F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > U.S. import duty on Bimmertech products
GetBMWParts

08-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

U.S. import duty on Bimmertech products

Can someone tell me if there is a Customs charge associated with buying PDC and camera retrofit parts from Bimmertech? I have seen some posts that say there are taxes collected and some that imply that there are none.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Check with BimmerTech. They will know.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
Can someone tell me if there is a Customs charge associated with buying PDC and camera retrofit parts from Bimmertech? I have seen some posts that say there are taxes collected and some that imply that there are none.
I paid zip, zero zilch in terms of import taxes/duties/fees/registration/insurance lol

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #4
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
For some of our retrofits like PDC there will be an import duty fee.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Can someone tell me if there is a Customs charge associated with buying PDC and camera retrofit parts from Bimmertech?
None that you have to pay that aren't included in the price. It's when you buy from an overseas sources, in effect acting as your own importer, that you might run into duties that you have to pay.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

If I buy from Bimmertech, isn't that an overseas source so I would need to pay?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Right, Bimmertech is a Polish company, I forgot about that.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Right, Bimmertech is a Polish company, I forgot about that.
Correct but most of our products ship from our office in Dubai. Only a few products ship from Poland and if the total is over $899 it's subject to duty/customs fees.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/information/shipping
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:

There is no simple answer to this question. First of all you are asking as someone living in the USA, so my answer might not apply to people living elsewhere. Each country has different import regulations.

For the USA (when shipping from the EU) products with value under $800 will not be subject to any import duty. If it's more than $800 you might end up paying a few % (usually 2-4%).
We ship our products from 3 different locations including USA (in this case it does not matter if we are a Polish company), so if you really want to know if you will pay any import duty or if there is a chance it might happen you should reach out to us and tell us what you would like to order and where you live. We will do our best to help you understand what might happen.

In general over 90% of our customers do not pay any import duty regardless where they live. We help them by declaring the "right" value when we can (the bigger part of the price can be shifted towards the coding/programming service in some cases).
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #10
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
There is no simple answer to this question. First of all you are asking as someone living in the USA, so my answer might not apply to people living elsewhere. Each country has different import regulations.

For the USA (when shipping from the EU) products with value under $800 will not be subject to any import duty. If it's more than $800 you might end up paying a few % (usually 2-4%).
We ship our products from 3 different locations including USA (in this case it does not matter if we are a Polish company), so if you really want to know if you will pay any import duty or if there is a chance it might happen you should reach out to us and tell us what you would like to order and where you live. We will do our best to help you understand what might happen.

In general over 90% of our customers do not pay any import duty regardless where they live. We help them by declaring the "right" value when we can (the bigger part of the price can be shifted towards the coding/programming service in some cases).
I hope this will be the case for the cluster too as I was told it ships from Poland at this time.

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0