F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Any xdrive reviews out there?
proTUNING Freaks

10-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #45
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Summer performance tyres 225 fronts 255 rears continentals seem to be favourite.

Thanks John

Presumable the rears are all weather then? I didn't think it was possible to mix different types of tyres by maybe that only applies to mixing summer and winters.

What would be the implications of just leaving winter tyres in place all year round? I assume that the winter ones would wear more quickly in the summer but would performance / grip also be significantly compromised in warmer weather?

Apologies for what might seem like an obvious question... My tyre knowledge is somewhat on the limited side although i've found out a lot from these forums
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #46
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
Thanks John

Presumable the rears are all weather then? I didn't think it was possible to mix different types of tyres by maybe that only applies to mixing summer and winters.

What would be the implications of just leaving winter tyres in place all year round? I assume that the winter ones would wear more quickly in the summer but would performance / grip also be significantly compromised in warmer weather?

Apologies for what might seem like an obvious question... My tyre knowledge is somewhat on the limited side although i've found out a lot from these forums
Comparison of tyre types, the winters don't fare as badly as you might think, so no rush to change back to summers. tyre review

Another interesting clip from Whatcar:

Whatcar summer vs winter tyres
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #47
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post

No, not all weather, the front and rears will be the same HP summer tyres, just different sizing for the staggered wheels.

Winter tyres all year are not the best idea, folks do it, but not normally on performance cars, as the tyres squirm a bit too much and of course will wear faster.

The idea of a winter tyre is also to have decent tread, so at around 4mm you change them out for new ones. Some users will then run the lower treads out for a summer season, to use up the remaining tread, and replace with new next winter. Tyre companies have even suggested that is is acceptable.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #48
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Thanks guys, fascinating debate and your experience is invaluable.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #49
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Ok sorry one last question.

The BMW website has a specific section regarding winter tyres. Apparently I can buy a set of winter wheels and tyres from them and they'll store the opposite set when not in use.

What I don't get is why I need a whole new set of wheels as well as tyres. Is it not possible to simply swap out the summer tyres for the winter ones and then store the tyres only? I can't understand is why I would need new wheels as well.

Unless there is something peculiar about winter tyres in that they won't fit onto standard wheels this seems to me that BMW are taking the opportunity to make more money.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #50
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I'm no tyre expert but think the benefits of a wheel/tyre set vs. just a tyre swap is:
  1. The action of removing/re-fitting tyres is not good for the tyre.
  2. You protect your summer alloys from salt and corrosion by using a winter set.
  3. You can opt for a slightly narrower setup for winter (e.g. 18" vs. 19" or 17" vs. 18") as this gives better performance in ice & snow.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #51
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Thanks a lot rob
Appreciate 0