F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

12-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

[90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit

UPDATE! we got armrest USB and A2DP wroking. Will update this thread soon, still trying to put evrything back in one piece

Don't think there has been a full documented DIY for HU_NBT yet so im posting one here.

This is a project Aritaurus and I are working on, it is still a WIP, some functions are not working. I didn't get pictures for parts of the process but feel free to PM me to clarify some details if needed, I'll try to write down everything I remember.
We have install this NBT unit into 2 cars, one with CIC and one with ENTRY HU's so I'll do it write up for both.

Phase One. Physical

Step One

Take off your dash trim (pictures are from my old AMP+sub install DIY)
Start from the right side of the trip to the left. pry from under the silver trim and when you get enough out you will be able to pull out the entire piece.

Once you get the piece out, unplug the door lock and vent control buttons. just tug on them and they will come out.

Step Two

Pry off the trim piece under the HVAC controls. just use your fingers and gently pull down from under the HVAC controls. takes little to no strength at all to get this piece out.

Step Three

There are Four (4) Torx 20 screws holding the control unit in place, one in each corner. Unscrew it and unplug the connector on the back. (this takes a lot of force the first time pulling it out. felt like i was about to break mine)

Step Four

There are 2 Torx 20 screws holding the head unit in. one on each side, unscrew and pull the head unit out.
There are numerous connections on the back unplug them.
1) big block of wires there's a latch. unlatch and pull. This one is the shortest so unhooking it first lets you pull the unit out more so you have more room to work with.
2) disconnect the HSD connectors, one for the screen (pink/purple) and one for USB (white/beige). Pretty straight forward there's a latch, push it with your thumb and pull.
Pink/Purple : Screen connector
white : armrest USB/AUX (HU_Entry only)
beige : glove box USB (HU_CIC only)
3) The rest of the cables...complete PITA... They have a white tab on them. Pull the white tab away form the connection and use your thumb to press the white tab against the actual cable and pull the connector out.
Black : FM radio antenna (AM antenna as well for HU_CIC)
White : AM radio antenna (HU_Entry only)
Pink : Aerial GPS receiver probably for Sirius Satelite radio
Blue : GPS receiver

The back of HU_Entry is not marked which color goes where so mark it yourself somewhere.

Step Five

Remove the Fakra connection heads (plastic pieces) for Blue, Black, Pink, White.
Take a set of vice grips and clamp down on the head and pliers holding the metal cable at the back and pull straight up and the plastic piece will pop off (watch the surrounding area so you don't hit anything. i smacked my mirror pretty hard with the vice grip.

Reason for doing so, look at the following picture:

Blue (left) is the connector that goes into HU_NBT.
Black (right) is the connector in your car. They don't match and will not fit into the slot for HU_NBT.
Middle is how the connector will look after you remove the plastic piece.

I guess a way around this is to buy an adapter cable. I'm not sure if they make that type of cable but I assume they do somewhere.

Step Six

Remove the Screen.
ontop of the vents in the center dashboard there are 2 Torx 20 screws, unscrew them. Be careful doing this because it can easily fall into the vents and my assumption is you're very screwed if it damages the lower in there.
After these two screws are out you just pull the screen straight up and it will come out.

Step Seven

On the back of the NBT the fakra connections. trim them off or else it will not make full contact with the port. Do it for Black , White , Pink , Blue
You only need to do it for blue if you're coming from CIC. If you're coming from Entry then you can buy a fakra GPS receiver from ebay. that will save you time and effort form dragging a wire form the rood down to the HU.

These connectors:

Note: if you buy adapters you can skip thus step

Step Eight
Plug everything back in. make sure you have the canbus filter or else navigation will not work. can filter looks like this:
http://bimmerretrofit.com/store/imag...wm-500x500.jpg

Note: tape the fakra connections down to the head unit to ensure it does not pop off while driving. cause they are a bit loose and there's no way to secure it unless you buy and adapter.

Step Nine
Put everything back together and you will have a somewhat functioning head unit. GPS, Radio, music library (if the previous car came with some stored) will work, all the menus/functions and sound will work. Enjoy!

Note: We are still trying to figure out how to get USB/AUX and Bluetooth to work. stay tuned

Step Ten
ONLY REQUIRED FOR THOSE WITH HiFi SOUND SYSTEMS
If you don't get any sound coming out of the unit you will need to do this.
Go to the trunk, find the amp. Left side underneath the black cover.

Unplug the plug there. find the thinnest BLACK wire on that bunch of cables. This is your trigger wire. For those unfamiliar with amps, this wire receives a signal form your head unit to tell the amp to turn on. if your amp is not on, you won't get any sound.

Cut this wire. tap into the end that goes to the amp. and wire it straight to the fuse box in the trunk. The fuse box in the trunk only turns on when your doors are unlocks and shuts off after a period of time so don;t worry about battery draining.

To plug it into your fuse box you have 2 options:
1) jam it into a free fuse slot
2) buy something called add-a-circuit. Looks like this:

I recommend option 2

Step Eleven

Bring the USB connector from the combox to the head unit.

1) unplug the USB HSD connector.

2) unscrew the hooks for trunk net with a T40

3) Take your bottom part of your seats out.
Just grab the seats and pull straight up.
same thing with the driver side shoulder rest part of the seats. (don't know the exact term but the part in between the door and the actual seats)

4) Find the thickest black cable or trace the USB HSD cable from the combox and start unwrapping it form the bunch of wires. it goes from combox -> shoulder piece -> front of the seats -> middle lump in middle rear seats -> armrest slot.

Once you get as close to the arm rest as you can. stop

Step Twelve

Take apart unplug the HSD USB connection from the arm rest.

1) if you look inside your arm rest there's the USB port is on its own plastic piece and you can just lift it out of place with little to no force. unplug the usb connector. (its white on this end)

2) take apart the rear vents. Start from the top left corner, pry, then go top right corner and down to left and right corners.

3) at this point when you look inside you'll notice there's a plastic vent piece, just pull it out. its long and goes all the way to the front, don;t worry its very easy to put this back.

4) Drag the cable from inside the arm rest as close to marked location (2) as possible. the lines show you how the cable is routed. goes into the arm rest at position 1, goes to position 3 and then to position A.

When you get the cable to position 2, fold the carpet down to position A and find the other end of the cable.

Grab the cable from position A and pull as hard as you can. The carpet is too tight for you to break the clip holding the cable down so pultting it will break it and free the cable completely.

5) Drag the cable up through the left side of the center console, you can tuck it in underneath the plastic. in the area underneath your steering wheel there is a hole you can feed the cable through to the back of the head unit.

Step Thirteen

Zip tie the cables so they arent loose and dangling everywhere and put everything back together.

Thats it for now, I will update this post once we figure out more.

Last edited by Chris@codemybimmer; 01-03-2014 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Coding section

Phase Two. Coding

Change your car's build date to 11/12 under FA

Those coming from HU_Entry
Add VO: 609 - Professional Navigation
Change VO: 6NH to 6NS - It's like 6NK but for NBT
VO code HU_NBT and Kombi
Done

Those coming from HU_CIC
Remove VO: 633, 6FL, and 6VC
Change VO: 6NK/6NR/6MH/6N(whatever you have) to 6NS
VO code HU_NBT and Kombi

Last edited by Chris@codemybimmer; 12-07-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

What works and what doesnt for the time being

WORKS
almost everything
Almost everything! only bluetooth calling and optical wiring left to be done

DOESN'T WORK
1) Bluetooth phone calling doesnt work because the mic is still wired to the combox

Last edited by Chris@codemybimmer; 01-04-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
whatnot22.50
      12-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

You forgot to mention installing the screen, but I guess this is just drop in replacement.

Could this be further complicated by region? For example I am in the UK and my basic head unit has DAB radio. Could this change connections between units?
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungming View Post
You need to unplug the cables from the combox at the trunk and route it back to the NBT

You need to open up the side door sill cover to get it done
It looks like the signal for the USB armrest is coming from the combox. Last night, I disconnected the combox completely and immediately, my USB port in the armrest lost power. I'm going to probably purchase this cable and just run it from the head unit to the USB port directly so it bypasses the combox and I won't need to run that existing cable to the NBT.

http://www.bmwpartsupply.com/OEMPart...119251703.html

I'm still not sure what else the AUX cable in the combox does because when I disconnected my combox completely, I was no longer able to see the song titles on my KOMBI so I hope there's no other internal connections going to it. There's only two connections going into the combox - beige USB and black AUX cable.

I might also need to get an aftermarket Bluetooth antenna because there is no Bluetooth Aerial Antenna on the combox or on the CIC so my gut feeling is that it might be just integrated to the combox.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman
You forgot to mention installing the screen, but I guess this is just drop in replacement.

Could this be further complicated by region? For example I am in the UK and my basic head unit has DAB radio. Could this change connections between units?
oops
can't believe I missed that out lol
I'll fix the post later
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The cable you quoted is too short to route the NBT to the armrest!

I have the cable and it does not have enough length.

Best is to disconnect the AUX/MIC, BT and USB cable from the combox at the trunk and route the long cable back to the NBT, it's not that hard, just need to open up the side door sill cover to access the cables
My Combox only has two cables connected to it; Aux and USB. Did you also go from CIC to NBT? Also, do you need patch cables to extend it?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Timur
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: BMW 320

Thanks for the post !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Looks like we have some problems. I'm not sure how I can part the combox because as soon as I disconnect the combox, the following items will stop working.

1) BMW startup/warning chime
2) Instrument cluster no longer displays my entertainment list but pressing on the buttons will change music tracks
3) Trip computer no longer works
4) Efficient dynamics no longer works
5) Service info no longer displayed

I had another look at the can-bus cable and it looks like some of the Pinouts are going going straight into the combox. Aside from running the AUX and the Armrest USB, I might have to change the pinouts again for the can-bus cable for the cluster to communicate with the NBT without having to go through the combox.

This might explain why for those of you who went from HU_ENTRY to HU_NBT, all your gauges and service info will not work.

As for the USB, if you're going from CIC to NBT, you will have a beige connector anyways which goes into the NBT just fine but even with that, I still don't get any connectivity on the glovebox USB port. I'm going to try and take apart my glovebox and armrest, use the armrest USB with the cable that's going into the glovebox and see if that works.

If I can at least get USB working, that means I'll be able to get my navigation and I'll finally be able to load some music to the system.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Bluetooth now works! But for telephone audio only. I took the FAKRA connector for the satellite radio and connected it to the beige FAKRA on the NBT and I can now pair a phone to it. Of course though, the other end will not be able to hear me since the bluetooth mic still goes into the combox.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
This might explain why for those of you who went from HU_ENTRY to HU_NBT, all your gauges and service info will not work.
it worked for mine when i let the car sleep and wake up again
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Nice write up! Thanks for sharing.

I told you already though, the old Combox needs to be completely disconnected, the Fiber Loop Terminated, and the USB, Aux, Bluetooth and Microphone (for CIC only) need to be rerouted to the back of NBT Head Unit.

Also, the Pinout on USB Port wiring is different, and needs to be rewired.

And as I think you have already discovered, the main CAN Bus Pinout is different too and needs to be rewired.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post

I told you already though, the old Combox needs to be completely disconnected, the Fiber Loop Terminated, and the USB, Aux, Bluetooth and Microphone (for CIC only) need to be rerouted to the back of NBT Head Unit.

And as I think you have already discovered, the main CAN Bus Pinout is different too and needs to be rewired.
Yea, we just haven't had time to do all that yet lol
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #14
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The armrest USB and AUX are two HSD cables that are connected to the combox. I wasn't able to locate the bluetooth antenna and bluetooth mic but I think those are integrated to those fiber cables that are part of my CAN bus cable in the head unit. I'm still not entirely sure where the service info and the BMW chime comes from. As soon as I disconnect the combox, my KOMBI stops displaying song titles, the BMW chime is gone and all trip info no longer display under vehicle info. Would you happen to have any literature that provides the pinouts for the CAN bus cable?

I don't think I'm going to go for a full perfect retrofit but if I can just get the nav, bmw apps and the usb working, I'll be happy with that. Of course, I'll lose all the bluetooth functionality but I guess it's a good trade off to be able to watch movies right off a external HDD.

Instead of running the beige HSD back to the head unit, I think I'm going to try and change the pinout for my glove box cable and use that as USB1.

I'm kind of hesitant to rewire/run too many cables because I still want to be able to fit the CIC back in without much effort when I take the car in for service. This vehicle is also a lease so I don't want too much work to uninstall the system and put the old one back in.

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 12-08-2013 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm coming for HU_ENTRY and my music selection works on my KOMBI entry unit which is the KOMBI LOW

Service info works, all works except Navi which I haven't import the FSC code! LOL
how did you rewire your usb to get it to work?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
I have 2 options, I have extra USB cable and I temporary use it for updating maps

second thing I did was unplug the USB cable from 6NS combox at the trunk and reroute it back to the NBT

This requires you to open up the door sill to take the cable out but it is pretty simple
The USB Pinout was the same? Coming from CIC, it has to be rewired as the Pinout on the NBT Head Unit for USB Connection is different.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #17
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The USB Pinout was the same? Coming from CIC, it has to be rewired as the Pinout on the NBT Head Unit for USB Connection is different.
My glove box USB cable fits perfectly fine into the beige HSD port of the NBT and it provides power to port but there's no data connectivity.

Before I start striping the cable and changing out the pinout, is there any possibility that the glove box USB is configured differently to the armrest USB? I thought about just taking out the back plating of the armrest USB then connect the glove box HSD cable to the armrest USB to see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #18
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
By the way, this NBT unit has the Sirrius XM sticker on it and it also has the pink FAKRA connection for the Sat Radio antenna. Maybe all Euro and NA NBT head units have Sirrius XP integrated.

My NBT has FM1 and FM2 connections and my CIC was able to do this with just one antenna connector. I think I might just buy the FSC code for the satellite radio for the donor vehicle and just use that on the NBT for radio.

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 12-09-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #19
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

A UK one wouldn't. The UK NBT is a DAB unit to match the UK radio standard. Think the Euro ones are just FM only from what one of the eBay sellers told me.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #20
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
A UK one wouldn't. The UK NBT is a DAB unit to match the UK radio standard. Think the Euro ones are just FM only from what one of the eBay sellers told me.
That would explain why AM won't show up on any of my menus. FM totally doesn't work since I have two antenna ports instead if the one on my CIC.

It's kind of weird how I have the pink antenna port and all the stickers for the XM radio though.

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 12-09-2013 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you are coming from CIC or CHAMP2 with 6NS combox, then the USB pinout is the same, if you are having 6NK or 6NL, then the USB pinout will be different
Hmm, I'm coming from CIC with 6NH factory but coded to 6NK but my beige wire fits into the NBT 100% just that it is routed to the glovebox USB.

Are you able to use your armrest USB and glove box USB port interchangably with that same beige cable?

Before touching the pinouts, I'm going to try and connect my armrest usb plate to the glovebox usb and see if it works with that beige cable.

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 12-09-2013 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #22
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

updated, usb and stereo bluetooth working!

Appreciate 0