F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Why all the hate for the Gran Turismo?
ARMA SPEED

08-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
JelliBean
Rep
Drives: 328 or 335

Why all the hate for the Gran Turismo?

I am embarrassed to admit it, but I'm letting the haters get to me! I found my GT ...was doing research on this forum and found out that apparently BMW enthusiasts think this car is akin to the Pontiac Aztek...the red-headed stepchild of the BMW world! Suddenly, I am second guessing purchasing the car... I thought the car looked great until I filled my head with the negativity and find myself wondering "maybe it is ugly??"

Has anyone regretted their purchase? Yes, of course I know that design/ aesthetics are purely personal and subjective... but I just have to get input before I move forward. Also wondering if the general consensus will affect resale value.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
Hispeed4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Love my 335GT. Msport does help the looks of the car. I think its by far one of the most practical cars out there. Get a 340 Msport with adaptive suspension and you are good to go. Enjoy.
Appreciate 4
      08-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Ishan99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

It is in my opinion that it will not affect the resale value. People who want a GT will get a GT.
Follow @Black_Lux_Cars on IG
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Look at the topics in the general F30/31/32 forum. They tend to be dominated by two topics, 'Complaints about my car' and 'What can I do to make my car better looking and/or performing'. It seems that most aren't happy with their cars for one reason or another. Yes, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, and any forum is going to be for the most part a bitch fest, but if you go through the F34 posts you'll see that as a bunch we're very satisfied with our 'ugly' cars. We even have our own theme song:
Appreciate 5
      08-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
LiquidMercury
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

If you like it, who gives a flying pig schitt, right? Hell, I drive a 320i that gets mocked here by most (not all, but most) and do I care? Nope. Thing is, anyone that cuts your model down, will always have a BMW owner a model up on them thinking the same about them.

Be happy with your ride as I am. Make it your own as I've done and that's all that matters.
Appreciate 5
      08-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
JelliBean
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Look at the topics in the general F30/31/32 forum. They tend to be dominated by two topics, 'Complaints about my car' and 'What can I do to make my car better looking and/or performing'. It seems that most aren't happy with their cars for one reason or another. Yes, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, and any forum is going to be for the most part a bitch fest, but if you go through the F34 posts you'll see that as a bunch we're very satisfied with our 'ugly' cars. We even have our own theme song:

Hilarious! I love it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Why worry about what people think, if you like it then get it. I wouldn't worry about re-sale though there might be less buyers. I personally am not fond of the GT though they have good space for sure. I had a GT 328 loaner and it felt slow and heavy...maybe the 335 is much better. And the looks to me are not as good as other models, but it's all opinion and what you think is all that matters.
      08-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #8
phnikola
Rep
Drives: F34 LCI 320d

Whenever you feel unsure - just open the official video and watch it:

https://youtu.be/HT_bpx1DxUI

I have the song now in my GT and listen it whenever I feel the need... the need for speed...
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #9
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelliBean View Post
I am embarrassed to admit it, but I'm letting the haters get to me! I found my GT ...was doing research on this forum and found out that apparently BMW enthusiasts think this car is akin to the Pontiac Aztek...the red-headed stepchild of the BMW world! Suddenly, I am second guessing purchasing the car... I thought the car looked great until I filled my head with the negativity and find myself wondering "maybe it is ugly??"

Has anyone regretted their purchase? Yes, of course I know that design/ aesthetics are purely personal and subjective... but I just have to get input before I move forward. Also wondering if the general consensus will affect resale value.
Because the GT is oddly proportioned (it looks much better when lowered IMO). The 5 GT set the precedence for UGLY (and the rear end really is), and although the 3 GT looks much better IMO, it still bears resemblance.

Also, they're using the GT to deny us wagons.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #10
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post

Also, they're using the GT to deny us wagons.
Yeah, true---those e90 wagons are pretty sharp looking especially when lowered with some nice wheels and a tint. Too bad they don't make an f30 335 version.
      08-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If wagons sold well in the US we'd get them. Wagons, like the GT, are far more practical than SUVs, but average Americans can't get it through their heads that bigger doesn't mean better. Besides, I looked at the 3 wagon, my GT beats it in every way that matters to me.
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #12
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If wagons sold well in the US we'd get them. Wagons, like the GT, are far more practical than SUVs, but average Americans can't get it through their heads that bigger doesn't mean better. Besides, I looked at the 3 wagon, my GT beats it in every way that matters to me.
They'd probably sell better if they were actually marketed.

When was the last time a BMW commercial in the US featured a wagon? I can't recall ever seeing an E91 or F31 on TV. Feature an F31 in a "lifestyle" commercial (like all the companies do for their crossovers) and I'm sure they'd sell more.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #13
Skald
Private
Hungary
Rep
Drives: '16 F34 320d luxury

Don't mind those so called "enthusiasts"... After 1,5 year I'm still getting positive comments at fuel stations and parking lots from random people. I was driving f30 and f31 too for months and no one approached me - we have too many wagons in Europe. If you want something that is unique and unconventional you have to accept that some people will not like it. Forums are filled kids and frustrated people crying for attention. Look at the GT forum like Billfitz has mentioned before - it's a different breed. My only regret is the color: sapphire black is a beauty... but if I'm thinking about cleaning it again and again... it's a nightmare
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When was the last time a BMW commercial in the US featured a wagon?
More recently than Ford, Chevy and Chrysler.
The last wagon that Chrysler sold was the Pacifica. The model name still exists, but it's no longer a wagon, now it's a mini-van. Ford hasn't made a wagon since the 2006 Taurus. That's 10 years after the last of the full size GM wagons were sold.

Commercials don't come cheap, and no company is going to waste money pushing what marketing research has told them the public doesn't care about. I've seen a few GT commercials, but very few. BMW is going to spend their advertising dollars pushing what they think best counters their segment competition, Mercedes, Lexus and Infiniti. Of those only Mercedes sells a wagon, the $70k E class. I've never seen an ad for it either. Niche vehicles like the F31 and F34 don't get advertised because people who want the features they offer will search them out.

The only recent major ad campaign for a wagon was for the Toyota Venza, and it was squarely aimed at the segment dominated in the US by Subaru. It must not have been money well spent, the Venza was discontinued.

Last edited by Billfitz; 08-19-2017 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #15
Bavarianwagon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G31

You have to keep in mind that these people hold nostalgia for days gone by way too dearly sometimes.
The icons that BMW has put out in the past are truely wonderful machines but times change.
New markets open up and new customers find their way to the brand everyday.

The idea that a BMW "enthusiast" can only manifest themselves in one singular fashion is just plain ignorant if you ask me.
We all find our niches, some want pure unfiltered performance, some love design, others are suckers for history, innovation etc.
Some of us just want something different than the norm.

And if you listen to these "armchair enthusiasts" the only acceptable BMW to own would be, at the very least, a 3 series with a 6 cylinder and god forbid if you pick anything but a manual.

BMW offers all types of cars. And I feel that it's just narrow minded to dismiss a car just because it breaks a "norm". Especially without giving it a chance.
Subjectively, I find the GT to be a very interesting take on the traditional wagon concept.

So take their opinions with a grain of salt and buy what appeals to you. Cause in the end you're the one who's going to spend time in it
2018 430i F36 GC LCI Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #16
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarianwagon View Post
Subjectively, I find the GT to be a very interesting take on the traditional wagon concept.
I'd say this '49 Chevy was the original precursor of the GT:
Appreciate 4
      08-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #17
JelliBean
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarianwagon View Post
You have to keep in mind that these people hold nostalgia for days gone by way too dearly sometimes.
The icons that BMW has put out in the past are truely wonderful machines but times change.
New markets open up and new customers find their way to the brand everyday.

The idea that a BMW "enthusiast" can only manifest themselves in one singular fashion is just plain ignorant if you ask me.
We all find our niches, some want pure unfiltered performance, some love design, others are suckers for history, innovation etc.
Some of us just want something different than the norm.

And if you listen to these "armchair enthusiasts" the only acceptable BMW to own would be, at the very least, a 3 series with a 6 cylinder and god forbid if you pick anything but a manual.

BMW offers all types of cars. And I feel that it's just narrow minded to dismiss a car just because it breaks a "norm". Especially without giving it a chance.

So take their opinions with a grain of salt and buy what appeals to you. Cause in the end you're the one who's going to spend time in it
Very thoughtful perspective and well said. "Different than the norm" is exactly what I'm looking for. I have nothing against the 3 series sedan, but where I live, you see them everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #18
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

I'm finishing up a family vacation in the Colorado Rockies, and it has thoroughly validated my F34 purchase. The power, braking, and handling on steep, twisty mountain roads, combined with the ability to carry 3 adults and 2 children in real comfort is amazing.

The GT haters are largely people who don't believe that BMW should be allowed to make any vehicles that they don't personally like. Pay no attention.
Appreciate 2
      08-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #19
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Over two years in my 3 GT and I still think it is spot on for what I need right now & I just don't get the criticism at all - I plan to keep it for another 2-3 years and would hope to be able go with a next generation M3 at that point as I shouldn't be needing the space (I mention that as that is an indicator of what I look for in a car and the GT is not that far adrift). I had the 5 GT before that (M Sport in Carbon Black & 20" wheels) and before that various BMW saloons.

Despite all the criticism on the forums the 5 GT is the only BMW I've driven where I've noticed admiring looks and even received a thumbs up... As it happens I don't like the look of wagons/estates/tourers but I need the space at present so the GT fits the bill perfectly... I'd say it is different to the saloon in a good way - much rarer... Go with what you need/want and ignore what others say about looks... Besides, apart from BMW geeks no one else would know what BMW model it is if you de-badge it - it probably looks closest to a 4 series of some description... For looks I'd recommend it in M Sport spec...
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #20
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
More recently than Ford, Chevy and Chrysler.
The last wagon that Chrysler sold was the Pacifica. The model name still exists, but it's no longer a wagon, now it's a mini-van. Ford hasn't made a wagon since the 2006 Taurus. That's 10 years after the last of the full size GM wagons were sold.

The only recent major ad campaign for a wagon was for the Toyota Venza, and it was squarely aimed at the segment dominated in the US by Subaru. It must not have been money well spent, the Venza was discontinued.
The Pacifica wasn't a wagon. It was a crossover SUV. Venza isn't a wagon either. Classified as an SUV.

The last wagon Chrysler made was the Dodge Magnum and I definitely remember seeing TV commercials for those.

It'll be interesting to see if there are any commercials for the new Buick wagon and how well it sells.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #21
CJ2000
Registered
Rep
Drives: '14 335 GT x-drive

I de-badged my 335i GT a couple weeks ago. I get a lot more looks of people trying to figure out what this thing is. Additionally, the windows are tinted, BSM and M-sport. I think it looks really sharp.

Goal is to lower it ~2 inches this weekend. I'll post pics after. I couldn't see anyone hating on it after that.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #22
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Pacifica wasn't a wagon. It was a crossover SUV. Venza isn't a wagon either. Classified as an SUV.
In most cases 'crossover' is what you call a wagon when you don't want it to be called a wagon, because crossovers sell better than wagons. In a similar vein SUV used to be what you called a passenger vehicle built on a pickup truck frame, but you didn't want to call it a truck, even though you officially classified it as a truck with the DOT to legally get around the Energy Policy and Conservation Act for fuel economy, and the Clean Air Act for emissions.
I subscribe to the notion that if something flies like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.
Appreciate 1