F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 Paddle Shifter Failure
Studio RSR

03-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
Revoltos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i

F30 Paddle Shifter Failure

Struggled to find anyone who has had this issue via google so thought I would ask here. I noticed a couple of weeks ago my down shifter wasnt working. The up shifter was fine. I took my air bag off yesterday to check connections, everything seemed fine. Today niether of them are working! Does this seem like it could be an issue with the little steering wheel loom behind the air bag. Triptronic on the gear shifter is absolutely fine.

Cheers all.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoltos View Post
Struggled to find anyone who has had this issue via google so thought I would ask here. I noticed a couple of weeks ago my down shifter wasnt working. The up shifter was fine. I took my air bag off yesterday to check connections, everything seemed fine. Today niether of them are working! Does this seem like it could be an issue with the little steering wheel loom behind the air bag. Triptronic on the gear shifter is absolutely fine.

Cheers all.
Does down shifter plug into up shifter on U.K. RHD cars?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 04:30 AM   #3
Revoltos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I believe it does share a connection. I purchased a new loom for the shifters from BMW and tried another down shifter and still nothing. Up always works. Down is dead.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe it does share a connection. I purchased a new loom for the shifters from BMW and tried another down shifter and still nothing. Up always works. Down is dead.
If you tried another down shifter and still dead, and the down shifter plugs into up shifter, than the issue is clearly in the up shifter.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
Revoltos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Do you think it could be that? I never thought the up shifter could be to blame as it has always worked. I'll swap it back to the standard msport one tomorrow and report back.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 08:31 PM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you think it could be that? I never thought the up shifter could be to blame as it has always worked. I'll swap it back to the standard msport one tomorrow and report back.
The down plugs into the up....that’s what I wanted to verify on RHD cars, same as LHD.

The up then passes BOTH SIGNALS on a bus. The up is working, so the wiring is working.

Obviously the UP isn’t passing through the commands from the down shifter, as you have tried another down shifter.

That’s really the only thing left as you have eliminated the other obvious factors.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 03-25-2018 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 03:17 AM   #7
Revoltos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
The down plugs into the up....that’s what I wanted to verify on RHD cars, same as LHD.

The up then passes BOTH SIGNALS on a bus. The up is working, so the wiring is working.

Obviously the UP isn’t passing through the commands from the down shifter, as you have tried another down shifter.

That’s really the only thing left as you have eliminated the other obvious factors.
So I got around to trying this the other day, swapped the up shifter to a spare and no luck. Still works going up but not going down. I cant seem to find any wiring diagrams in my Bently book to check the steering wiring to FEM wiring. Does anyone know where there is a resource to check it out?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 04:55 AM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I got around to trying this the other day, swapped the up shifter to a spare and no luck. Still works going up but not going down. I cant seem to find any wiring diagrams in my Bently book to check the steering wiring to FEM wiring. Does anyone know where there is a resource to check it out?
Top is M Steering Wheel, bottom is non-M. The difference is the color of 1 wire between the paddle and the steering column switch cluster.

As you can see from diagram and I have attempted to tell you, if the up paddle is working, it’s not the wiring to the steering column cluster or subsequent wiring to the FEM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
Revoltos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the diagram. It does seem a simple setup. I have put a new steering wheel loom in and tried another set of shifters but there has been no change. I understand the circuit sends two signals via a resistance change in the circuit. Each shifter creates a different resistance. Im wondering if its the FEM or the gearbox shift control module that interprets the signal then passes it on? There are other failure points in tbos setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 06:51 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the diagram. It does seem a simple setup. I have put a new steering wheel loom in and tried another set of shifters but there has been no change. I understand the circuit sends two signals via a resistance change in the circuit. Each shifter creates a different resistance. Im wondering if its the FEM or the gearbox shift control module that interprets the signal then passes it on? There are other failure points in tbos setup.
Looking at the diagram, I do not think that is true.

david51
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 01:35 AM   #11
Revoltos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well something else is clearly at fault here. Thanks for your help anyway David. Think it will be a trip to BMW now.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 07:38 AM   #12
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Looking at the diagram, I do not think that is true.

david51
If he’s tried a new loom and shifters it must logically be the unit that is interpreting the signals that the shifters are sending no?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
If he’s tried a new loom and shifters it must logically be the unit that is interpreting the signals that the shifters are sending no?
I still think it’s the paddle and he should try another known working pair at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #14
Revoltos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I put my original set of m sport shifters back on. They worked fine up in till the day I swapped them for F80 ones. The F80 ones worked fine for months and then the down stopped working. Putting my old ones back on (also with the battery disconnected as I had the airbag out) did not sort the issue. To have two sets of paddles fail is very unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #15
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Had the same issues with my paddles. BMW replaced these parts under warranty:

61-35-8-707-674 - Front Control Unit
61-31-9-351-143 - Switch Unit Steering
32-30-6-854-771 - Connecting Line, Steering
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #16
Revoltos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bloody hell. It would appear BMW fired the parts cannon at the problem then XxThe_RemedyXx? Did they give any information to you regarding why they changed the loom, the szl and the control module?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #17
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Any solution to this? I am having a different issue but still with only the down shift.

I installed F80 paddles back in June and have had zero issues until last week. Now, at random times when I click the downshift, it downshifts twice instead of once... very annoying especially when trying to go from 3 -> 2 and instead it jumps from 3 -> 1.

I've checked to see if it's getting stuck or if I'm holding it too long, but it seems completely random. At this point, wondering if the wiring is going bad...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #18
aps
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anshu View Post
Any solution to this? I am having a different issue but still with only the down shift.

I installed F80 paddles back in June and have had zero issues until last week. Now, at random times when I click the downshift, it downshifts twice instead of once... very annoying especially when trying to go from 3 -> 2 and instead it jumps from 3 -> 1.

I've checked to see if it's getting stuck or if I'm holding it too long, but it seems completely random. At this point, wondering if the wiring is going bad...

Bump, still getting this issue although even more sporadically. Sometimes it doesn't happen for days - enough that I feel comfortable that the problem is gone, and then all of a sudden it will happen - keeps catching me off guard.

It has yet to fail entirely though, so not like the signal is not being received...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #19
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bump, still getting this issue although even more sporadically. Sometimes it doesn't happen for days - enough that I feel comfortable that the problem is gone, and then all of a sudden it will happen - keeps catching me off guard.

It has yet to fail entirely though, so not like the signal is not being received...
Clearly an issue with paddle electronics where the circuit is detected complete.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #20
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Does your shifter (not the paddles) work correctly for both up and down shifts when in Manual mode? I had a similar issue on my 08 E90 335 and the cause was several broken/frayed wires in the shifter harness. See this thread for reference: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Orion4
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #21
aps
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Clearly an issue with paddle electronics where the circuit is detected complete.
Can you expand a little? Do you mean the circuit is detected complete twice? I'm not the most electrically inclined...

I'm not sure how to go about isolating which part of all the electronics is the problem. Other than just swapping out harnesses and paddles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Does your shifter (not the paddles) work correctly for both up and down shifts when in Manual mode? I had a similar issue on my 08 E90 335 and the cause was several broken/frayed wires in the shifter harness. See this thread for reference: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Orion4
No problems with the actual shifter. Have been using that in manual mode most of the time over the last couple weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 12:32 PM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you expand a little? Do you mean the circuit is detected complete twice? I'm not the most electrically inclined...
You nailed it.
Appreciate 0