F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Adapt Shark Fin Phone Antenna to any phone?
proTUNING Freaks

10-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
DrPhant0m
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 335xGT M, Estoril Blue

Adapt Shark Fin Phone Antenna to any phone?

I'm aware that BMW offers clip-in modules for a small handful of now-obsolete Android phones (perhaps they've stayed up-to-date with iPhones... I don't know). In fact, I don't think my Note 4 would even fit in the spot that is reserved for the phone adapter.

Knowing that the small set of Android phones (Samung S3, for example) that are supported do not have an external antenna connector, I presume that the clip-in module has a "passive external antenna" which is sort of like a plate that you put as close to the internal antenna as possible to induce the signal from the shark fin antenna into the internal antenna, and increase reception.

My question is this... has any significant research been done on newer models of the F3x vehicles toward adapting the clip-in module connection to other passive antennae, such that we could adapt a car kit for any phone and use the shark fin as an external phone antenna?

Again... without the exposure of an external antenna connection, the best that we could hope for from the shark fin (with or without the OEM module and a supported phone) would be a passive antenna. It can't add reception via USB or anything like that. (In fact, I think it's illegal to power up a signal on a mobile phone by any other means than passive/external non-powered antennae) So... I think there's a real possibility that we could adapt the little round antenna connector under the adapter plate to a passive antenna for use with any phone.

Personally, I've got a Note 4 and a 2014 F34. Currently, I have Verizon CDMA phone service, but I've considered moving to T-Mobile. However, T-Mo doesn't offer the same level of reception. I'd love to get a car dock for the phone with an antenna connection that connects to the shark fin. If I really wanted to get serious, I could expose an external antenna connection on my Note 4 and cut a hole in the battery door and case to connect to it... but I'd rather avoid all of that, as well as the wear and tear and probable damage of the small connector on my phone.

I found compelling research here:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161041
... however, that conversation started 7 years ago, so I have a reasonable doubt that the connections are still all the same.

Is anyone else interested in this?

--Ryan
Appreciate 0