 a month on a 48 month lease and that includes tax, PDI, freight and excess wear and tear package.

Yep, I can't wait!!!
So what line did you go for? The only option you went with was the Premium Package?

Your lease seems like a good deal. What was your total drive away cost (downpayment)?
      04-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #13
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

What would enhanced Bluetooth/USB give me if I chose that one without navigation? Better functionality through the USB contact? Streaming over BT? Or is it useless without smartphone integration/dock.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #14
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds
Without paying for the iphone dock in the enter console (so, if you use a Y cable) can you use the idrive wheel to scrool songs?
I seriously hope so or I'm going to be very upset! Can someone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
kiforrest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Yes! But integration is a lot better with app integration in terms of playlists etc

BMW F30 320ed. Pro Media, Visibility, VDC, 8 speed sports auto, BMW IPhone integration

BMW 130i- Fully loaded

Last edited by kiforrest; 04-15-2012 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Does anyone know if I'll be able to use the BMW remote app on my F30? I believe all you need is BMW assist which is free for one year.

It'd be nice if I'm able to send addresses from my phone to the car's navigation.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #17
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Yeh if you have BMW assist then you can use the MyBMW remote app. I thought it was free for 4 years or is it different in canada?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Yeh if you have BMW assist then you can use the MyBMW remote app. I thought it was free for 4 years or is it different in canada?
Ok nevermind. I was under the impression that having the premium package would give me BMW Assist but it looks like it's a different package by itself.

So from my understanding, I will be able to do the following with the standard USB port without BMW Assist and BMW Apps.

- Sync iPhone through Y cable and see songs on dashboard, change tracks through the steering wheel (No artwork)
- Receive and make calls (not sure if contact list will show up)

Am I missing anything else? It'd be nice if I can just use a computer or my iPhone to import a saved address to the iDrive.
Appreciate 0