F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Which Size Skene License Bracket for 2013 335 M-Sport?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Which Size Skene License Bracket for 2013 335 M-Sport?

Hi All -

I am considering ordering the Skene bracket. One of our mates indicated that I should purchase a medium. However, Skene is adamant that I purchase a small.

Who has one and which size did you order?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
KeenDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

I purchased a small, but I haven't mounted it yet.. it's been 6 mths..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Hi All -

I am considering ordering the Skene bracket. One of our mates indicated that I should purchase a medium. However, Skene is adamant that I purchase a small.

Who has one and which size did you order?

Thanks!
Small fits perfectly on an msport. you own't have room for any bigger than small. I just installed mine and couldn't be happier. What I love, is, since the swivel brackets are all mounted via bolts, you can take off the mounts, and go plateless yet leave the mounting harness under the bumper and it's barely noticeable. Hands down this is the best option imo.!
      03-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
Small fits perfectly on an msport. you own't have room for any bigger than small.
That's not true. I have the medium, and it fits fine. What you lose with the small, is the ability to mount the plate more perpendicular to the ground. Unless you mount the small bracket more forward in the bumper, it won't have enough 'reach' to let the plate tilt more vertically. As you can see, I don't even have enough room to make the plate go straight vertical. A small will give you even less flexibility in this respect.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Small fits perfectly on an msport. you own't have room for any bigger than small. I just installed mine and couldn't be happier. What I love, is, since the swivel brackets are all mounted via bolts, you can take off the mounts, and go plateless yet leave the mounting harness under the bumper and it's barely noticeable. Hands down this is the best option imo.!
Interestingly, Skene told me to order the small, which I did. However, they sent me a medium! I am going to install tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
That's not true. I have the medium, and it fits fine. What you lose with the small, is the ability to mount the plate more perpendicular to the ground. Unless you mount the small bracket more forward in the bumper, it won't have enough 'reach' to let the plate tilt more vertically. As you can see, I don't even have enough room to make the plate go straight vertical. A small will give you even less flexibility in this respect.

Interestingly, Skene told me to order the small, which I did. However, they sent me a medium! I am going to install tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Let us know if it works out

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

i got a medium, fits perfect
      03-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
Dinh335
Major
Rep

Quote:

it appears your bottom mount is sticking out though? i.e. not flush with the bumper? as far as your comments on the small..not sure what your point is, mine fits fine, and why the heck would i want my plate perpendicular to the ground lol. ? what you said is also not true, i have plenty of angle left, all i have to do is loosen the nut on the side, and still have at least an inch of travel.

so we've concluded medium and small fit, but medium the bottom mount may stick out a bit but you can mount your plate 90 degrees facing the ground so no one can see it.

pics of my small:

Attached Images

03-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it appears your bottom mount is sticking out though? i.e. not flush with the bumper? as far as your comments on the small..not sure what your point is, mine fits fine, and why the heck would i want my plate perpendicular to the ground lol. ? what you said is also not true, i have plenty of angle left, all i have to do is loosen the nut on the side, and still have at least an inch of travel.

so we've concluded medium and small fit, but medium the bottom mount may stick out a bit but you can mount your plate 90 degrees facing the ground so no one can see it.

pics of my small:
I do appreciate you sharing your pics. They do highlight the differences in angles that can be achieved with the small vs. medium. With the small, your plate face will definitely tilt more towards the ground. Some people may prefer this, others may not. But now we have good examples of what it looks like with each size: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=63
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Dinh335
Major
Rep

Quote:
I do appreciate you sharing your pics. They do highlight the differences in angles that can be achieved with the small vs. medium. With the small, your plate face will definitely tilt more towards the ground. Some people may prefer this, others may not. But now we have good examples of what it looks like with each size: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=63
not arguing here...but with small...on my 2nd pic, u can see I'm pretty much following the contours of the front bumper, so it's pretty vertical...no less than OEM since it follows the angle of the bumper. For sure medium will allow more vertical, but the takeaway is that the bottom mount isn't flush with the bumper. With small i can dismantle the vertical brackets if i want, and it'll appear completely clean again if i ever want to remove it.

regardless, and not arguing. glad both fit. I was very happy with Skene's product, so hope more people get it.
      03-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
not arguing here...but with small...on my 2nd pic, u can see I'm pretty much following the contours of the front bumper, so it's pretty vertical...no less than OEM since it follows the angle of the bumper. For sure medium will allow more vertical, but the takeaway is that the bottom mount isn't flush with the bumper. With small i can dismantle the vertical brackets if i want, and it'll appear completely clean again if i ever want to remove it.

regardless, and not arguing. glad both fit. I was very happy with Skene's product, so hope more people get it.
I got the impression that the OEM mount was more vertical to the ground than the angle you ended up with? And you're right, both fit, it is totally user preference

Actually what upsets me is the dozens of cars I see every day without plates, and here we spent all this time, money and effort and it seems like no one is getting pulled over for no front plates any longer.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #13
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Quote:

I got the impression that the OEM mount was more vertical to the ground than the angle you ended up with? And you're right, both fit, it is totally user preference

Actually what upsets me is the dozens of cars I see every day without plates, and here we spent all this time, money and effort and it seems like no one is getting pulled over for no front plates any longer.
In most states this is a fix-it ticket and a secondary violation anyway. In CA you have to be pulled over for something g else to get written for no front plate. (Many will argue this as cops DO pull and write for no plate, usually motors, but if you dispute the ticket and you a) weren't written for something else or b) weren't stopped for other primary cause, you'll get the ticket thrown out. How do I know this? Several tickets dismissed.)

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #14
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

oh god, are all US plates so ugly? (serious question)
you guys dont have custom number plates?
      03-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
johnofcross
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Superman 2013 F30 335i M Sport

Thank god in Florida we don't have to put front plates. I got the small mounts for my Euro ED plate + plate bracket about a month ago, still haven't installed it... fml
      03-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
Dinh335
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSmokeBBQ View Post
In most states this is a fix-it ticket and a secondary violation anyway. In CA you have to be pulled over for something g else to get written for no front plate. (Many will argue this as cops DO pull and write for no plate, usually motors, but if you dispute the ticket and you a) weren't written for something else or b) weren't stopped for other primary cause, you'll get the ticket thrown out. How do I know this? Several tickets dismissed.)
I've been plateless for the better part of 9 years here (used to have rx8 which looked like a buck tooth bunny rabbit with its front plate). It's like this in Va too i believe, but the cops will still find a way to pull you over. Plus when parked, say downtown or out, they have a knack of giving you a 50 dollar parking ticket, which while minimal, does get annoying.

The nice part about the SKENE is that you can dismantle the vertical brackets but still leave the bottom mount and go plateless if you want, pretty easily w/o holes or anything noticeable for the most part. This is also one small advantage to the small bracket, as it's flush with the bumper. Medium (i think) will stick out a pinch more, which has its benefits with plate on, but won't allow for as stealthy a look sans plate. all personal pref, no right or wrong.
      03-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
Dinh335
Major
Rep

Quote:

if OEM is 90 degrees, I'm probably at 93 or so...its basically the countour of the bumper so it eeks forward ever so slightly, but not pointing downwards per se. totally personal pref.-plus side being i can remove the vertical mounts and be stealth again.

Ive had a bad streak lately which is why i went with mounting it. Been pulled over 3x in as many months, and 2 parking tickets, one pull over for warning with my 15 mo old too that made me feel a little silly. I'm also tired of putting the plate on my dash every time i park and hearing it rattle in the map pocket of door. Nice about the small skene is i can remove it all pretty easily when i feel like taking chances again.

Last edited by Dinh335; 03-17-2013 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #18
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Well, I am going to leave the plate off for a while. That said, I am contacting skene on Monday and requesting the small (which is what I ordered). I think it would lay better than the medium.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser View Post
oh god, are all US plates so ugly? (serious question)
you guys dont have custom number plates?
Queensland's are no prize.

Every state in the US has a different plate, we have vanity plates, and most states have a large number of designs from which you can choose.

California's special plates
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport-'12MustGT 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnofcross View Post
Thank god in Florida we don't have to put front plates. I got the small mounts for my Euro ED plate + plate bracket about a month ago, still haven't installed it... fml
John, like you I am so glad that we are not required to have the front plates here in Florida. On my '05 ED I left the plate on the front after our return. Back then they did not use the double sided tape but rather drilled holes and mounted it. This time I'm leaving the plate off after the trip. No holes, and I think the M Sport just looks better without.

On a side note, in five years and nearly 100,000 miles on that car, not once did someone come up to me and say, "Oh, you did the BMW Euro delivery!"

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut /Packages- Prem / DHP / Tech / Driver Assist / DA Plus Options- 8 Sprt AT / Htd FS / HK / Hi Bm Asst /403 19" w/perf tyres

Ordered: 12/15/12, ED Delivery Date: 04/23/13
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #21
johnofcross
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Superman 2013 F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
John, like you I am so glad that we are not required to have the front plates here in Florida. On my '05 ED I left the plate on the front after our return. Back then they did not use the double sided tape but rather drilled holes and mounted it. This time I'm leaving the plate off after the trip. No holes, and I think the M Sport just looks better without.

On a side note, in five years and nearly 100,000 miles on that car, not once did someone come up to me and say, "Oh, you did the BMW Euro delivery!"
Only those in the know would question it. Everyone else thinks your a fancy European with the fancy Euro plates. Or a bit thick I'm glad I'm the know now
      03-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #22
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport-'12MustGT 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnofcross View Post
Only those in the know would question it. Everyone else thinks your a fancy European with the fancy Euro plates. Or a bit thick I'm glad I'm the know now
Yes, I always thought there would be more "in the know," and that the plate would be a conversation starter. But, in the end, not so much....

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut /Packages- Prem / DHP / Tech / Driver Assist / DA Plus Options- 8 Sprt AT / Htd FS / HK / Hi Bm Asst /403 19" w/perf tyres

Ordered: 12/15/12, ED Delivery Date: 04/23/13
Appreciate 0