F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Entry Level Luxury Sedan Motortrend Review: BMW 320i vs CLA250, CC and Regal
Studio RSR

04-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #45
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

yeah i just read this article in the magazine last night... i am so proud of that little Jalopnik BMW (tho it was missing the stick)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY TDI View Post
This is what motortrend had to say about the CLA buyers.

"This is the market that's been buying Camrys and Corollas – they, frankly speaking, might not know a good car if it hit them."

They're referring to the fact that the Buick, 320i and A3 might drive better, but folks will still buy the CLA.

See link:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...8t_first_test/
So true !!
The auto industry knows it... and Mercedes is riding on this new wave of badge buyers... trading and upgrading from their beige car to a beige car with a badge...
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2015, 03:59 PM   #46
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Lol, that entire article was a joke. At one point, they are trying to figure out which one of the 4 economy sedans has the most spirited drive. Personal opinion - If I wanted to pick the car that will turn the most heads in the right way, i'd buy the CLA. If i wanted to pick the car that drives the best for that price point, I would pick neither of the 4.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #47
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
Lol, that entire article was a joke. At one point, they are trying to figure out which one of the 4 economy sedans has the most spirited drive. Personal opinion - If I wanted to pick the car that will turn the most heads in the right way, i'd buy the CLA. If i wanted to pick the car that drives the best for that price point, I would pick neither of the 4.
What would you pick?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #48
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

LMAO

A Buick?

Didn't even bother reading the whole article, putting a BUICK in a head to head with German cars....and then placing it second......FAIL.

It takes more than gadgets and leather to make a car 'luxury', and the ass on a cracker styling of a Buick edges it right out. I mean, I would never own a Cadillac either.........but at least I could see a reason for it to be in a test like this.

But a BUICK!?!!?!!?
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #49
GENHD76
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

I have both a 13 Regal (my girl friends) and a 15 328i in my garage. The BMW seems to do everything a just a little bit better than the Buick. Is it enough to justify the $17,000 price premium??? I often wonder. The Buick has much better sound system controls, has much less road noise and is more comfortable on long trips. This in not a really an apples to apples comparison but the bottom line is that the Regal is really a decent car.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #50
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
LMAO

A Buick?

Didn't even bother reading the whole article, putting a BUICK in a head to head with German cars....and then placing it second......FAIL.

It takes more than gadgets and leather to make a car 'luxury', and the ass on a cracker styling of a Buick edges it right out. I mean, I would never own a Cadillac either.........but at least I could see a reason for it to be in a test like this.

But a BUICK!?!!?!!?
But putting all biases and preconceived notions aside, what if it is a very good car? Companies change and go from bad to good and good to bad. Japanese cars were once considered very unreliable, and Volvo used to sell lots of cars.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #51
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K
The CLA is a terrible car with horrendous styling. Looks like its melting lol.
I think all mercs look like they're melting. The rear end styling get a "poor" rating from me.

I guess people like that look though....or they just want to be seen as a Mercedes driver.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #52
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
LMAO

A Buick?

But a BUICK!?!!?!!?
Modern buicks are pretty nice. I get one every once a while as a rental and they're pretty competent except for numb and overboosted steering. The suspension and interior are good otherwise. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for somebody who had different requirements than me.

As they say for stocks: "Past performance is not an indicator of future performance."
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #53
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
What would you pick?
In Canada, a WRX STI runs for the same price as most of the vehicles in the article (Minus the Regal). Once again, personal opinion. If I wanted an amazing driving experience, I'd get the WRX STI....if I wanted glam factor, I'd get the CLA.

That being said - my opinion is totally bias. We have a CLA in the family and it gets more curb attention from the ladies than my 435 Msport does. Just saying...lol
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #54
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
But putting all biases and preconceived notions aside, what if it is a very good car? Companies change and go from bad to good and good to bad. Japanese cars were once considered very unreliable, and Volvo used to sell lots of cars.
Obviously things are personal preference and choice. However reality must enter into any real comparison. Buicks are great cars for what they are, and for who they are for. But to compare one to a CLA or a 3-series is just not accurate IMHO

I do not find the Buick's to be attractive or enticing at all. They are revolting to me. As much as they are trying to MARKET to young consumers, the cars still look like slightly curvy reprints of the old Buicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Modern buicks are pretty nice. I get one every once a while as a rental and they're pretty competent except for numb and overboosted steering. The suspension and interior are good otherwise. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for somebody who had different requirements than me.

As they say for stocks: "Past performance is not an indicator of future performance."

I have ridden in new Buicks, my mother in law owns a new Verano......I've ridden in it, I've driven it.......it is NOT a good car. She likes it, that's all that's important, but objectively.....it is far below a similar priced VW in almost every way. Sound systems and backup camera's do not make a car good.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:03 AM   #55
Paladucky
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Gran Coupe

Can't say anything about the drive since I haven't driven any of these cars, but aesthetically speaking the Buick is ghastly. Uninspired design, nothing about it on the outside looks luxurious or premium. The interior is fine though.

The CLA is by far the ugliest Mercedes but I tend to think of Mercedes in general as by far the most aesthetically pleasing Luxury cars (dig the hood emblem, the larger grill emblem). The front of the CLA is aggressive looking, the rear is controversial but I think it works. The side profile is horrendous. The interior is on par with other Mercs, which is to say, pretty damn nice.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2015, 02:27 AM   #56
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
my list would be
1. 320 for RWD, Space, and tunable engine.
2. CLA for the logo(yes i like mercedes), design.
3. CC for space and it looks someone decent.
4. buick? buick who? I don't care how well it drives. call me a brand whore. i will not drive a buick.
You asked for it.....You are a brand whore

I have had buick sedans as rental cars and I think they have come a long way. We have Buick Enclave the family and it is a great SUV. I am really surprised by how nice it drives, its interior, its power, its fuel economy. I personally wouldn't want one but that's because I'm a badge whore too.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #57
Minkia
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe w/ a clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
In Canada, a WRX STI runs for the same price as most of the vehicles in the article (Minus the Regal). Once again, personal opinion. If I wanted an amazing driving experience, I'd get the WRX STI....if I wanted glam factor, I'd get the CLA.

That being said - my opinion is totally bias. We have a CLA in the family and it gets more curb attention from the ladies than my 435 Msport does. Just saying...lol
the sti would never be mistaken for luxury as it has too much of a racer boy conotation to it especially with that big wing. i agree though, its hella fun to drive.

the buick should have never made this list no matter how anyone tries to defend it. cross shopping figures are probably very very low. even the cc is a stretch.

the cla is nice, merc obviously wanting to appeal to a younger demographic but i cant help but think "poser" when i see anyone driving them. sorry, just speaking the troof.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #58
nürburgring
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i M-Sport Wagon

As someone that has owned two Audi's and a VW, I looked at both Audi and VW before moving to BMW.

The A3 is a nice car and I loved the tech but it was so small that adult rear passengers 5'10 or taller rub their head on the roof liner. The 2.0T with Quattro removes 3 cubic feet of trunk space for only 10 cubic feet total. You're better off buying a Golf.

The CLA was also a nice car but it also has a very weird back seat. While your head doesn't rub on the roof liner, your view is completely blocked from the curve of the side windows. It is the oddest thing. Plus many of the cars on the lot were a whopping $42K.

The 320i would have none of these limitations.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #59
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
You asked for it.....You are a brand whore

I have had buick sedans as rental cars and I think they have come a long way. We have Buick Enclave the family and it is a great SUV. I am really surprised by how nice it drives, its interior, its power, its fuel economy. I personally wouldn't want one but that's because I'm a badge whore too.
I can't speak for termigni but I doubt very much he is a "brand whore", I know I am not and I expected such a comment.

I do prefer European cars, not for the "badge" but simply because of how they are designed. There's nothing wrong with that at all and pointing out that the Buick's have NOTHING in common with European designed cars and comparing them is ridiculous doesn't make one a "brand whore".

I don't know how anyone can look at a Regal (I passed one this morning and again was reminded how hideously "old" and 50s they are designed) and seriously compare it to a European sedan.

If we're brand whores, than you are wearing Buick blinders. LMAO

If they had replaced the Regal with a Taurus I would have still questioned it a little as it's not really seen as a traditional "luxury" vehicle (neither is Buick BTW), but dear god it's head and shoulders better than a freaking Buick.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #60
Minkia
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe w/ a clutch

nothing wrong with being a badge whore. be honest, take your bimmer and place a kia emblem on it and ask yourself whether you would still drive it proudly. we're all paying a premium for that badge whether one admits it or not.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #61
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkia View Post
the sti would never be mistaken for luxury as it has too much of a racer boy conotation to it especially with that big wing. i agree though, its hella fun to drive.

the buick should have never made this list no matter how anyone tries to defend it. cross shopping figures are probably very very low. even the cc is a stretch.

the cla is nice, merc obviously wanting to appeal to a younger demographic but i cant help but think "poser" when i see anyone driving them. sorry, just speaking the troof.
I feel you - the fam was cross shopping the CLA and 320 recently and I just couldn't stop comparing the 320 to my 435. Extremely unfair comparison - I know. But both cars look so damn similar on the inside, I couldn't shake making the comparison. We decided on the CLA because it was a completely different brand altogether and a very different driving experience. Timing the turbo on the CLA is a hoot and its whine is sublime. That being said, might have been a different outcome if I didn't already have a 435.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #62
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
FWD v RWD. 'Nuff said. In that grouping, the 320 wins every time. I hate FWD cars.
      09-03-2015, 11:57 PM   #63
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
I can't speak for termigni but I doubt very much he is a "brand whore", I know I am not and I expected such a comment.

I do prefer European cars, not for the "badge" but simply because of how they are designed. There's nothing wrong with that at all and pointing out that the Buick's have NOTHING in common with European designed cars and comparing them is ridiculous doesn't make one a "brand whore".

I don't know how anyone can look at a Regal (I passed one this morning and again was reminded how hideously "old" and 50s they are designed) and seriously compare it to a European sedan.

If we're brand whores, than you are wearing Buick blinders. LMAO

If they had replaced the Regal with a Taurus I would have still questioned it a little as it's not really seen as a traditional "luxury" vehicle (neither is Buick BTW), but dear god it's head and shoulders better than a freaking Buick.

My comment about him being a brand whore was an attempt at a humorous reply since he asked in his post to be called a brand whore. Geesh.

And here is a little fun fact: The Buick Regal is a "badge engineered" Opel Insignia, a german car designed and produced by Opel, a german automobile manufacturer headquartered in, you guessed it, Germany. So apparently Buick Regals do have something in common with European-designed car. Here's a link for further info the topic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Insignia

I think the Regal is a nice car. I've rented one and I was impressed. It happens to be a Buick and I have several decades of feeling that Buick are for old people, therefore I'm not personally interested in buying a Buick. If they sold the same car in the USA as an Opel I would like the car more. When I worked in Europe, my company cars were Opel Vectras and Opel Omegas and I loved them.

And finally, I didn't call you or anybody but myself a brand whore so I don't know where this Buick Blinder comment comes into play I was simply joking back to the person who said "so call me a brand whore". Geesh again.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #64
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I owned a 2012 Regal GS manual transmission. It was a great car, a lot of the German ergonomic touches. It has a console dial that really sold me on the idrive system for BMW.

The 2.0T is also a great motor and that car handled great.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #65
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

LOL on the Buick hate here. As said, it's a German car with an Buick badge. Doesn't drive like a big American car at all. '14-15 has the improved engine out of the ATS and CTS. VERY happy with the one we picked up for my wife.

Funny side note, when I see most F30's, they are driven by women. When I see most '14-15 Regals, driven by men. Picking the CLA as the one to come across as "sexiest", again comical.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #66
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy27 View Post
We laugh that some car magazine rated it 4th but Mercedes will sell a shit load of these. They win in the end as they are in the business of making money. Most folks would rather say they have the baby cheapo benz than a buick anything.
They do sell a shit ton of them and I judge every dumbass who buys one.
Appreciate 0