F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Minor Improvements for Future F30 Model Years and Refresh
GetBMWParts

01-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
martyg
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

Minor Improvements for Future F30 Model Years and Refresh

Here are some of the things that I think BMW should focus on for improvements for the F30 for the next few years and for their mid-cycle refresh. These are not major changes, but ergonomic design flaws that could be fairly easily fixed. Have a look at them, and add your own suggestions.

Auto Start-Stop
• Put the ASS disabled indicator light in the instrument cluster (the driver's view is obscured by the wiper stalk and steering wheel).
• Thankfully, other improvements have already appeared in the 2014 models: e.g. smoother engine on-off and “last setting hold” when you restart your car.

Wipers:
• Rain sensors work well however, you need better speed control for the intermittent setting.
• Wiper on light at the end of the stalk is partly obscured by steering wheel.

Turn Indicators:
• Better responsiveness to switch the indicator off more readily when you have put on the “triple turn signal” / “flash” mode but then change your mind…all modern cars that I have driven do this better than BMW.

Instrument Cluster:
• Electronic Display. This is in the bottom portion of the instrument panel, and is partly obscured by the steering wheel and steering column. Part of this display could be located between or above the speedometer and tachometer, if some of the warning lights were moved.

• Although I am conscious of fuel consumption, I find the current fuel-consumption gauge beneath the tachometer to be useless. I think this should be removed, and the engine temperature or fuel level indicator put in its place. That would free up more space for a larger electronic display if the instrument cluster was reconfigured.

Comfort Access
• Generally works well.
• “No touch” trunk lid opening is intermittent for most users (certainly for me despite a lot of reading and practicing). This needs fine-tuning.

Rear Seating
• Rear-seat power outlet looks ugly with the plastic bung, especially with lighter colored interiors. This should be improved (e.g. latch cover, or replace with a USB charge socket).
• Rear-seat latch covers are attached using flimsy tabs, and are easily broken.

Lights:
• The non-xenon headlights are too dim on the “dipped” setting. Non-luxury cars (e.g. VW, Toyota, Honda, etc.) do much better.

iDrive / USB:
• Forgets the USB track you were playing if you leave the car for some hours, and begins back at the first track. It should remember your last track indefinitely, like any cheap MP3 player.
• Bug: If you select a new track by navigating the menu tree, sometimes it “cannot play” the track the first time you select it. If you go back into the menu, and get to the same track a different way, it can.
* A built-in higher amperage USB charge socket, in addition to the current sockets, would also be valuable.

Other more major problem issues:
• Improving road noise. I think my 18” wheels with Pirelli run-flat tires are partly responsible for this. When I had a 320i Base loaner car, with 17" wheels, it was noticeably quieter.

* All models and lines should have a backup camera included. It should not be an option. This is inevitable as the US DOT has mandated it, but BMW should have been more proactive, like most other manufacturers.

As I said, this is just my bucket list. Add your own small improvements that you expect.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 12:09 AM   #2
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My USB always begins where it left off. Always.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #3
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyg View Post
Auto Start-Stop
• Put the ASS disabled indicator light in the instrument cluster (the driver's view is obscured by the wiper stalk and steering wheel).
• Thankfully, other improvements have already appeared in the 2014 models: e.g. smoother engine on-off and “last setting hold” when you restart your car.
ASS in the cluster would probably cause confusion for the less auto-savvy and would take it in thinking there's a problem

Quote:
Wipers:
• Rain sensors work well however, you need better speed control for the intermittent setting.
• Wiper on light at the end of the stalk is partly obscured by steering wheel.
Agree on the speeds. My Yukon had I think 6 sensitivity settings - and I didn't have to turn it on every time. It stayed on.

Quote:
Turn Indicators:
• Better responsiveness to switch the indicator off more readily when you have put on the “triple turn signal” / “flash” mode but then change your mind…all modern cars that I have driven do this better than BMW.
I don't use the triple blink, but on a family member's F10, I think I remember pushing the stalk the other way and it turns off immediately?

Quote:
Instrument Cluster:
• Electronic Display. This is in the bottom portion of the instrument panel, and is partly obscured by the steering wheel and steering column. Part of this display could be located between or above the speedometer and tachometer, if some of the warning lights were moved.
I think this depends on the geometry of you and how you sit, I don't have a problem.

Quote:
Comfort Access
• Generally works well.
• “No touch” trunk lid opening is intermittent for most users (certainly for me despite a lot of reading and practicing). This needs fine-tuning.
The trunk is a PITA. I just figured it out a few days ago after my friend and I looked like morons in a parking lot for a few minutes testing how long to hold a foot out.

Quote:
iDrive / USB:
• Forgets the USB track you were playing if you leave the car for some hours, and begins back at the first track. It should remember your last track indefinitely, like any cheap MP3 player.
• Bug: If you select a new track by navigating the menu tree, sometimes it “cannot play” the track the first time you select it. If you go back into the menu, and get to the same track a different way, it can.
* A built-in higher amperage USB charge socket, in addition to the current sockets, would also be valuable.
Mine only forgets the song on my iphone if you listen to it outside of the car. If I take it out and listen to it on my headphones, it plays the playlist randomly and can't choose songs with the thumb wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 03:07 AM   #4
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

The trunk for the 2014 F30s was completely re-engineered. I drove around a 2012 for almost a month and had all kinds of issues with the truck. The 2014 I have now is extremely easy and opens 9 out of 10 times. And it's not because I know how to use it, I move my foot at random intervals to see how well it works and it is pretty good.

I personally like the location of the ASS button, and have had no issues with my iPhone playing right where it left off, even if I am playing other music in between. Hell, I even found out that if I am listening to my iPhone music via Bluetooth on my wife's Lexus RX450h, then go into my BMW 335, the BMW will start playing the music right where I left off in the lexus. :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
jasnh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Atlantis Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
My USB always begins where it left off. Always.
Same here, have never had an issue with this....so far
      01-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

I think we'll see:
- LED headlight option (like the 4 series). Along with this slightly modified headlight/taillights
- iDrive improvements

I want to see:
- Bluetooth. Come on BMW - make streaming media from Bluetooth devices standard, regardless of option packages.
- N55 engine improvements?

To OP: I've never had the iDrive issues you're having. My car picks up on the track it last played, and selecting songs works the first time around.