F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > F3X BMW Remote Key
proTUNING Freaks

10-05-2017, 04:42 AM   #1
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone M3

F3X BMW Remote Key

Does anyone know what BMW charge for a key? I have a 2012 F31 330d. I'm sure this has been asked before but after a quick Google, I couldn't find anything specific.

My car only came with 1 key when I purchased it. I've no fear that the previous owner retained a key to steal the car and if they did, it's been a year, what are they waiting for?

It would be helpful for me to know if they charge a standard price in the event that I might need to use it as evidence to negotiate the price. Apparently, BMW are one of the cheapest (compared to other manufacturers) for proving replacement keys so hopefully, something under £200 is realistic.

Cheers.
      10-05-2017, 04:48 AM   #2
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Just call your dealer & ask. Oh & get the keys re-programmed so only the ones you have in your possession unlock your car .
Appreciate 1
ahmedb368.00
      10-05-2017, 05:31 AM   #3
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon. View Post
Just call your dealer & ask. Oh & get the keys re-programmed so only the ones you have in your possession unlock your car .
£233.05. No discounts available on keys.
      10-05-2017, 05:43 AM   #4
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

I have a spare brand new key if you need it - but will still need a blade cut and the programming
Appreciate 1
ahmedb368.00
      10-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #5
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad View Post
I have a spare brand new key if you need it - but will still need a blade cut and the programming
Thanks for the offer. Is your key genuine BMW and does it consist of just the casing or is there some sort of chip inside it? Someone is aiming to view my car this weekend so if all goes well, they might (as currently indicated) want a 2nd key as part of the deal.
      10-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedb View Post
Thanks for the offer. Is your key genuine BMW and does it consist of just the casing or is there some sort of chip inside it? Someone is aiming to view my car this weekend so if all goes well, they might (as currently indicated) want a 2nd key as part of the deal.
The key is official OEM BMW and is a brand new fully working key.
its the one with 3 buttons.

Same as this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/bmw-oem-3-bu...item5682912b88
Appreciate 1
ahmedb368.00
      10-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #7
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Why on earth would you buy someone else an new key?
I’d just say you lost a key and they can get a new one if they want it. If it’s a deal breaker, offer £50 off. It’s a second hand car not a new one. It won’t be perfect v
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #8
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Why on earth would you buy someone else an new key? v
Ps I’m not selling it, I’m giving it away.
It’s no use to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #9
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad View Post
Ps I’m not selling it, I’m giving it away.
It’s no use to me.
The OP wanted to buy a key. It’s just fortuitous that you are giving him one for nothing. He will. Still need to pay to get it cut and programmed. Either way, he’s paying for someone else’s benefit.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 12:59 AM   #10
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The OP wanted to buy a key. It’s just fortuitous that you are giving him one for nothing. He will. Still need to pay to get it cut and programmed. Either way, he’s paying for someone else’s benefit.
Which it exactly what I said in post 4 in respect of coding and blade cutting.
Anyhow I offered and the OP has that option if he requires.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 02:00 AM   #11
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

The dealers do not exactly have a monopoly over keys due to trading laws. My local independent can do it for 180. If you have the software and knowledge you could do it for a lot less. Some security and car alarm firms can beat the 180 quote though.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 02:08 AM   #12
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Why on earth would you buy someone else an new key?
I’d just say you lost a key and they can get a new one if they want it. If it’s a deal breaker, offer £50 off. It’s a second hand car not a new one. It won’t be perfect v
The potential buyer is using the cost of a new key towards the price negotiation. If they only take £233 off the asking price, I'd be pretty happy to be honest.

If I can get a key case, however, the cost of blade cutting/coding should be less than £233 if that makes sense which would benefit me because they have less movement (on the topic of spare keys) to negotiate on price.
      10-06-2017, 03:06 AM   #13
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The potential buyer is using the cost of a new key towards the price negotiation. If they only take £233 off the asking price, I'd be pretty happy to be honest.

If I can get a key case, however, the cost of blade cutting/coding should be less than £233 if that makes sense which would benefit me because they have less movement (on the topic of spare keys) to negotiate on price.
If the potential buy is using the whole cost of a key against you then I’d tell him to bolt.
This is no different to putting new tyres on a car or repaying dents. Sure it may make a car more attractive to buyers having things perfect but my experience is if you point out the flaws in the ad, and when they turn up, they have no negotiation leverage. It’s up to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #14
XK140
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SEAT Leon Cupra Carbon/GT86

Quote:
If the potential buy is using the whole cost of a key against you then I’d tell him to bolt.
This is no different to putting new tyres on a car or repaying dents. Sure it may make a car more attractive to buyers having things perfect but my experience is if you point out the flaws in the ad, and when they turn up, they have no negotiation leverage. It’s up to you.
I'm afraid I take the opposite view.
If I go to look at a car with one key how do I know the other is not in the hands of a potential thief?
Also,it puts the owner in a rather careless light,so I ask what other careless moments has he had with the car.
WBAC and the rest always ask about the presence of two keys so it is obviously important to them.
In any case if you can negotiiate a private sale you should be a lot better off than a trade sale,so £200 or so seems a small price to pay.
Appreciate 0