F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > are LED's or halogens better for downroad visibility
ARMA SPEED

11-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #45
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
I know Bill's work. He is detail oriented and a man of science. I would give him the benefit of the doubt.
His reinvention of the basic laws of science remove the benefit of doubt.

If he can prove his radical new theory he’s posted here, he’d receive a Nobel Prize and all textbooks would need to be rewritten.

But then again, he posted “it ain’t rocket science”, so must conclude textbooks are safe and Nobel Commitee will not be announcing his name.

Only one option left....
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #46
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbwatson View Post
Hi

I have factory halogens without halo's. Didn't even realize it til after I bought the car, I assumes all BMW's came with halo's. anyway I recently bought some ebay headlight housings to replace mine & am wondering if I should go with LED replacement bulbs or halogens. Main concern is downroad visibility (how far & how well I can see at night) secondary concern/preference is color temp looking for a white light probably about 6,000k. Have LED's gotten to a point yet that they can compete with or perform better than top shelf halogens like sylvania?

If you have any specific brand/bulb to recommend please do so

Attachment 1721160
I was wondering the same and came across the below article and two videos. I found them quite useful since there's discussion of many factors, including comparison of beam patterns. Also, they measure brightness at 23 feet away which in my mind is a bit more telling than raw lumens from close up. I'm sure actual results will vary depending on your headlight housings too, but nevertheless I thought I'd share. Hope it's helpful!

http://betterautomotivelighting.com/...oot-ones-best/

Video on what to look for:

Video comparison (more or less video version of the article in the first link):
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #47
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles01 View Post
Ithey measure brightness at 23 feet away which in my mind is a bit more telling than raw lumens from close up.
Measuring close up won't tell you what happens at a distance, as that's as much the result of the beam pattern as it is the raw spherical output. That's why you can't consider lumens alone, you also have to consider lux, the level of illumination over a given area at a given distance. I measured mine at 25 feet.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 03:38 AM   #48
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46nowF30 View Post
Here's the $30k test equipment/procedure used and proof the LEDs are brighter and whiter than halogens, if you're wondering! Now go away...
Suggest you reread.

No one stated LEDs were not brighter than Halogens since the OP.

However, only one poster made SPECIFIC claims that he had tested LEDs....and that they defied the laws of physics.

When he was asked how he tested for these claims, as should involve specific test equipment that someone in his claimed field would not have access to, he (like yourself) deflected.

If He posted his F30 does the 1/4 mile in 7.5 seconds and refused to back it up, I suggest that you would be not be making idiotic pics supporting him.

One asked for specifics of his tests that defied physics, he knew he was busted and refused. But he continues to make more claims, again, without any details to support his claims.

Do you want Bimmerpost to be a forum of facts....or useless bad info?

I know my choice.

PS. Your pic is incorrect according to the claims he put forward. LED with No Blue and No Yellow would not NOT be white.

Last edited by kabrichx; 11-19-2017 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 03:17 AM   #49
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabrichx View Post
Halogens were revolutionary in the 70s when they replaced incandescent.

This Century they fail all the Highway Safety test.

HID Xenons blow them away as do SOME LEDs, though the F30 Standard LEDs also perform poorly on the safety tests.
When you say they 'fail' all highway safety tests how come they are still legal?? Surely if something fails a highway safety test it would be banned!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #50
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
When you say they 'fail' all highway safety tests how come they are still legal?? Surely if something fails a highway safety test it would be banned!
Poor (or Failure) choice of words on my behalf.

They rate poor.

Even the BMW Adaptive LEDs rated Acceptable, below Good

Then again, Look at crash tests results. Vehicles can rate poor (or fail) and remain legal.
Attached Images

Last edited by kabrichx; 11-20-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #51
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep

I would point out that these tests discredit Billfitz tests of the LEDs (non Adaptive) being 2x brighter than Halogen.

In fact look at both Halogen and Standard OEM tests at 400 feet.

And unlike Billfitz actual results and testing procedure was revealed.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 03:38 AM   #52
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Wow the standard LED results appear to perform no better than halogens if I'm reading the charts correctly... and yet the LED package was originally a (not particularly cheap)cost option, although the LCi M Sport did get them as standard! Surely they must do better with the G20, has anyone seen results for the G30 LEDs??
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #53
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow the standard LED results appear to perform no better than halogens if I'm reading the charts correctly... and yet the LED package was originally a (not particularly cheap)cost option, although the LCi M Sport did get them as standard! Surely they must do better with the G20, has anyone seen results for the G30 LEDs??
As I stated in post #2, SOME LEDs are better.

i also stated that the standard LEDs were not and now you can see why.

The Optional Adaptive LEDs do better but still not in the Good range...only acceptable.

As for the G30, 1 grade above the F30 LEDs

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...oor-sedan/2017

Last edited by kabrichx; 11-21-2017 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #54
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

Quote:
Quote:

The Optional Adaptive LEDs do better but still not in the Good range...only acceptable.

Thanks for that! I am quite surprised to see that LED projector high beam did not do as good as LED reflector high beam as per their test.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #55
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

As a small aside, I have had 2 oncoming drivers in the past 2 days high beam me late for just having my low beams on. (non-adaptive LEDs). I was quick on the lever to get them back on both occasions.... hows that for high beams ya ****

I've passed other F30s with the same lights and didn't think they're obnoxious. I was thinking about trying to aim mine up just a tick per my previous post but maybe not...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 02:59 AM   #56
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Yeah thanks for these charts, very interesting! Seems the G30 has better low beam than the adaptive F30 then, giving an overall Good rating rather than just Acceptable. Hopefully the G20 will at the very least get these as standard (although how likely is that given the big price differential between these cars?)

Not very good that the best lights available on an F30 are still not good enough... and in the 21st Century!! I guess it all comes down to the fact that most car buyers (myself included) don't pay much attention to headlight quality, as one normally test drives a new car during the daytime and it's an aspect of a car that we tend to assume will be at least acceptable!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #57
Danddd
Love rollin in my wagon
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 Saphire Black/Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
As a small aside, I have had 2 oncoming drivers in the past 2 days high beam me late for just having my low beams on. (non-adaptive LEDs). I was quick on the lever to get them back on both occasions.... hows that for high beams ya ****

I've passed other F30s with the same lights and didn't think they're obnoxious. I was thinking about trying to aim mine up just a tick per my previous post but maybe not...
My car was at the dealer yesterday for a new seat cover (bad stitching on drivers seat back cushion). I asked the dealer to adjust the low beams a bit higher. What an improvement! Haven't been flashed yet, so it might be at optimal level.
      11-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #58
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
Practically speaking, the best consistent downroad lighting seems to be HID. LED seem to have potential, but still some issues with execution. Mostly they are a selling feature and make the car nice to look at and less expensive to manufacture then HID.

I have factory LED - non adaptive, and they are not even close to the best headlights I have had on a car.
Agreed my LEDs suck.
Appreciate 0